Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Quality of phone connections in Bangkok?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a short stay in Bangkok. I will need to be on the phone a lot (with the US) during my stay. I plan on using a prepaid SIM on a GSM phone, as well as the hotel landline (with a calling card).

All the times I have called Bangkok from the US, the phone connection has sounded terrible, "third-world quality." Did I have bad luck, or are the connections really this bad? Are outgoing circuits overloaded often? Are any mobile carriers or calling cards better than the other ones?

Maybe I'll just Skype it.

Thank you for any tips.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Bad Luck

I have no experience with the wireless phones, but on the land lines I think you have just had bad luck.

I have both received a call from BKK to the US and made a land line call from BKK to the US. (Both calls originated at hotels in BKK.)

Both calls sounded like the person was next door.

I hope you have better luck this time
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:03 pm

I have a land line (for ADSL) in the apartment I keep in BKK and it works fine. I use AIS for my mobile and it works fine too.

The Internet is a problem sometimes though - so Skype may not be a good solution! Limited pipe in and out of Thailand.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have had bad luck with things like skype in BKK but cell phones and land lines have been fine for my calls to the US. Now, it may very well depend on the network you are using for your calling card though. I have had situations when one card would have a terrible connection but another card or direct dial from the hotel would be fine. Cell phone is just like here...it depends on where you are standing. Also, I have always had problems when roaming with my cell US cell phone in BKK with poor connections and bad call quality. I now just foward my cell phone to a local cell phone and that works better.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
You don't mention when you'll be in Bangkok but be aware that the mobile networks are getting overloaded here at the moment. Calling between mobile networks within Thailand can be very difficult at peak times and I get "Network Busy" messages a lot even when trying to call internationally. If you have the hotel landline as a backup you should be OK but people calling you may have trouble connecting (note: I'm not 100% sure if people will have problems calling from overseas to a Bangkok mobile, I've just heard a few anecdotal stories of problems)

The problems should be resolved in a few months but may drag on longer.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:07 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
I have a Thai Orange (now called True Move, I think) SIM card that I put in my phone when I'm in BKK. I've made many calls to the US on it, and the connection is often great. By using a particular international dialling code / gateway (009?), the cost comes out to around 7 baht per minute, which I find very acceptable. Yes, VOIP is cheaper -- but it's much more restrictive, and the quality is generally poorer than what I get on my Thai mobile.

Enjoy BKK,
Michael
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Excellent advice. Many thanks to all.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:50 pm

You can buy a sim card and recharge cards at any 7-11. Make certain that you bring your passport, as they need to record all the info. For a cheaper rate, on your cell phone, dial 0081 or 0091 and then the area code. The reception I get on 1 2 GO is very good, but the lines are getting crowded, and you may have to dial a few times.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:43 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by KonaHi
Make certain that you bring your passport, as they need to record all the info.
I have bought multiple 1-2 cards in Thailand and never, never been asked for a passport. Since SIMs are available not only at 7-11, but also on street corners, they are untraceable.

You are right about "+8" being the the cheapest way to call the U.S. and Canada. It is about 6 baht per minute versus $1.99 with T-mobile
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I have a Nokia 6310i tri band and it works fine in Bangkok on their Orange network. Just occasionally I can't dial out as the lines appear to be busy but this is very rare.

Doug
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Same Same

I use 1 2 GO in Thailand and works just as well or bad as my cell service here. You'll get bad reception or drop calls in certain areas or buildings.
I've call back to the US dialing 0081 or 0091 first and thought it was quite reasonable.
Good Luck!! ^
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mobile phone network here currently is nearly useless. AIS/1-2-Call (aka the Shingapore Mobile Telephone Company) has been experiencing extreme loss of signal and call connection/completion problems. SMS'es seem to go through to/from 1-2-Call, maybe 50% of the time (after hitting re-send). Calls usually require 10 ~ 15 redials for completion. Calls from my landline seem to be going through 100%, to other landlines and dTAC.

I guess my recommendation as of today would be to get a dTAC (Happy) pre-paid SIM, but try to rely on a landline or SKYPE as mych as you can. Another FT'er was using SKYPE here ion his recent visit and raved about the service/quality.

AFAIK, convenience stores do not sell pre-paid SIMs, but they do sell top-up cards and pre-paid calling cards. Mobile phone shops, of which there are more than convenience stores, sell pre-paid SIMs. AFAIK, pre-apaid SIMs need to be registered to an ID card (for a Thai) or a passport. I know when I first bought my pre-paid SIM this requirement was not in place but I did have to register by 31 Dec. 2005 or face loss of service. There is a short form the shop needs to fill out, and an original passport was required in my case, and in every case I know of first-hand.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
On my last trip to Bangkok I used Skype extensively over the internet service at my hotel. It worked well about 75% of the time, and poorly other times. Interestingly, when it didn't work, we'd use the "talk" option on Yahoo IM, and then switched to Skype and it would work.

Cheap, too!
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:22 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
I spend alot of time on the phone when I am in BKK. I have a pre-paid sim that I guess is now useless per transpac. I used skpe on my last trip about 12 hours of talk time and never had a problem calling US to a land line or cell. The calls to computers were a little bad. I stay at the westin if that matters.
I also use my Cingular cell server and have no problems texting or calling out.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I often use WebPhone.com or YahooVoiceOut for calling USA while I am in BKK. I have a very good headset and mic, sometimes it is very, very clear, sometimes not. I suspect it is due to Internet traffic from where I am at the time I make the call. FWIW, the calls seem to be very clear all morning BKK time, and get worse in the afternoon.

Yahoo messenger with friends (computer to computer) is free and I find it crystal clear.

I also use my 1-2-call SIM card and use 008 or 009 for about 7-baht/minute (16 cents) to USA. Call quality has always been very good, some redialing is sometime necessary but once the call goes through, I have not been cut off.

I also use this service - http://www.telcan.net - about 10 cents a minute is my cost for someone to call a toll-free number in the USA which rings my Thai cell phone. Quality is good. Using their callback service from Thailand mobile to USA is about 9 cents/minute. Quality also good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.