Wiki Posts
Search

Avian flu pandemic

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Avian flu pandemic

Despite all the recent attention devoted to avian flu in Southeast Asia, I've read nothing that persuades me a vacation trip to Vietnam, Laos and Thailand should be postponed. The main recommended precaution seems to be avoiding poultry markets.

Other opinions?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Just wash your hands alot And buy travel insurance which is a good idea anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:16 pm

There's no pandemic. This is the latest wacko-enviro scare, that it will jump or morph to human form, much like the mad-cow disease scare. I've even seen tripe written about it in journals such as Foreign Affairs.

Uh, but be glad we are not chickens

M8
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is more hype than anything for now. Remember SARS in Asia? Even that was more hype than anything at the time.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:53 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 2:05 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Scandalous
Yea, but I got a round trip ticket to SAN-BKK for $399 total during the SAR's hysteria. A little baseless hysteria does have an upside.
There ya go - a thinking man! ^ ^
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:15 pm

Tripe

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
There's no pandemic. This is the latest wacko-enviro scare, that it will jump or morph to human form, much like the mad-cow disease scare. I've even seen tripe written about it in journals such as Foreign Affairs.

Uh, but be glad we are not chickens

M8
Tripe? I think you've gotten your animals mixed up. BTW, the articles in Foreign Affairs were spot on (at least in my view). I'm not sure what your "enviro" reference was about.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Potential

Avian flu has the POTENTIAL to be a serious problem, but it's not there yet. I agree with the earlier recommendation of insurance. Also, if you want be even more "safe", see your doctor for a prescription for an anti-viral before the trip and carry it with you.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by chefdg1
Tripe? I think you've gotten your animals mixed up. BTW, the articles in Foreign Affairs were spot on (at least in my view). I'm not sure what your "enviro" reference was about.
Well then we disagree, don't we?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:11 pm

...BTW, the articles in Foreign Affairs were spot on (at least in my view)...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:48 pm

Civilized Dis-agreement Is Healthy!

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I do enjoy your posts and have taken the link to your blog. I'm on my way to VN, Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia next week. Are we crossing paths? BTW, I have a box of Tamiflu in my carry-on.

salute - chefdg1
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:42 pm

I do enjoy your posts and have taken the link to your blog. I'm on my way to VN, Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia next week. Are we crossing paths? BTW, I have a box of Tamiflu in my carry-on.

salute - chefdg1
My favorite part of the world ^ . No I am not headed there. My last gig in SE Asia was in Dec. This year I have done mostly West Africa, and it looks like next year will be mostly West Africa again, with only one gig in SE Asia, and one in Latin America. Plenty of domestic US too.

On the medical topic, I do carry a travel medical kit when I am in high risk countries. I've had to use the cipro on several occasions. Once in Indonesia and twice in Angola. I also carry a blood pathogen kit, sutures, etc., and Malarone is a daily requirement when I am in Africa. Fun work, sometimes I'm out in the boonies, and sometimes in very classy hotels.

BTW, you are the first I have met here who reads Foreign Affairs ^ The last issue on China was excellent.

M8
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:16 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, more updates on the bird flu here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201283
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I hope I dont regret saying this in a couple of months, but I was traveling extensively thru Asia for work during the SARS scares and the US office of my company kept trying to call me home while all of my "local" co-workers told me not to worry. I wound up staying and while it was freaky to go thru thermo scanners in every airport, I lived to tell about it and in retrospect thing my company was just trying to cover their _ss.
We have our honeymoon planned in SE Asia in a month and after talking to some of my co-workers in SE Asia they have informed me that they arent planning on leaving anytime soon to avoid the "risk." We're planning on going if that's anything to rely on
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:45 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 2:03 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.