Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tailer in Shanghai

Tailer in Shanghai

Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Tailer in Shanghai

Does anyone have experience with a having a men's suit made in Shanghai? Any recommondations are appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tailors in China aren't that good compared to those in Hong Kong or Bangkok. I think that most 4 or 5 star hotels have tailors in the lobby but they are expensive and if you're gonna pay alot its better to go to Hong Kong and get them made. On the street, if you look hard enough, you can find a local tailor who can make a suit for around 300-400 RMB. It will be tailor made but will be made of dubious fabric with poor stitching. For the fun of having a cheap tailor made suit it definitely worth it!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:32 am
dawei

I actually have generally been very happy with the clothes I’ve had tailored in Shanghai including suits, sport jackets, dress pants, dress shirts, and a tuxedo. Is it brooks brothers? No. But it is a fraction of the price (Dress pants ~$10US, Suit $40 US, Tuxedo $80 US)

My wife and I have been happy with Danielle a tailor on Qiu Min Lu on Fahuazhen Rd just a block up from Huaihai Rd. Phone 6282 0925 or mobile at 139 0162 7256. Sometimes it’s a bit off, but hey…She keeps all her fabric on hand and you can choose your own.

Another alternative is the Dong Jia Du Lu Fabric Market (董家渡路市)Add: 142 Dongjiadu Lu (董家渡路142). It’s a huge market (probably more then 100 vendors) of fabric who have their own tailors. I usually just chose my fabric and brought it to Danielle but you could also use their tailors too – which a lot of the expat tai tais seem to do. I checked out some of the hotel tailors but for price reasons I did not pursue them so I can not comment.

I have no basis to compare Shanghai tailors to HK (Or tokyo, london, new york...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.