Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is Beijing worth it despite the renovations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Beijing worth it despite the renovations?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Question Is Beijing worth it despite the renovations?

My partner and I have planned a four and 1/2 day visit to Beijing in early September. Reading other travel sites has led me to believe that most of the Forbidden City is covered in green sheeting material for restoration work, Also covered is the Temple of Heaven. And the Summer Palace is having renovations. Is it still worth going, or would rescheduling for another time (even possibly another year or so) be suggested? Has anyone been to Beijing recently? And what would you recommend? I realize that the Great Wall is still available, but it seems like a great deal of what I wanted to see is rather not worth it. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
I'm sure that other folks (like Moondog) would have more recent information, but I was there in April and while the renovations were present, it wasn't like it obstructed the key features of the sites

- Forbidden City - many of the buildings on the SIDES of the central courtyards were scaffolded and under repair... but the central palaces were all accessible and picture friendly. They also wouldn't let you wander away from basically a South to North walk through the complex (no side trips).
- Summer Palace - the large buddhist temple on the top of the hill was under repair, but the park itself was still very walkable and picture friendly. A few spots on the waterfront where repairs were being done.
- Temple of Heaven - again, some parts of the complex were being maintained (i remember the temple directly to the north of the main pagoda being semi-accessible due to some construction) but the main temple structures were all accessible.

In most cases, (other than trying to shoot 360 panoramas in one of the central courtyards at the Forbidden City), I don't remember being incovenienced by renovations. But then again, that was 3 months ago and in China, it seems like they completely overhaul their cities every year.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:32 am

i too have been there during the renovations (but not in the past few months). i would say definitely go. beijing is unbelievable and not to be missed under any circumstances. however its character is changing and i'd say visit sooner than later.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jtkauai
i would say definitely go. beijing is unbelievable and not to be missed under any circumstances. however its character is changing and i'd say visit sooner than later.
my sentiments, exactly.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jtkauai
i would say definitely go. beijing is unbelievable and not to be missed under any circumstances. however its character is changing and i'd say visit sooner than later.
I'd totally second that...Beijing is changing very rapidly, and won't be the same city even 6 moths from now. BTW, at the Forbidden City, try to spend some time in the NW part. It is a little hard to find at first, but there are many fewer foreign tourists there. Also, if you have some extra time on your visit to the Summer Palace, you might want to stop by the campus of Peking University nearby.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was there recently and walked much of the Summer Palace. It is well worth a visit.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:48 pm

i love the summer palace. in addition, the street that leads into it is a great place to walk through the various stores (especially the martial arts ones), and is also fabulous for the most delicious, low cost street lunches. yum.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Just returned last week from Beijing - all locations mentioned are under some renovation, but nothing to detract from what each place represents. Have to say, my trip to China was absolutely awesome - Beijing was fantastic in terms of interesting places to visit, the history - and also the changes which are rapidly taking place. With so much reconstruction taking place, I wonder how much flavor will remain in the not too distant future..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.