Wiki Posts
Search

BKK direct to Pattaya-doable?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2006, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
BKK direct to Pattaya-doable?

OK, is this doable? Our plane gets in at 11am in terminal 2. We need to collect our bags (unless we can persuade Kuwait airways to check them straight through), clear the formalities, get over to terminal 1 to catch the direct bus to Pattaya by noon. If we don't get to check the bags straight through (36 hour connection Cairo-Kuwait-Bangkok-Brisbane), we will have to stash the large ones in left luggage too.

Not sure how to get from terminal 1 to terminal 2-shuttle? Can this be done in this time?

Failing that, backup plan is taxi to Mo Chit, bus to Pattaya. How much is the taxi to Mo Chit? Do we need to take the toll road for a noonish trip?
Old May 21, 2006, 4:52 am
Original Poster

If we can get away with it, is it safe to check the bags straight through from Cairo to Brisbane? Routing has a 3 hour layover in KWI and a 36 hour layover in BKK. Both were first available connecting flights for the routing. Would they be likely to lose the bags? It's KU (terminal 2) transferring to TG (terminal 1).
Old May 21, 2006, 6:14 am

Terminal 1 and terminal 2 are the same building, all flights will disgorge into the same long hallway and your exit terminal is determined just by which of the two immigration points is closer. If arriving in T2, walk an extra 5-10 minutes towards the smaller gate numbers and you'll get to T1 immigration. Immigration (or, rather, the clipboard wavers trying to sort people into lines) very occasionally get snippy though if you try to immigrate through the 'wrong' terminal for your flight...

The main issue with the 60 minutes is that immigration lines are sometimes quite long. It's hit and miss, and rarely takes over 30 minutes even on a bad day, but I'd still advise on having a plan B -- direct taxis to Pattaya aren't all that expensive (B1200+ depending on your bargaining skills).

I don't think you'll be able to check through your bags if there's an >24 hour break in the middle, but I could be wrong. I hope you have a very good reason for wanting to go to Pattaya if you have just 36 hours to spare? Seems like a pointless hassle to me, the beaches are horrible and ol' Bangers itself has plenty of Pattaya's two main claims to fame, namely cheap booze and dodgy go-go girls.
Old May 21, 2006, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
OK, is this doable? Our plane gets in at 11am in terminal 2. We need to collect our bags (unless we can persuade Kuwait airways to check them straight through), clear the formalities, get over to terminal 1 to catch the direct bus to Pattaya by noon. If we don't get to check the bags straight through (36 hour connection Cairo-Kuwait-Bangkok-Brisbane), we will have to stash the large ones in left luggage too.

Not sure how to get from terminal 1 to terminal 2-shuttle? Can this be done in this time?

Failing that, backup plan is taxi to Mo Chit, bus to Pattaya. How much is the taxi to Mo Chit? Do we need to take the toll road for a noonish trip?
Timing: Cutting it very close - will really depend on the crowd at immigration and if any big planes landed right before you or not.

Taxi to Mo Chit:

Being you are in a hurry (it seems) spend the B40 for the tollway - it is worth it. Only my opinion, but the tollway is almost always worth it. Taxi to Mo Chit - I don't think it could be more than B150 including the B50 airport fee.

Can you catch a bus to Pattaya from the Chatuchak bus station? Or are you taking the Sky Train to Ekamai?
Old May 21, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Originally Posted by tedkarma
Taxi to Mo Chit - I don't think it could be more than B150 including the B50 airport fee.
Sounds about right - I live just past Chatuchak so go past Mo Chit. The taxi from the airport to our apartment is generally around B110-120 + B50 airport fee. On top of that is B20 for the tollway (it is still B20 for that section)
Old May 21, 2006, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks!

We don't want to spend 1500 baht for a direct taxi unless if we find another couple to share it with. We're a married couple so no go-go girls but we do want to see the Tiffany drag show. I booked a really pretty resort on the beach Rabbit Resort, got rave reviews on Tripadvisor. So it looks like unless we get very lucky we should plan on Mo Chit?
Old May 21, 2006, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Wow, and to think I had the Sheraton pick us up in their BMW last month.
Old May 21, 2006, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you miss that direct bus from BKK/Don Muang to Pattaya, and absolutely have to go to Pattaya, then negotiate with a taxi for 1,200 baht ( and you pay the tolls: ~ 200 baht ), and get it over with; you'll be at your resort in 2:15. By the time you taxi to the bus terminal (200 baht, all in airport fee, meter, tollway), find the right booth, buy two tickets (~ 110 baht each), find your way to the bus which has probably just left without you, then get dropped off near Pattaya and have to pay for transport to your resort, you'll be lucky to make it by showtime and will have saved all of $15. I've been to the Northern Bus Terminal at Mor Chit three times in the last week (don't ask), and it is very, very confusing. A hundred separate booths, for each route, with no signs in English.

There are at least two Tiffany-equivalent shows in Bangkok, so maybe consider staying in Bangkok with your bags?
Old May 22, 2006, 11:17 am
Original Poster

News flash! Over on LP's Thorntree, I was told that the Thai air bus direct to Pattaya has been discontinued. So it really depends on how much is left in the budget. How many people fit in a taxi? Since we are arriving from Kuwait, odds are that someone would be going to Pattaya. I could probably talk them into sharing a taxi.

This is the resort, it sounds very nice! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...t-Pattaya.html
Old May 22, 2006, 11:32 am
Suspended

I was told that the Thai air bus direct to Pattaya has been discontinued.
If there are 2 of you, forget about the Thai Airways bus service even if its still in service.

We took the bus a few years back and it was very,very slow. Though the driver agreed to drop us off at our hotel, most passengers were told to get off in town and they had to find their own way to their hotels.

We later found a transfer service located at the edge of Pattaya town; and for a very reasonable fare (cant remember the exact amount but not much more than the Thai bus for 2) it was a direct transfer from hotel to hotel, in a fairly new Toyota and a very careful driver. If only we had known earlier .......
Old May 23, 2006, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News flash! Over on LP's Thorntree, I was told that the Thai air bus direct to Pattaya has been discontinued. So it really depends on how much is left in the budget. How many people fit in a taxi? Since we are arriving from Kuwait, odds are that someone would be going to Pattaya. I could probably talk them into sharing a taxi.

This is the resort, it sounds very nice! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...t-Pattaya.html
Others might disagree but most Bangkok taxis are pretty small, and most of the trunk (boot) is taken up by the LPG tank, so getting four people and more than two pieces of luggage into one of these will be both challenging and result in an uncomfortable journey. This same taxi would be OK for two people. Sharing a car service (typically a 4-door dark green Volvo 740 sedan) would be OK for four people. Such a car can be arranged in advance via the hotel, or on arrival at BKK, or through a 3rd party. Expect to pay 1,400 - 2,000 baht, exclusive of tolls (~ 200 baht). You should be able to arrange, in Pattaya, a similar service for your return to BKK for 1,200 baht.

Your resort looks very beautiful, sort of the antithesis of all that is Pattaya, and for a longer stay would be ideal. Given your short-stay I still you think you should consider staying in Bangkok, seeing a Cabaret show there, avoiding 5+ hours in a car, and having, believe it or not, a more relaxing layover.
Old May 23, 2006, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've never paid more than 1000 baht for the BKK-Pattaya taxi ride. Often 800 baht. However, I go upstairs to the arrival section to do it.
Old May 23, 2006, 1:47 am
Suspended

Just take a taxi for god sakes.. Its less than 1000 baht ($26usd) it will give you an extra couple fo hrs in Pattaya on your very short visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.