Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

BKK airport - pseudo-transit!

Old May 8, 2005, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/Plat, AS MPV

Off on my big trip next week Never been through BKK airport, and will be using it several times; but my question is : a friend of mine arrives in BKK 12 hours before I do, and is unwilling to venture into downtown BKK on her own.

Anyhow, any good options for her to crash for a bit, before holding up a sign for me as I arrive? I've heard dayrooms @ the airport are expensive and not worthwhile.

Advice appreciated!
Old May 8, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
There is a hotel connected to the airport (Amari airport hotel???) that may have day rooms for a better price than airline club suites. From a couple years back I remember $50 being a price that stuck in my head.

If you will both be staying in Bangkok once you arrive, push her to grab a cab and head to a hotel. As long as she/you avoid everyone yelling and telling you about the best tour and hotels it will be fine.

The process is pretty smooth when you know where to go. There is a specific cab stand line, where you get into the queue, tell the person where you want to go. They write this down for you to hand the cab driver - and you are off. The key is to make sure that the cab driver can read the language that the person wrote on the card -- which was what happened to me the 1st time at bkk.

Have fun. I will be there on Thursday.
Old May 9, 2005, 8:02 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Where are you staying? Any financial constraints? She could always have a hotel Mercedes Benz pick her up and take her to your hotel. Would be less than a day room, she'd feel "safe" and she'd be in the comfort of your hotel.

Now if this was the "shoestring" type trip, this may not be an option.

Regards,

Scho
Old May 9, 2005, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

I like that idea. ^

Financial constraints - on her behalf. Besides, she does enjoy the "shoestring" experience. Any "shoestring options"?

I still think it makes sense for her to check into a hotel in BKK and then to reconvene. 12 hours hanging around Don Muang can't be all that thrilling.
Old May 9, 2005, 8:39 pm

You like the benz idea that is?

Where were you planning to stay the first night?
Old May 9, 2005, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schoflyer
You like the benz idea that is?

Where were you planning to stay the first night?

I haven't booked a place yet... ironically, I've booked myself for 3 nights in KL in June, but yet to book a place for this coming Monday night!

Currently liaising with friend to figure that out. Her financial constraints - not mine. I like to splurge.
Old May 9, 2005, 8:54 pm

Then she'll appreciate it when you pay for the benz and at least one night at a fancy hotel.
Old May 9, 2005, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Then she'll appreciate it when you pay for the benz and at least one night at a fancy hotel.
touche!

*ponders*

It's not THAT kinda friendship.
This is making thread off track...

Actually, outta interest - which hotel do you have in mind with the Benz pick up?

Last edited by gabes80; May 9, 2005 at 9:06 pm Reason: additional
Old May 9, 2005, 9:14 pm

Any 5* priceline-able hotel will be able to send a benz. You're talking no mre than US$80 per night in the Sukhumvit area if you're interested.
Usually comes up with JW Marriott, Westin, or Sheraton Grande.

You've heard of biddingfortravel.com right?

Lots of FTers use it as a reference but don't post there because the mod isn't too friendly. lots of BKK info there.
Old May 9, 2005, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Any 5* priceline-able hotel will be able to send a benz. You're talking no mre than US$80 per night in the Sukhumvit area if you're interested.
Usually comes up with JW Marriott, Westin, or Sheraton Grande.

You've heard of biddingfortravel.com right?

Lots of FTers use it as a reference but don't post there because the mod isn't too friendly. lots of BKK info there.
*ponders*
*Checks credit card bill*

Yes, I came across that. It caused me to have a fantastic weekend in Sydney 2 weekends ago Interesting point about the mod... I used priceline.com.hk to book rather than priceline.com; figured they would be the same, and my head actually works better in HK$ terms!

Status check : my friend isn't picking up her phone, so I may have to take matters in my own hands!
Old May 9, 2005, 9:24 pm

Good Luck
Old May 9, 2005, 10:44 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 16, 2005 at 12:11 am Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old May 9, 2005, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scandalous
Convince her to get over her silly fear of the unknown. Bangkok today is very safe for foreigners compared to any big city standards. Meter Taxi guys are relatively straitforward. Even in the very unlikely event she totally gets the wrong guy and gets cheated it will be for a fairly trivial amount of money. No bogie man is going to rob her on the street. Look at the time of day she is there, figure out something interesting for her to do and send her away from the airport. I could not imagine spending 12 hours couped up in BKK with such an amazing city out there. She could accomplish allot in 12 hours.

My original plan! Thank you for backing me up - nothing like people out there in cyberspace to backup my point.

She is, however, arriving late at night... 11PM'ish I think, as I arrive the next morning. I also love the fact that she may take offence at her having to conquer her fear of the unknown; as she has backpacked her way alone through "outback" China

Perhaps the conversations of "who would hypothetically fetch a higher price" amongst the 2 of us has got her scared, that she may get a head start!
Old May 10, 2005, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just returned from a week in Thailand today. I wish I had known about your trip sooner because I was looking for a place to dump my SIM which will expire at the end of the month with b500+ on it (I couldn't think of anyone to call during my mad dash to the airport from Ko Chang).

Anyway, I second or third the advice of those that suggest your friend get over her fears. We met lots of women traveling alone and in pairs down there and none had any bad experiences whatsoever to report. Thailand is much easier to navigate (well, with the exception of those crazy oneway streets) than China (and I've been in and out of China for over 10 years now).

Anectdotally, a friend from Manila met us in Thailand last week and he ended up spending nearly 20 hours at BKK because his passport had expired (doesn't travel much). He checked out the transit hotel option, but decided to sleep on chairs instead because he felt it was a rip off; plus he was on a budget. (Even more anectdotally, he ended up losing his wallet with all his money shortly after meeting us at Ko Chang and managed to somehow fry his cell phone at the same time; we simply funded him ourselves from that point on). The moral to this story, if there is one, is that your friend should get out of the airport, get a SIM, and be careful with her valuables (not that this last point doesn't go without saying).
Old May 10, 2005, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I just returned from a week in Thailand today. I wish I had known about your trip sooner because I was looking for a place to dump my SIM which will expire at the end of the month with b500+ on it (I couldn't think of anyone to call during my mad dash to the airport from Ko Chang).

The moral to this story, if there is one, is that your friend should get out of the airport, get a SIM, and be careful with her valuables (not that this last point doesn't go without saying).
I love anecdotes - and that's a good one. I'm stuck with an atrocious passport photo for at least 5 more years

Moral acknowledged, and will be relayed! ^

Incidentally, since I won't be the proud receipient of your SIMcard Moondog; which company did you go with? I'll be in Thailand for at least 3+ weeks, so it might be worth investing in one.

Wow, I've really digressed.

Last edited by gabes80; May 10, 2005 at 4:06 am Reason: additional

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.