Search

Bangkok for New Years

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, SPG Plat., Hilton HH Gold
Bangkok for New Years

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Bangkok for New Years this year. What will it be like? Is it rather full at that time of the year? Will there be a big party/firework? Where should we spend the evening. Do the hotels offer any special events? Any advice is highly appreciated!
Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You mean western New Year, or Thai New Year?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, SPG Plat., Hilton HH Gold
Originally Posted by christep
You mean western New Year, or Thai New Year?
Western New Year...
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
New Year Eve in BKK and the rest in the North !!!!

Spend some nights including New Year Eve in Bangkok and prepare to get out. Especially in the Chiang Mai in the north. Many 5 stars in the CBD offer great package. Choose hotels in the area so you don't have to move such as the Intercon, Hyatt or the FourSeasons. Or you pick some by the river, Penninsula, Shangri-la, or even the Oriental.

Good Luck
Old Jul 4, 2005, 9:50 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Living in Thailand for 3 years before moving to China, I can say Bangkom and the north are quite nice but avoid the beaches as they are all packed to the gills and overpriced for "Peak Season" Dec 15 to Jan 15. If you need advice PM me and give me some details of what you are looking for and I will be as much help as possible.
-UFFA
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:21 am

We will also be in Bangkok for New Years. We are staying at the Sheraton Royal Orchid. Sounds like they have a pretty good fireworks display that you can see from the resort..
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Fireworks are launched from floating river barges on the Chao Phraya in front of both the Oriental and the Peninsula, I believe. We had planned a stay at the Pen last year to see them but they were cancelled due to the tsunami 5 days before. Still, there was a small-ish fireworks display and the black-tie gala on the lawn went on as scheduled. Take note that both the Oriental and the Pen's black-tie galas were north of US$300/pp (!!!), though they were very elaborate and festive.

There may be fireworks at the World Trade Center as well in the middle of the city (Siam station) - which is the site of the largest NY's eve gathering in Bangkok. I'm sure it's quite a party but it might get a little hot and humid with that large crowd of people

Of course, you could also spend NY's eve at the fun bars in Silom/Patpong where, I'm sure, the "special events" will be outrageous and memorable Just be ready to spend double or triple for the cab ride home (unless they extend the operating hours of the BTS/subway which they've done before).
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
blueDC, with whom Mr. Megatop and I spent a most enjoyable if subdued NYE last year in BKK, is spot-on. The place to be is the riverfront hotel district between the Shangri-La, the Oriental, the Peninsula, and (further upstream) the Royal Orchid Sheraton. The Millenium Hilton might also be open by NYE. The Marriott is too far downstream to get a decent view of the fireworks. There are also lots of festivities around the World Trade Center and Gaysorn Plaza on Sukhumvit, which is near the Grand Hyatt Erawan and the Four Seasons. Silom/Patpong is a mob scene that I've yet to experience on NYE.

All of the hotels have elaborate galas at their restaurants and so forth, which usually start at $100pp. NYE is a great time to be in BKK, as it's very festive and probably the peak of the tourist season (which can be a good thing). Upcoming will be my third consecutive New Year's in Bangkok, where I'll be back "at home" at the Peninsula.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
blueDC, with whom Mr. Megatop and I spent a most enjoyable if subdued NYE last year in BKK, is spot-on.
Who needs fireworks when we can make our own Not to mention I already have the know-how; my people invented them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.