Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hangzhou to Suzhou to Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Hangzhou to Suzhou to Shanghai

What's the best way to get from Hangzhou to Suzhou and from Suzhou to Shanghai - train or car?

Is there much of a difference in time? Comfort? Is there a current train schedule online (if so, where)?

Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your main problem is that those cities are in opposite directions from Shanghai. There is a road from Suzhou that b-lines to the expressway which connects Shanghai to Hangzhou about halfway down, but you're still backtracking a bit. But, as long as you don't think of it that way, it's just like any other car ride. Speaking of which, I would definitely use some sort of road-based transport. The train is marginally more comfortable, but having to go to the train station certainly nullifies that added comfort... and then some.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go to both of those cities? Personally, I think Hangzhou is categorically better, but if you had business in Suzhou and had to go there (or had an onward port of call in the same direction), then I would go there instead of Hangzhou. But, the fact of the matter is that since Suzhou and Hangzhou are so similar and geographically opposed, the opportunity cost of doing both is rather high.

BTW, I'm not sure about Suzhou, but you can fly to Hangzhou from lots of cities (even NRT, IIRC from reading my in-flight mag last week) so there's an opportunity to save time and aggrevation by hitting it before or after Shanghai (even though it's only 1.5 hours away).

[This message has been edited by moondog (edited Mar 10, 2004).]
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Current plan is to fly from Guilin to either (1) Hangzhou, Suzhou, then on to Shanghai or (2) Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou and back to Shanghai. We'd spend a day in each of Hangzhou and Suzhou.

We like visiting gardens, temples, etc.
Also, my wife was there about 20 years ago and wants to go back.

By the way, we plan to stay in the Four Season in Shanghai, Shangri-La in Hangzhou and Sheraton in Suzhou. Any comments?

[This message has been edited by richarddd (edited Mar 10, 2004).]
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richarddd:
Current plan is to fly from Guilin to either (1) Hangzhou, Suzhou, then on to Shanghai or (2) Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou and back to Shanghai. We'd spend a day in each of Hangzhou and Suzhou.

We like visiting gardens, temples, etc.
Also, my wife was there about 20 years ago and wants to go back.

By the way, we plan to stay in the Four Season in Shanghai, Shangri-La in Hangzhou and Sheraton in Suzhou. Any comments?
</font>
Ok, I'd try for option #1 then if you can swing it and hire a car to get to Suzhou (Suzhou to Shanghai should be a lot easier).

Those hotels are all good choices, especially the Shangri-La (not fancy at all, but very relaxing).
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN RR,UA MP,AA
Originally Posted by moondog
Ok, I'd try for option #1 then if you can swing it and hire a car to get to Suzhou (Suzhou to Shanghai should be a lot easier).

Those hotels are all good choices, especially the Shangri-La (not fancy at all, but very relaxing).

Shangri-La is in the best location.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lassen2545
Shangri-La is in the best location.
How does the Hyatt compare?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shangri-La is right next to the west lake in a beautiful location...I can't imagine the Hyatt topping that.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
the hyatt is across the street from the lake also, around the corner/lake from the shangri la. (15-30 minute walk?) i've stayed at both and actually like the hyatt a bit more as i think the location is better (read: closer to stuff) but the shangri-la is in a more secluded, lush setting. the buffet breakfast at the hyatt is terrific, as are the restaurants. you won't be unhappy at either, it just depends what you like. i like to be close to the action, so the hyatt is a better choice for us. ymmv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.