Wiki Posts
Search

Where to book NRT-HKG-PEK-PVG-NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

Where to book NRT-HKG-PEK-PVG-NRT?

The title says it all. I get $1400+ at Travelocity. Is there a cheaper local option (perhaps with an English website)? Any advice appreciated -- Thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jpdx
The title says it all. I get $1400+ at Travelocity. Is there a cheaper local option (perhaps with an English website)? Any advice appreciated -- Thank you!
China-Japan fares are insanely expensive; fortunately, there are at least 2 ways to make that problem disappear:

Sticking with your parameters, I would use nw miles for nrt-hkg<open>pvg-nrt and pay cash for hkg-pek ($300) and pek-sha ($60).

That having been said, if you're coming from the US (or even Europe), I suggest buying a ticket to China via Japan. Doing so should spare you the need of having to redeem an award for the Japan-China segments (or worse yet, actually pay for them). NH and JL each offer one free stopover in Japan on almost all of their fares and charge a nominal amount for a second.

Also, that $300 for hkg-pek turns into around $120 if you do the Shenzhen Shuffle.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you, moondog. Very useful information, as usual. I already booked PDX-NRT for $304+ during Spring Break, so award tix from the US are not an option. I'll probably just end up flying NRT-HKG return ($349+) and then HKG-PEK return. Have you used elong.net before?
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:46 am

Thank you, moondog. Very useful information, as usual. I already booked PDX-NRT for $304+ during Spring Break, so award tix from the US are not an option. I'll probably just end up flying NRT-HKG return ($349+) and then HKG-PEK return. Have you used elong.net before?
I think you might not have caught suggestion #1; I advised you to redeem an intra-Asia award.

What you proposed above seems ok if you don't mind skipping out on SHA, but even then, I think you'd be better off using miles ($400 is my break-point for 25k miles and you only need 20k).

Regarding elong, I'm assuming you referred to it because they will let you lock in pek-pvg in advance. If that's the case, I advise you to hold off because you should be able to beat those guys, even on the day of departure.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I think you might not have caught suggestion #1; I advised you to redeem an intra-Asia award.
Great idea, thanks, moondog. Booked nrt-hkg/pvg-nrt on NW with DL miles (25k ) Was very surprised by availability.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do what you can to get elite treatment on NW before boarding these flights if you plan to carry on bags. NW sells most all its intra-Asia flights out of Japan through consolidators.

I used my once-in-a-lifetime comp to get that and, IMO, it was worth it. I believe DL or CO elite also works.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Club Life, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by moondog

Also, that $300 for hkg-pek turns into around $120 if you do the Shenzhen Shuffle.
Moondog, I have heard of the "shenzhen shuffle" before but am not quite sure what it is. Seeking enlightenment...
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by 2andFro
Moondog, I have heard of the "shenzhen shuffle" before but am not quite sure what it is. Seeking enlightenment...
take bus or boat/bus to szx and fly from there for around $100.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:06 am

Great idea, thanks, moondog. Booked nrt-hkg/pvg-nrt on NW with DL miles (25k ) Was very surprised by availability.
Excellent work!

Now that you've got that out of the way, I suggest that you put a fair amount of effort into acquiring and rebooking with NW miles, assuming you can land business class on nrt-hkg, if not both segments (I don't think I'd bother if only pvg-nrt was available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.