Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives & Alcohol !!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jaak

Next to that, it would be very disrespectful to the warm hospitality of the Maldives to try to smuggle alcohol into the country. I think, if you are not addicted, you can easily live without alcohol for few weeks?
Addiction? Seriously? I'm not addicted to showers but I sure do like one every morning (and sometimes in the evening).
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Addiction? Seriously? I'm not addicted to showers but I sure do like one every morning (and sometimes in the evening).
Or you can turn it around and say you are addicted to showers, which might take away a bit of the negativity of addiction to alcohol for instance.

In SIN now, MLE tomorrow, and I have emptied 2 rooms minibars for miniatures as IC RA
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I agree with you. Somehow you enjoy the view better when it's accompanied by a nice chilled one.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:54 pm
Company Representative - Conrad Maldives

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Bumping this thread to ask a related question. If you arrive in the country early enough in the day, is it possible to go into Male to purchase a bottle(s) of alcohol? I assume that if they ban visitors bringing it into the country, they don't make it available for sale except via drinks at resorts. But thought I'd ask nonetheless.
You're right: no alcohol is sold anywhere in the country, except at resorts and in Duty Free on your way out.

WRT the poster in 2005's comment - customs are familiar with the 'vodka in a water bottle' ruse.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:17 am

Programs: QFF
One of my favourite memories of MLE airport was on my return from CMB with a bottle of Benedictine in my hot little hand.

The customs guys were as happy as anything at the thought of getting some more grog off an unsuspecting tourist.

It was then I produced my resident's alcohol permit & said in my most polite Dhivehi - "no problems, I have a permit". The look of disappointment on their faces was priceless

This was 1991, so I guess things have changed. ConradMaldives, do the alcohol permits still exist for non muslim residents?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelkid
Or you can turn it around and say you are addicted to showers, which might take away a bit of the negativity of addiction to alcohol for instance.

In SIN now, MLE tomorrow, and I have emptied 2 rooms minibars for miniatures as IC RA
Brought some 16 minatures, was x-rayed, but no problem. Looks like cosmetics in that size.

If you are desperate, you might bring something on body, under shirt etc. They only scan bags, purses etc.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:48 pm
Company Representative - Conrad Maldives

Brought some 16 minatures, was x-rayed, but no problem. Looks like cosmetics in that size.
Seriously?! You paid hotel mini-bar prices for miniatures in order to sneak them illegally into the Maldives? Having a hard time trying to figure out the benefits of that strategy.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: BA BD SA
If you are desperate, you might bring something on body, under shirt etc. They only scan bags, purses etc.
A colostomy bag?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConradMaldives
Seriously?! You paid hotel mini-bar prices for miniatures in order to sneak them illegally into the Maldives? Having a hard time trying to figure out the benefits of that strategy.
He is a RA so he mentioned earlier that he will be taking them from the mini bar for this trip. RA'S get free mini bar.

Oh how I wish IC opens a property in MLE
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lallyr
He is a RA so he mentioned earlier that he will be taking them from the mini bar for this trip. RA'S get free mini bar.

Oh how I wish IC opens a property in MLE

(This is probably my lamest post ever, but I just needed to confirm^)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK
here's what I do

I regularly fly into countries with alcohol restrictions, ie Libya, Iran where they scan your baggage before entering, and not once have they actually searched my person, just the bag. What I do is put the bottle in my waist, and with my jacket on, just walk through. Alternatively, you could just stock up on mini's and put them in your pockets.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by i7654
I regularly fly into countries with alcohol restrictions, ie Libya, Iran where they scan your baggage before entering, and not once have they actually searched my person, just the bag. What I do is put the bottle in my waist, and with my jacket on, just walk through. Alternatively, you could just stock up on mini's and put them in your pockets.
In warm countries where most arrive wearing a shirt, a jacket might look suspicious. They might ask you to send it through the scanner, like on airport security.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

(This is probably my lamest post ever, but I just needed to confirm^)
Imagine they open up a IC in MLE. The free mini bar will great. I was there last year and had to do with paying $15 for a drink!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lallyr
Imagine they open up a IC in MLE. The free mini bar will great. I was there last year and had to do with paying $15 for a drink!
And if you then leave IC to check in at HI resort, you cant probably legally bring the mini bar drinks.

Most likely they will exclude alcoholic drinks from the perk, as they did at IC Stockholm.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And if you then leave IC to check in at HI resort, you cant probably legally bring the mini bar drinks.

Most likely they will exclude alcoholic drinks from the perk, as they did at IC Stockholm.
Why did they exclude them there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.