Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

SIN/BKK/HKG/NRT for electronics?

Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GM, AMX PLT, Starwood GLD

I'll be in the cities/airports above next week and the week after.

Any recommendations on electronics for decent prices. My main need is a nice mobile for my wife, unlocked, and preferably with a "docking" charger.

Any recommendations on the phone are welcomed too.

Her favorite phone ever was the Ericsson T-28 (with the voice dial that activated when you opened the flip). She hates the new SE phones.

Only other major feature desired is calendar sync (BT or USB).

My instinct is somewhere in Singapore or Hong Kong is probably the best place, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
For a mobile phone you can rule out NRT because 99% phones in Japan are generally not compatible with the rest of the world. It is, however, a good place for the absolute latest cameras and other electronics. Sony Play Station Portables have been on sale here almost a year before they arrived in Europe. There are often special editions made only for the Japanese market. I also think SIN/HKG will work out better for you.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No deals in SIN that I could determine. Too squeaky clean.

Software of all types, pirated of course, is available in BKK.

Selection is biggest in Akihabara (Tokyo), possibly in the entire world, but prices aren't so hot and warranties outside Japan can be a problem. Never thought much about what is available at Narita airport, if you can't get to Tokyo, maybe you could get to the Llaox store in Narita town.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:24 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
I got the best deal for a Canon Powershot S70 camera in BKK at Pantip Plaza but the best price for the watertight housing in Singapore (35% cheaper than BKK).

HKG is expensive in comparison in my opinion.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Akihabara (NRT) Biggest, but China Cheapest

Originally Posted by worldsense
Any recommendations on electronics for decent prices. My main need is a nice mobile for my wife, unlocked, and preferably with a "docking" charger.
I've been to those places in the past year, but didn't look in BKK.

SIN is like shopping at a mall in the U.S.

HRK has a decent computer & tech mall on the Kowloon side in a three or four-story across from the Star Ferry. Not bad, but not so cheap after being in China.

Akihabara (NRT) is simply the most amazing place in the world to get that new or hard-to-find computer or electronic parts. Want an obscure circuit tester, wire strippers, oddball LED, or PC chip? -- They got it if you look hard for the right seller for the item. If you love computers and technology, this is the place to go. If you are not the kind of person who drools over this stuff, then I'd say "no". Not cheap and no bargains.

Best place to buy (cheaply) technology, especially generic computer-related parts, is China -- probably the computer district in any large city. I went to the computer mall in Chengdu and bought CF memory cards for less than were available at the time in the U.S. Similiar story for computer video cards.
You, of course, absolutely have to know what you're buying. The retail distribution system for this electronic and computer parts into the U.S. is efficient enough that you are unlikely to save more that 10% (plus the U.S. state sales tax, if applicable), even with a good buy at Chinese retail.

Bowgie

Last edited by Bowgie; Nov 28, 2005 at 2:27 am Reason: mistyped "NRT"
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Thai ROP Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
For your specific reference to mobile phones, may I recommend Mamboonkrong (MBK Center) in Bangkok...

They basically have one whole floor dedicated to cell phones - and there are deals to be found, as long as you're prepared to spend some time going shop to shop. If you don't mind a 2nd hand phone, the prices can't be beat. And, even if you're looking for a brand new one, I think the prices here are very competitive compared to anywhere else in Asia.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by chacker
For your specific reference to mobile phones, may I recommend Mamboonkrong (MBK Center) in Bangkok...

They basically have one whole floor dedicated to cell phones - and there are deals to be found, as long as you're prepared to spend some time going shop to shop. If you don't mind a 2nd hand phone, the prices can't be beat. And, even if you're looking for a brand new one, I think the prices here are very competitive compared to anywhere else in Asia.
I forgot to mention a couple of things:

If you want the best price at MBK, have CASH in hand, as they'll charge you more if you're using a credit card, and don't be afraid to bargain a bit - they typically won't come down much on new phones, but they will consider it - especially if you're buying more than 1 item.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help.

I'm grateful that this trip I'll have more than 1 night in each city.

As long as I get some nice gifts for the kids maybe I'll even grab some toys for myself.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
I second the recommendation to go to MBK Center in Bangkok for mobile phones -- amazing !!

Also, I have been very pleasantly suprised at how competitive Bangkok has become in electronics pricing -- at Pantip Plaza in the last year I have purchased a high end laptop (same price as in USA and 20% less than cheapest available in Singapore ), two digital Sony cameras (roughly same as US, and line-ball with Singapore), and a 1Gb Sony memory stick (10% more than USA but 30% less than cheapest in Singapore) ..as a sampling

Hong Kong I used to shop all the time..no more

Tokyo .. forget it unless you want stuff not available outside Japan

Enjoy and take a few massages !!!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by retrav1K
I second the recommendation to go to MBK Center in Bangkok for mobile phones -- amazing !!

Also, I have been very pleasantly suprised at how competitive Bangkok has become in electronics pricing -- at Pantip Plaza in the last year I have purchased a high end laptop (same price as in USA and 20% less than cheapest available in Singapore ), two digital Sony cameras (roughly same as US, and line-ball with Singapore), and a 1Gb Sony memory stick (10% more than USA but 30% less than cheapest in Singapore) ..as a sampling
Totally concur with this. BKK has become competitive for these products for sure, and Pantip is a great place to go and look for just about anything computer-related you need!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most mobile phones are 15 - 35% less expensive on eBay vs. BKK. PC's, and PC components are 20-30% less expensive on-line in the U.S. vs. Panthip.

If you want to check mobile Phone prices in Bangkok, check the prices here, then subtract 15% if buying at a small shop in MBK. I would never , ever use a credit card in MBK (other than at one of the anchor stores) or Panthip, as it is too risky and requires an uplift of ~ 3%.

Personally I would not recommend purchasing a second hand phone a MBK, unless it belonged to you previously . Mobile phone prices in the hundreds of small shops are all within 2% on any given model.

Sony PSP pro stick duos (Sony/Sandisk) are ~4,000 THB for 1 GB and ~ 8,000 THB for 2 GB, stand-alone. Prices are slightly less in a package including a PSP. MBK is the best place to buy PSP's. I can recommend a specific shop via PM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:10 am

Bangkok would be a great place to go phone-hunting. As mentioned earlier, Japan is out of the question, and I'm not so sure if Singapore sells open-line phones.

And I loved the T28. It served me well for two years before it became too slow. I'm still using Sony Ericsson (Z600 at the moment), though it doesn't have the battery life my T28 had...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. It seems like a mixed bag of opinions about buying a mobile over here.

I've bought of ebay before, and while there are some deals to be had the unlocked phones always seem to be a bit pricey.

Guess I'll go take a look and see what they've got!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
For mobile phones definitely Singapore. Bangkok is great for mobiles, but Singapore is cheaper for the new flash models. I am living in Bangkok part time. For electronics, mostly don't bother, since the power here is different than in the west-- unless it is some portable pda or something, then it is compatable worldwide probably.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.