Search

Cheap options PEK <-> SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold
Cheap options PEK <-> SFO

Hi,

My sister recently had a baby and I've got to make a trip back from Beijing to San Francisco for the family get-together. Any suggestions on an affordable way to do this?

Leave August 22, 23, 24
PEK->SFO

Return September 8, 9, 10
SFO -> PEK

thanks in advance....I'm an Uncle!

Last edited by prolyfik; Jul 30, 2005 at 9:53 pm Reason: thread subscription
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You can first try ual.com (I just flew PEK-SFO on UA888), then perhaps expedia, and then I would try a Chinese search engine or a Chinese travel agent.

Congrats on being an Uncle!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stimpy
You can first try ual.com (I just flew PEK-SFO on UA888), then perhaps expedia, and then I would try a Chinese search engine or a Chinese travel agent.

Congrats on being an Uncle!
With due respect, Stimpy, I don't think your strategy is likely to produce competitive fares.

My first phone call would be to NH (y4200 to SFO, when specials are in effect, maybe a longshot in August).

My second call would be to a travel agent. PM if you want some numbers. I need to do some digging.

Booking directly with the airlines will almost always produce much higher fares, with the exception of NH. In fact, if you call AC/NW/UA, they will often refer you to agents that can sell their flights at deep discounts (for example, my last ticket on AC showed Y18000 in the fare field, but I only paid y6000). Speaking of AC, their 767s to YVR are nothing short of torture in my book and should be avoided.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Although I haven't used it, the following website may be worth trying:
www.flychina.com
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chchkiwi
Although I haven't used it, the following website may be worth trying:
www.flychina.com
Not very useful ex-China, I think.

Honestly, local travel agents are the only way to go. ctrip.com counts and you can view it anywhere, but you need to be able to read Chinese. Otherwise, I will try to post a few here, but since I'm in Shanghai now, doing so requires a bit of legwork on my part. In short, if the OP responds here or via PM with such a request, I will work on it ASAP. Otherwise, I will start a new thread once I get back to BJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.