Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marijuana in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roberto99
I encourage the OP to do this, and in public, and then find out what happens!

Be bold!

Duhhhh!!!!
As a qualifier, let me reiterate that I don't play such games. Although the risk of getting caught is miniscule, I can't justify putting my career on the line for such.

That said, people smoke in public in the "bar blu -- poachers -- kai" strip every weekend and I've never heard of any problems.

So, while I think doing so might be stupid on an intuitive level (and qualifies under the "moron" provision I labeled in an earlier post), my emperical evidence suggests otherwise.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:55 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
As a qualifier, let me reiterate that I don't play such games. Although the risk of getting caught is miniscule, I can't justify putting my career on the line for such.

That said, people smoke in public in the "bar blu -- poachers -- kai" strip every weekend and I've never heard of any problems.

So, while I think doing so might be stupid on an intuitive level (and qualifies under the "moron" provision I labeled in an earlier post), my emperical evidence suggests otherwise.
moondog,

I certainly do agree with you that a moron would do such a thing.

And maybe the OP really SHOULD do this!

BTW, I personally try to keep a low profile in foreign countries. My trips go quite smoothly that way.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Silver
DVDs?

Originally Posted by dawei
First, you’d be foolish to try (not just because its China but because it’s a dangerous drug that has serious and well documented negative long term physical and mental health consequences) but if you are lucky the US consular officer will bring you McDonald’s and DVDs once a month while you are doing jail time. I have also heard that these same people will be taken into U.S. custody when they are done to face charges in the U.S. as well. Yes, I know for a fact that there are U.S. citizens doing time in Chinese jails for what would be a minor drug offense here.

On the up side you will have pretty good Chinese when you get out.

That said its pretty common in the expat community and for the most part, the maxim that if you aren’t involving local Chinese in your affairs, the po-po don’t care holds true. If you really want to score just look for where the Uyghurs hang out.

Having been one of those consular officers, DVDs are pretty much out of the question because you don't get TV in a Chinese jail. Maybe you'll get some outdated magazines, donated by the foreign service officers.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99
moondog,

I certainly do agree with you that a moron would do such a thing.

And maybe the OP really SHOULD do this!

BTW, I personally try to keep a low profile in foreign countries. My trips go quite smoothly that way.
What's with the snide attitude? All I'm trying to do is provide a pragmatic assessment of the topic in question.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:09 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 5:39 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
First, you’d be foolish to try (not just because its China but because it’s a dangerous drug that has serious and well documented negative long term physical and mental health consequences)
So does McDonald's, booze, cigarettes, etc, yet I'm sure none of those topics would have evoked such a reaction. Had the OP asked about having a cocktail in certain parts of the Arab world, could we expect reminders about cirrhosis and alcoholism?

But at any rate, I would trust moondog's view of things more so than some of the other postings on this thread. Not to say that I would feel entirely comfortable myself...just saying that his post seemed the most candid.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:34 am
dawei

RChavez, my apologies if I offended.

Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
RChavez, my apologies if I offended.
No offense taken at all, so no need to apologize. I was just trying to make a point that I find it interesting that questions like the OP's tend to evoke a much more, um passionate response, due to the fact it was about a substance that is illegal in much of the world yet widely consumed anyway. However, as I mentioned, a question regarding alcohol, which is also illegal in some Arab nations, I feel would have been given a pass or treated much more matter of factly.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:47 pm

look take this from a chinese born american-
i've worked in china for several years now and I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you will not only score hash but if you're lucky you might even get some green weed.
specifically, go to some bars or clubs favored by the expats and use your nose. my personal luck has always been with the africans; they have excellent hash from the mother-country.
as for lighting up, the majority of the locals won't even recognize what you're toking, and besides, the local branded cigarettes reek so bad you really can't smell beyond them.
as for the police, your best advice is to steer clear, there is still some level of resentment from them and your best advice is to stick in the middle of the expat crowd and play that angle, they are far more accomodating and equally too far from home to empathize.
duh547
Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by duh547
my personal luck has always been with the africans; they have excellent hash from the mother-country.
are you part of a ring or something? and what is the "mother country," turkmenistan?

edited to add: i didn't mean to sound so snide; chances are you were just trying to provide useful info, but advising innocent travelers to engage in business with a group of people that has been known to make a living ripping off unsuspecting foreigners (i'm sure not all are bad guys, btw) seemed to be a bit bold.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 8, 2005 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
I know quite a few foreigners who smoke joints in China. They get it from friends or whereever. Not really an issue. Honestly, after living on the mainland, I do not see any real percussions unless you're an idiot and smoke in front of the police or whatnot.

Hash and marijuana are easy to acquire there...so I've heard....
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
The chinese are extremely tough on narcotic, as the Opium War is still a scar in their memory.
yes, there are drug dealers, they are despised and hide in scums.

my advice is not to gamble your luck.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:04 pm

Just my 2 cents...

This is a legitimate question and the responses concerning execution were idiotic. Never been to mainland China but I would think, based on my personal experiences, is that they would, at most, deport you with a fine and blacklist you from re-entering.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I wonder where that persistent image in Asia of Westerners as childish and loudmouthed egoists comes from...
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:47 am
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 5:39 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.