What to do in Shenzhen?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What to do in Shenzhen?

I've never been to Shenzhen. Anything fun to do over a weekend? What are the better hotels?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:34 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've never been to Shenzhen. Anything fun to do over a weekend? What are the better hotels?
Some may say these are tourist traps but I quite enjoyed the theme parks Window of the World and Splendid China; the latter being more interesting to me as I've seen most of the stuff in Window of the World firsthand. Both parks can be done in a day or less.

Only having been to Shenzhen twice from HK, I mainly shopped/ate at the Lo Wu border complex which is quite nice, and cheap compared to HK.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. How long does it take to get back and forth between Hong Kong and Shenzhen? What are the fastest options?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks. How long does it take to get back and forth between Hong Kong and Shenzhen? What are the fastest options?
It used to be that one had to MTR to Kowloon Tong b4 boarding the KCR to Lo Wu. No longer. You can now catch the KCR from East Tsim Sha Tsui. Kowloon Tong -> Lo Wu was about 30+ mins not incl. the time it took to MTR to Kowloon Tong from the Island (another 15-30 mins). I would guess that TST -> Lo Wu is about 45 mins. Take note that there are lots of stops in between and the trains can get crowded especially during the weekends. The passing scenery of the New Territories is quite nice though.

Once you get to Lo Wu, the border shopping complex is on the other side of a bridge through immigration. A huge plus now is that you no longer have to cab to the theme parks. There is a new subway line that takes you from Lo Wu to Window of the World. Tres cool, me thinks ^
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is there a faster way by boat or helicopter shuttle?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
If you're just going to the Lo Wu region of Shenzhen (it's now a large city), the fastest way is to take a taxi from wherever you are in Hong Kong to Sheung Shui KCR (last stop before border). Then take the KCR train for one stop to Lo Wu and cross the border.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Its over crowded, its dirty, its now bloody expensive and a single entry visa costs a fortune.

The best thing to do in Shenzen is get out
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
There is a nice Crowne Plaza near the theme park...but the park is not that great if you're used to any Six Flags park. We would take out of town guests to Lo Wu for shopping near the border in the five story glass building (forget the name) It's cool that the KCR picks up in TST now. ^
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
there is a ferry service, central or TST to shekou,
schedule is not very good (as your hotel conceige for info), and shekou is not the center of shenzhen.
but the immigration is smoother by ferry.

haven't heard of helicopter service.

Last edited by pegasus8228; Jul 20, 2005 at 11:32 pm
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I ended up just making a day trip up to Shenzhen. I took the MTR from Central to Kowloon Tong, then took the KCR train up to Lo Wu. I was on a reverse commute so it was easy and immigration was a snap as I have a multi-entry visa. Shenzhen seems like most any other PRC city to me. Slums next to new high rises. I couldn't focus on much when outside as there is a record heat wave going on now. Brutal. The neighborhood where my meeting was held was completely devoid of westerners. We went to lunch at a decent restaurant where I got the star treatment. I guess not too many gweilos go there.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
you get star treatment in many chinese restaurants these days -- other cities as well.
being the gweilo obviously gets more stars some times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.