Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gemstone purchase recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

gemstone purchase recommendations

I'll be in BKK, Chiang Mai, Saigon, Hanoi, Hue and Hoi An. Can anyone recommend a place to buy a gemstone or two. Someone has made a special request for me to pick up a ruby or sapphire. FT'ers always have the best recommendations.

GRF in DC
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA, DL
While I dont have any places I can offer you, make sure you carefully study these gems, some of them might be a fake, especially in Asian countries. Try to go to a place with a reputation, and get a receipt or some kind of handwritten note documenting your purchase.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:19 pm

Make sure you read about all the scams in Bangkok.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 3:48 am

Probably the best info on the subject:
http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bang...Sapphire.shtml
Old Feb 4, 2006, 4:55 am

I have purchased some really nice pieces from Gems Gallery in BKK. They also have shops in Phuket and Chaing Mai.
They will NOT negotiate on the price, but you do get authentation paperwork as well as a lifetime guaranty. For example, if a stone falls off of your necklace, you just let them know which one and they will ship you out a replacement.
As a matter of fact, I will be going to BKK to take a bracelet back to have it's clasp fixed in a week. What a good excuse for a mileage run!
You can call them and have their car pick you up at your hotel. I really liked the place. They will even take you on a little tour which shows the men who do the stones, goldwork, etc. Unfortunately no photos allowed.
The place is under tight security.
I have gotten many compliments on all of the pieces which I have purchased there, although never had them appraised in the US. But, I have shopped around and I know that I have gotten some great deals.

If you want the exact address and phone numbers, please let me know.

diana
Old Feb 4, 2006, 7:41 pm

GIA also has a campus in Bangkok, they might be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.