Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in BKK (separate tickets)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:15 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Question Connecting in BKK (separate tickets)?

Suppose you are flying into BKK (Bangkok airport) on one airline, then flying out later on a different airline (on different tickets). What amount of time between flights is "safe" as far as not missing the connection?

Incoming flight would be domestic on Air Asia, outgoing flight would be international on Cathay Pacific or Eva Air. Or is there a way to get these on one ticket without costing a lot more?

Alternatively, if a long layover is scheduled, what can be done nearby (assuming one has already been to Bangkok city)?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:03 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hello tji,
Cathay or Eva are both going to tell you 3 hours, but even so I wouldn't risk less than 2 hours for you to get your baggage, move to international, and if you are on a full flight, check in, then immigration CAN take 30 minutes, and you always have to leave 15 minutes in Bkk to find your gate and get through security. If you end up with some time on your hand and don't want to go into town, check what trade fair is on eg homewares, jewellery, food/beverage and if it suits you, cab a cab to the trade fair centre which is close by. Even if you are not in the business, friends I have taken with me have found them very interesting although frustrating as you often can't buy single items. enjoy your travels.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I would also recommend allowing at least 3 hours. In addition to baggage claim, it does take awhile to get between the domestic terminal to the international terminals. And check-in for the large international flights can take quite some time. (If you are connecting to a TG nonstop to JFK or LAX, ALL checked luggage is examined by hand.) If you do wind up having some time on your hands after checking into your international flight, I've found that having some tom yung goong, larb moo and a Singha at one of the two outdoor cafes in the international terminals is a pleasant way to kill an excess hour, especially if you have a friend or two with you.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tjl
Incoming flight would be domestic on Air Asia, outgoing flight would be international on Cathay Pacific or Eva Air. Or is there a way to get these on one ticket without costing a lot more?
Yes. If you can get access to the fare rules, look for "END ON END TICKETING." If both your tickets allow end on end ticketing, you can get everything on one ticket for the same price.

Cheers
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by tjl
Any flights in Air Asia are very high risk for delays, especially in the evening. I wouldn't risk an international connection on the same day unless you have a backup plan (ie. the ability to switch to a later connecting flight).

Alternatively, if a long layover is scheduled, what can be done nearby (assuming one has already been to Bangkok city)?
Not much, Don Muang is one of Bangkok's more boring neighborhoods. But Bangkok proper is a pretty big place, have you really "been" to it all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.