Wiki Posts
Search

Good Tailor in BKK.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Good Tailor in BKK.

We'll only be there fore 3 days so I need quick turn around. Shirts are the items I usually like to have made, I had some "copied" in HK last year and I LOVE them, but we're not stopping over in HK this year, anybody have any advice.

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2006, 7:09 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
In what area is your hotel located?

There certainly are plenty of tailors (I've used one off and on since 1979 - his sons now run it) but it is hardly worthwhile traveling across the town to get to one.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 20, 2006, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
We are staying at The Peninsula.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Tailors

Tailoring varies in price quite a bit in BKK. I'm sure there is a tailor in or near your hotel, but I'm sure it would cost 2-3x what it would somewhere else.

I did a lot of research into tailors, primarily for shirts in the Sukhumvit area. It is best to have a shirt for them to get measurements/styles off of. I got a moderate quantity of shirts (20), a mix of cotton, silk/mix and polyester or some other man made material. In 2004 I paid about $16 per shirt, and I'm a LARGE guy. This year I got a dozen made, and paid about $18 each, just cotton and polyester this time.

My tailor, however, is good quality, but not bespoke level. Most tailor shops just have an outside tailor do their work, so no matter how fancy the shop, it may be going to some sweatshop out in the burbs.

I went into a couple of high end shops, and they started out at $40 per shirt (for 20), but went down to $28 or so, before I decided I wasn't interested in having it done there.

There is a lot of negotiating going on, and as that is what I do for a living, I take it as a personal challenge to find the real "bottom" price. They will also usually throw some ties in as well.

Always, always, always check fit, buttons, etc on all shirts before you leave the shop.
Old May 21, 2006, 2:09 am
Suspended

Try either TajMahal or Rajs on Nana across from the Golden Bar. I get all my stuff there and have been for a number of years.
Old May 21, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
TajMahal Clothiers across from the Nana (Suhkumvit Soi 4) is the one I referenced above.

Totally satisfied with their shirts.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 22, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I did a lot of research into tailors, primarily for shirts in the Sukhumvit area.
In 2004 I paid about $16 per shirt, and I'm a LARGE guy. This year I got a dozen made, and paid about $18 each, just cotton and polyester this time.
Which shop was this? Thanks.

Also, anybody know if tailors will do suit alterations? I've read through previous threads: most of them talk about making a new suit. I've lost some weight and need only alterations. Is it worthwhile bringing a couple of my nice suits to BKK to have them refitted? Can it even be done? Any recommendations?
Old May 22, 2006, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tide
Which shop was this? Thanks.
Dao Fashions. 02-2533719 or 01-298-2510. If you know where Gullivers is (Soi 5 or 7, I think). Across the street there is another soi running towards Soi 3, go 30 meters in (past the hotel on the right), and you'll find it in the small shops on the side. You must dicker though! He used to be on Soi Nana, but his rent was doubled and decided to change locations.
Old May 23, 2006, 1:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
TajMahal Clothiers across from the Nana (Suhkumvit Soi 4) is the one I referenced above.

Totally satisfied with their shirts.

Happy wandering

Fred

That's 2 recommends.. ^

I am actually wearing a pair of their pants right now..
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mtacchi
That's 2 recommends.. ^

I am actually wearing a pair of their pants right now..
i happened to stumble on this topic during my forum search and since i just picked up my suit for my big party this weekend, i thought i'd just give another variety of tailor to try out.
Crown Tailor
Inside sukhumvit soi 8
www.crowntailor.com (i hope the website still works, it was spoilt for a while)

my own thinking was that i wanted a cheap suit with good worksmanship, but i guess the prices are reasonable here and i just liked that he had a LARGE variety of material to choose from and his services were nice (those little things like dropping it off at my place and stuff) anyways..just a recommendation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.