Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice for learning Thai language (as a visitor)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for learning Thai language (as a visitor)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2006, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Advice for learning Thai language (as a visitor)

I was wondering if anybody could suggest any books/CDs that are effective for learning some Thai.

I have 6 months before my trip and will be willing to spend 2-3 hours a week on this. However, I don’t expect to continue learning to fluency. I’m just looking to gain a basic vocabulary and communicate with a degree of courtesy.

I’ve no experience with any tonal language, so even this modest accomplishment seems incredibly daunting.

Kop khun kha

(Mrs) LapLap
Old May 8, 2006, 5:22 am

Programs: PC
I had a Pimsleur Thai audio course once that was pretty decent...and don't fret too much about the tones, unless you really want to have a high-level conversation, getting around is pretty simple by just using words in the correct context. In terms of courtesy, a smile and a 'wai' along with the thanks will get you a long way...it magically lights up the attitude of anyone you're dealing with.
Old May 8, 2006, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I was wondering if anybody could suggest any books/CDs that are effective for learning some Thai.

I have 6 months before my trip and will be willing to spend 2-3 hours a week on this. However, I don’t expect to continue learning to fluency. I’m just looking to gain a basic vocabulary and communicate with a degree of courtesy.

I’ve no experience with any tonal language, so even this modest accomplishment seems incredibly daunting.

Kop khun kha

(Mrs) LapLap
Check out this web site for free Thai lessons . You can also purchase CD's books etc. The free lessons are very good where you click on the words or phrases and a Thai person speaks so you can learn the tones etc.

Randy and Ning
Old May 8, 2006, 9:29 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Another web site. http://www.thai-language.com/
Old May 17, 2006, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just received my 'compact'/'world citizen' 10 lesson Pimsleur course.

(Pimsleur is virtually unknown in the UK and only has one official UK stockist over here).

So far so good it seems.

I'll report later in the year as to what my progress was really like.

Thanks for the website links, a bit hard to make use of them as a complete beginner. I hope I can pick up vocabulary with them later once I have some sort of base.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:25 am
Original Member

Do you know where I print out most frequent used words or phrases ? Thanks. I am not ambitious. Just want to know and show some one in case I need help ? Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:39 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Like allthai, I recommend www.learningthai.com
So many levels from complete beginner to advanced.

My best advice to someone wanting to learn to speak Thai is to learn their Alphabet and vowel combinations. Just the basics of reading is enough... it will help with your pronounciation.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Like allthai, I recommend www.learningthai.com
So many levels from complete beginner to advanced.

My best advice to someone wanting to learn to speak Thai is to learn their Alphabet and vowel combinations. Just the basics of reading is enough... it will help with your pronounciation.
I second all of this completely. I learned a LOT off of LearningThai.com--I started with the "Manee and friends" and went from there. For me, learning the alphabet and tone rules made a huge difference in pronunciation and understanding the language. It did not take very long to get about 80% of it down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.