Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Shanghai - Hong Kong Train

Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

I'm contemplating going to HK in October via Shanghai. The thought I've just had was connecting by train rather than plane.

I know it's a 25 hour trip but I like trains and I'll see some of the countryside.

Does anyone know what are the practicalities, like ticketing, food, luggage handling etc?

Overall is this a good notion?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
I'm contemplating going to HK in October via Shanghai. The thought I've just had was connecting by train rather than plane.

I know it's a 25 hour trip but I like trains and I'll see some of the countryside.

Does anyone know what are the practicalities, like ticketing, food, luggage handling etc?

Overall is this a good notion?
I wouldn't do it. I like trains too, but not for 25 hours.

To answer your other questions, you can buy tickets at the train station or through your hotel concierge (the latter will charge up to y50 per ticket). Expect mid-range chinese food (quality and selection varies considerably by train). I always carry my own luggage because the idea of hanging around the arrival station to pick it up is unappealing.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I wouldn't do it. I like trains too, but not for 25 hours.
I did the Trans-Siberian when I was a student.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
My parents did this roundtrip last year and liked it. Occupany rate is often relatively low, so even though they only bought regular soft-sleeper (4 in room) for the Shanghai->HK leg, there were no other people sharing that room. That saved them the cost for upgrading to deluxe softsleeper (2 in room) - which you can do even after the train has departed.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.china-train-ticket.com/index.html#hong
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
I did it in reverse, from Hong Kong to Shanghai in June. I will admit, it was a long trip. The scenery was really interesting, however. It was my first glimpse of China and I was surprised at how non-dingy it was along the railway. Since it's viewed as an international train, you leave China and go through customs in SHanghai and then go through HK customs, etc when you get to Hong Kong - you don't get off the train at any points in between.

The food that came around didn't look all that appealing. I had brought a full complement of snacks onboard - those ramen cup noodles, for example, since they have hot water on all of the trains. They came around with fresh fruit a few times, beer, water, drinks, etc. and all were very reasonably priced.

I took the hard sleeper class - as a solo female traveller, I wasn't comfortable with the soft sleeper option since those doors can be locked from the inside.

Carry your bags on - I'm assuming that you won't have too much? I had a large backpack and a smaller daypack, plus my ever-important food package. I saw other Westerners getting on with rolling suitcases. You can store them under the lower beds, on an empty one or above the door where there's a little shelf.

As for the trains themselves, they were extremely clean and well maintained. The best train I had ever taken in China. Bring eyeshades and earplugs if you desire to sleep at anytime other than 10-7ish. They open all the curtains around 5 or 5:30, and the horrid canned music comes on sometime after 7. Bedding and pillows are provided, and (after a careful inspection) were clean - comfy white blankets.

The hard sleeper sections have six beds per berth and you pay according to which one you want. The highest one is cheapest, the lowest the most expensive. The problem with a lower berth is that people use it as a couch during the day. I opted for the middle.

The soft sleeper cabins have four beds per berth, lockable doors. It's also more expensive. I travelled soft sleeper on different trains, and based on anecdotal evidence, I decided that the increase in price wasn't worth it.

I think you can also get a deluxe soft sleeper with only two beds per berth. The price increases quite a bit with each of these options.

Hard sleeper = squat toilet, soft sleeper classes = western or squat. The bathrooms were surprisingly clean.

You can get tickets at China Travel Service...

If you have any questions, PM me. I had to do a ridiculous amount of research on the train question to appease my parents, including pros and cons of each class to justify my decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.