Wiki Posts
Search

Wakatobi anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Question Wakatobi anyone?

This is a long shot... but here goes. Has anyone been to the Wakatobi dive resort in Sulawesi? I'm about to part with a fair part of my life's savings for the pleasures of spending 11 days there in December and thought maybe somebody here could give me a second opinion.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K, HH-diamond
Did you go?

I was just thinking of posting the same question. Did you end up visiting Wakatobi? Anybody else out there?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Yep, we went. Here's the short report:

The diving/snorkelling is of the highest order: spacious boats, knowledgable guides, fabulously pristine reefs, plenty of fascinating fish and critters. Simply superb. Above water quite a few things - like the gloomy rooms and lack of attention to detail - were mildly disappointing/annoying given the price and the claim to the "luxury" label.

If you want more, just shout.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:54 pm

Wakatobi in June

I am headed to Wakatobi in 2 weeks with a group of scuba divers. We decided to stay in the beach bungalows (gulp!). Any advice you can give me about the resort? How was the food, service, etc.? As with most south Pacific accomodations I am only expecting about 3.5 star, at best. Our VERY favorite place for diving is in Fiji, Taveuni, Garden Island Resort. Once you've been there nothing else compares. Best diving, nicest people you'll ever meet.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Given your modest expectations, and the fact that you are going in a group, you should have a great time. There is nothing seriously wrong with Wakatobi, it just isn't nearly as luxurious or as friendly as their marketing makes it out to be. (I prefer my resorts to be run by people trained in the hospitality industry, not by overworked dive instructors. It's not that they don't try - they just don't get it.)

I've not been to Fiji (definitely on the list, though!) but you will not experience any real contact with the locals in Wakatobi. Again they aren't unfriendly, just keep very separate and aloof, partly because they don't speak English and partly because of the cultural divide. Wakatobi is improving its facilities all the time; their latest newsletter indicates the new restaurant is finished - which will be a big improvement!

The underwater experience is of the very highest order. And the dive staff are fantastic (when they aren't being asked to be hoteliers).
Old May 26, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Any FTers have updates on Wakatobi since 2006? Hard to tell if their current (2016) marketing is still overly-ambitious, for the above-water portions at least, or if they've really upped their game. Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Any FTers have updates on Wakatobi since 2006? Hard to tell if their current (2016) marketing is still overly-ambitious, for the above-water portions at least, or if they've really upped their game. Thanks!

I was there a couple of years ago. I went cause everyone raves about the diving. I found the diving the least impressive thing about the resort. It is not an uber luxury resort. It is very nice. I was in a beach villa. It was large, but it really didn't have room to sort out two divers' camera gear. The food was excellent. You can order off the room service menu in the dining room for no additional cost. I found the non diving staff excellent. I had the best dive guide I've ever had there.

That said, if you're not a diver, there is no reason to go there if you're looking for a luxury resort. If you are a diver, there are much cheaper, better places to dive in the Indo-Pacific. (If you are looking for luxury and good diving, try a resort in the Maldives. I love the Conrad Rangali.)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Useful details manneca, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.