Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

PEK-PVG versus HKG-PVG

PEK-PVG versus HKG-PVG

Old Jun 25, 2005, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
PEK-PVG versus HKG-PVG

I want to go to PVG next May. I can't get upgraded seats at a reasonable price on NW from the NYC area. I can get upgraded seats on CO to PEK or HKG.
So, is it better (cheaper) to buy a Business Class ticket to PVG RT from HKG or PEK?

Also, which of the Asia (Chinese?) carriers has better BC service?

Thanks

Ed
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
CO's HKG flight arrives pretty late, so the only choice to get to Shanghai the same day is on a MU flight to PVG.

If you're fly into PEK, you have lots of choices, including flying into SHA besides PVG. SHA is closer to the city center, but if you're going to the Pudong area, then PVG will be better.

EWR-HKG is almost 2 hours longer than EWR-PEK. Which can be a good thing (more FF miles, more time to enjoy the BF seat), or a bad thing (15 hours on a plane can be painful even if you're flying BF).
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Thank you. You are right in that its a lot more miles to HKG than PEK. The CO flight arrives HKG at 18:45 and the little invetigation I have done indicates a that there is a DragonAir flight at 20:20.
Still, after 15+ hours in the air, spending a night in HKG would not be so bad and then We could take the Maglev into town, with a next day daylight arrival in PVG.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Just want to add that a HKG-PVG business/first class ticket will cost more than PEK-PVG/SHA. That's for sure.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I want to go to PVG next May. I can't get upgraded seats at a reasonable price on NW from the NYC area. I can get upgraded seats on CO to PEK or HKG.
So, is it better (cheaper) to buy a Business Class ticket to PVG RT from HKG or PEK?

Also, which of the Asia (Chinese?) carriers has better BC service?

Thanks

Ed
While I understand your desire to ride up front, it's worth pointing out that one-way fares between PEK and PVG can be as low as $35 (including the airport tax), F is nothing special, and the flight is only 2 hours. Last week (peak season), I flew PEK-SHA for Y260 + Y50.

As far as carriers are concerned, I've grown partial to Shanghai Airlines (FM) of late.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:01 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
While I understand your desire to ride up front, it's worth pointing out that one-way fares between PEK and PVG can be as low as $35 (including the airport tax), F is nothing special, and the flight is only 2 hours. Last week (peak season), I flew PEK-SHA for Y260 + Y50.

As far as carriers are concerned, I've grown partial to Shanghai Airlines (FM) of late.
Wow! I had one of my worst flights EVER on FM last month and will not book them again. To each their own!

Where are you getting the RMB260 fare? I've never found anything that close, even with my Shanghai office booking it with consolidators...I opt for C or F intra-China because the difference between Y and C/F is usually only about US$50.00--and the ground service alone is worth it most of the time.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Wow! I had one of my worst flights EVER on FM last month and will not book them again. To each their own!

Where are you getting the RMB260 fare? I've never found anything that close, even with my Shanghai office booking it with consolidators...I opt for C or F intra-China because the difference between Y and C/F is usually only about US$50.00--and the ground service alone is worth it most of the time.
deep discounts have been more and more common of late and are often, if not usually, viewable/bookable on ctrip.

when ctrip comes up empty, i pick up the phone and call local agents. recently, i've found that hu often has cheap seats on offer even when ctrip shows full-fare only (presumably because hu is miserable).

the short of it is, i've flown 25+ segments between beijing and shanghai/hangzhou/ningbo over the past 3 months and have never had to pay more than y620 (vast majority below y400). on the one occassion that full-fare really meant full fare, i tried out the z train, which was well worth the experience. f/c are a lot more expensive (much more than $50 difference) because discounts aren't common.

as for fm, i'll be the first to admit that they have their bad days, but my opinion rests on quite a bit of data. i like them because they run their airline more like a business than a branch of the government (at least relative to ca and mu)....oh, and their FAs rock. more importantly, they aren't as bad as their competitors in a number of respects:

hu - most miserable airline i've experienced in china, hands down
mu- check out my trip report beijing-shanghai-jiaxing. while an isolated example, the problems/incompetance i reinforced a lot of my previous hunches. i'd still fly mu on domestic parts of international flights because they use good planes and don't cancel on a whim
ca- sure they are less likely to get stuck in bus gates at pek, but dirty planes and company mentality stuck in mao years
cz- a good airline, but they don't have many frequencies on my main routes

Last edited by moondog; Jun 27, 2005 at 2:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.