Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels near BKK airport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

Hotels near BKK airport?

Looking for a hotel near BKK. Will arrive 11.30pm and depart 7am. Nothing fancy needed, but I would like to avoid travelling downtown (and rather maximize time in bed.)

Any advice appreciated - Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: SQ, TG, UA, NH (& CX...please don't tell the SQ4ever mrs. m)
BKK Hotel

Originally Posted by jpdx
Looking for a hotel near BKK. Will arrive 11.30pm and depart 7am. Nothing fancy needed, but I would like to avoid travelling downtown (and rather maximize time in bed.)

Any advice appreciated - Thanks!
The Amari is connected to BKK. It is a bit more expensive (at least US$125), but very convenient. If you are up for it, the hotel does provide a very special feature: in-room massage treatments until 2 am. It is possible to go to the After Flight Centre on the fifth (Executive) floor and choose the masseuse you would like to have go to your room with you I have done this routine a few times, and while I've never once received an actual, "massage," it has always been a wonderful experience

Safe travel,

macintosh
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This topic comes up almost as frequently as the "BKK Taxi" topic.

A search of the TG, Asia and BKK forums will reveal a lot of valuable, first-hand information.

In addtion to the Amari there are day-room available airside.

And this map shows some of the options.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. Very interesting. As I will be travelling with my SO, who may or may not be supportive of me taking advantage of "massages" and the like, I should probably amend the misleading language in my original question from "spending time in bed" to "sleeping." We're really just looking for a place that's close to the airport, and the airport's website doesn't list anything closer than 7 miles.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
http://www.miraclegrandhotel.com/dayroom.html

Takes you to the Louis' Tavern Dayrooms (Transit Hotel) site. You can reserve online. Rooms are in the international area. You do not clear immigration to get there.

Prices may look high per hour, but if you leave the hotel to go elsewhere, there will be a line for immigration both ways(Thailand used to be very fast, but a recent post here said they just started photographing every entry, and the lines are very long and slow now ), plus taxi, plus the 500 Bhat($13) per person cash departure tax when you return to the airport.

I have stayed there, and strongly recommend reservations, as several internationals arrive about midnight, and the place fills up. NW alone dumps a jumbo load from NRTat 11:50.

The rooms are small, and yes the decor is "worn". I have seen reviews that this place is a dump, I suspect that these are written by Business Class-Won't stay in Less than a 5 Star Hilton flyers(no disrespect intended to the large FT community that fits that category ) who would consider a Holiday Inn in the US to be "slumming" for their sensitive executive sized egos. The place is Days Inn/Econolodge level, and I have been in dumpier Days Inns in the US(MCO airport comes to mind--Never Again).

After a 19 hour flight, a hot shower and a bed for a nap is sooooo welcome. ^
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Flaflyer. We'll probably just stay there. Good advice on making a reservation, btw.; we will be among those "dumped" on BKK by NW.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Otoh

Couple things I forgot.

Have an alarm clock with you, you don't want to miss that flight. OTOH, you will be up to 12 time zones out of sink, so you may be taking an "afternoon nap".

The other problem is if you have checked bags. There is a reason it is called BAGGAGE. If conecting to an international flight and you have it all on one ticket, hopefully you can check it through to your final destination.

If the destination is local, the bag will need to be picked up to clear customs. which is after passport stamping. Once you do, you are out in the terminal, and you cannot reenter without a boarding pass, which you probably cannot get till the checkin counter opens in the morning.

If you have bags, hopefully they will still be there in the unclaimed pile in the morning. Are there people stupid enough to steal a strangers bag and then go thru customs?

How do I spell "vacation"? "Carry on only"
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Miracle Grand Convention Hotel

I stayed there earlier this year for about $50. Booked on planetholiday.com I believe.

If they know you are coming they will pick you up in their van and will take you back the next day. About a ten minute trip each way.

Pleasant room, nice breakfast buffet which is complimentary, or they will pack you a breakfast box if you have to leave too early to eat the buffet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.