Wiki Posts
Search

CMB, Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by sftrvlr
Where is this coming from? I saw a similar post on the (very) long thread in the Mileage Run forum. I've been in the business for 21 years, and can tell you from experience that there is no such law in effect at this time.
sftrvlr:

No doubt I mutilated the the IATA rule change info in my above post. Your explanation is far more accurate than my misrepresentation. I will edit my post.

RE: The Sri Lankan Law stuff... prior to purchasing my ticket from my agent I received a reply to a PM stating that there was a law in place in Sri Lanka that required ex-CMB tickets to be issued in Sri Lanka or via PTA. This regulation was distinct from the IATA change regarding HIP calculations. The FTer that PM'd me always issues in Sri Lanaka and was unclear if the law was still in effect. Since buying my ticket I have seen a photo of a sign that also references this 1990's ordinance. The PM also said this was enforced like the 55 mph speed limit. (a.k.a. not enforced). I have no clue as to wether the law still exists or not.

A week ago, going into the city to deal with a re-issue from a local agent if necessary was no big deal. Today it is a little disconcerting.

Regards,

Schoflyer

Last edited by schoflyer; Aug 17, 2005 at 1:33 am
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:35 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by schoflyer
Since buying my ticket I have seen a photo of a sign that also references this 1990's ordinance.
And it was subsequently determined that the sign was dated 1998. Do we have any evidence post January 15 2005 of CMB refusing to accept tickets issued outside of Sri Lanka? Several posted in the thread that referenced the picture of the sign of continuing success with tickets issued outside of CMB. I asked an agent in CMB today if there has been a reversion to requiring CMB issued tickets; she looked at me in complete bewilderment.

I hope I don't sound confrontational, as that is not my intent. We have enough people flying from CMB that someone ought to be able to report on actual experience. Otherwise, I wonder if the picture of the old SQ has morphed into urban legend as to current ticket issues.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:16 am

It sounds like the 'illegal ticket' issue may not really be an issue, based on the posts above.

Back to the security issue, SanDiego1K, have you gotten a view from anyone in CMB on the current situation since you arrived there?

We leave for Amangalla/Amanwella on Sunday. From what I've read, even during the worst of times in Sri Lanka the South was stable. I asked Aman reservations about the feel there and was simply told 'everything is fine.'

I'm still a bit apprehensive though. In addition to any personal security issues, I have mixed feelings about going on a vacation to a place that going through such difficult times.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
FWIW I pulled the plug today. Doing my usual turn in BKK this Sept instead. Pushed off my SIN-CMB-SIN award ticket to a temporary date in March. Will Push my IC reservation to December sometime.

I'd rather the dust settled a bit especially when I have nothing to gain per se.
December will be another story as the "return" would be during the 2006 qualification period.

Good luck to all.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:38 am

Sri Lanka is safe and needs tourists

Originally Posted by senor hamachi
Back to the security issue, SanDiego1K, have you gotten a view from anyone in CMB on the current situation since you arrived there?
I'm happy to say that life is very serene here. I've stopped asking people as to whether they perceive a risk post-assasination. Our in-country travel agent, our driver, and staff at the Colombo Hilton looked at me in bewilderment when I posed the question. The agent (one of Sri Lanka's biggest) has had no cancelations. All refer to the tsunami's impact on tourism, and are truly perplexed that the assasination might have one as well. I think that Sri Lanka's government didn't consider the perception by tourists of declaring a "state of emergency". It obviously means something far more ominous to you and me than it does here.

Originally Posted by senior hamachi
I have mixed feelings about going on a vacation to a place that going through such difficult times.
And that is why we need to come. Sri Lankans need our money. The tsunami has devastated tourism, as people are afraid to come. Our driver this week is only going out twice a month, rather than four times a month. Imagine the impact on the family finances!

At the Amangalla, I spoke to the manager. He said that just two weeks after the tsunami, his spice seller was eager to begin selling spices to him. His shop was destroyed, but he needed to do business. The best thing we can do to help Sri Lankan people is to come with our tourist dollars. Otherwise, they suffer doubly - first from the tsunami devastation, and now from lack of tourists.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:11 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
SanDiego1K, great to read that everything is in order. Thanks for the update.

Senor hamachi, please report back on your stay at the Amans as I will visit them in early Sep.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:11 pm
pod

Programs: UA 1K (MM)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do we have any evidence post January 15 2005 of CMB refusing to accept tickets issued outside of Sri Lanka?
I don't know if I just got lucky, but I just did the turn in CMB, ticket was SOTO, bought and ticketed in USA, but at CMB SITI fares. Maybe I just lucked out, but there was no issue when I gave over my ticket at the transit desk.

As to the safety issue, there was no sign of anything awry at the airport (this was on 8/17-8/18).
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:05 pm

And Sri Lankan Airlines took my ticket that was issued in the States.

I finally learned why Sri Lanka imposed a "state of emergency". It gives the government power to search people's homes. You'll remember there were shooters in neighbors' homes who killed the foreign minister. They wanted to be able to search neighborhood homes with proper authority.

A Sri Lankan FA explained this to me. He, himself, was in London when the assassination occurred and called his family very concerned. They gave him this explanation (and in fact, I got the same explanation a couple other times).

We had a wonderful visit in a very tranquil country filled with lovely, cordial people. I recommend Sri Lanka (and particularly Perahera in Kandy, which occurs every July or August - amazing, 100 elephants, all dressed in elaborate cloths with ear and trunk coverings, in a procession honoring Buddha's tooth which is in the Kandy temple.)
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:08 pm

I'm currently in Galle, in the south of Sri Lanka, and everything is fine. I would encourage anyone having doubts about visiting Sri Lanka to go ahead and come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.