Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

October - out to Beijing, back from Ho Chi Minh

Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:35 am
Original Poster

We're based in the UK and wonder if anyone knows of any websites that give me lots of choices as to airlines/routings etc. as opposed to the mainstream websites that give a limited number of options.

Sadly, cost is a major consideration!! But I'm sure that there must be oddball routings (UK to USA to China?) that give benefits I had not thought of. And yes, I am aware that we cannot fly direct from SGN to the USA....

Much Good Karma and a gold star to anyone who points out a business class fare at economy prices!!

Many thanks

(If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move)
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SteveTustin
But I'm sure that there must be oddball routings (UK to USA to China?)
i'd be shocked if any ex-us routings would be competitive with your ex-uk routings, after taking into account the cost of a uk-us ticket. the best thing to would be to focus on airlines that fly between europe and both pek and sgn. i'm not so knowedgable about sgn, but can tell you that ba, lh, af, sr, os, and kl all fly to pek (i'm sure there are more that i'm forgetting). then, you'll need to fill in pek-sgn on your own. i'd like to think you could buy a direct flight for around $250. if not, you can cut down costs with discount carriers and/or avoiding hk. it's also possible to go over land from yunnan, but this certainly wouldn't be your cheapest option and requires extra visas.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:53 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveTustin
And yes, I am aware that we cannot fly direct from SGN to the USA....
You can't fly non-stop (that I know of), but you can fly UA SGN-HKG-ORD/SFO.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
And yes, I am aware that we cannot fly direct from SGN to the USA....
You can't fly non-stop (that I know of), but you can fly UA SGN-HKG-ORD/SFO.
The times they are a changing.

from http://www.vietnamair.com.vn/

"As of May 2001, Vietnam Airlines is pleased to announce the launch of its first route, in cooperation with China Airlines, to the United States. Now you can fly with us between Hochiminh City, Los Angeles an San Francisco."

Vietnam Airlines has eight 777-200ERs and plans to use them. They list HAN-SFO, HAN-LAX, SGN-SFO AND SGN-LAX in their route listing, according to their July/August inflight magazine. The US routes are dotted lines, and it is not clear if this is a code share or a future route. They look to be with a stop in Taipei.

At one time they were working with AA on a code share deal. I think they plan to do it themselves someday. The have a ticket office in SFO. The 777ER just has the range to do it nonstop, but it is right at the limit they list of 12,400 km.

They also have flights from both SGN and HAN to Paris, and maybe FRA

I am not sure how good their prices are, but they are sure an easy way to get to or from Vietnam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.