Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Planning trip to Malaysia in July need recs please

Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:11 am
Original Poster

First trip to Malaysia - I have travelled to Thailand, Vietnam and Bali. we have about 3 weeks and are looking for some relaxation=beach and other unique experience. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:00 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
My wife and I spent time in Penang at the Shangri-La. Highly recommended. There is no much to see in downtown Georgetown, other then it has some areas that are really old.

As an option, if you are SPG, the Sheraton Perdana Resort is also nice and well worth its Starwood Level 2 costs for an award night. Once again, there is not much to do other than the resort.

Kuala Lumpur is of course a differnt matter. It is one of the more spectacular cities in Asia, with its architecture and the Petronas Towers. Its not to be missed if you have not been there.
Ed
Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Consider Melakka

Originally Posted by naxos
First trip to Malaysia - We have about 3 weeks and are looking for some relaxation=beach and other unique experience.
Melakka is an old colonial port that's about a 2.5 hr bus ride from KL. While it technically is on the beach, it doesn't have a ususable beach like Penang.

The whole reason for going is that old Melakka is that is practically a walkabout history museum. It has a full-scale replica of a Malay sultan's palace and garden, history and cultural museum, the ruins of the old Portugese church visited by St. Francis Xavier. It has a nice, compact Chinatown, which is also the night market.

One can stay at the Hotel Puri, which is an original Chinese mansion resused as a hotel.

Not much party action, but it is the best way to learn about the history and culture of Malayasia on an approachable scale (not a big place like KL).

Last edited by Bowgie; Apr 2, 2005 at 1:26 pm Reason: Accidently hit save before I wrote reply
Old Apr 2, 2005, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
For the relaxation/beach element try Pangkor Laut.

www.pangkorlautresort.com/

If you're thinking of going to the Cameron Highlands, I wouldn't recommend more than 1 or at most 2 nights. There isn't much to see except tea plantations.

Last edited by EEB; Apr 2, 2005 at 2:17 pm
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:47 am
Suspended

Langkawi : The most popular island in Malaysia (with foreign visitors) retains much of its rural charm and has good beaches at Datai Bay and Tanjung Rhu. "The Datai" is highly recommended for its rain-forest setting.

Penang : It has more character than KUL with its "old world" feel, and offers good local food. Dont go there for its beaches, you will be disappointed. (BTW the Shangri-la Rasa Sayang resort is currently closed for a major refurbishment)

Pangkor Laut Resort : A small private island off the main Pangkor island, is nice but not in the same league as "The Datai" in Langkawi. Beach at Emarald Bay is quite nice.

Cameron Highlands : Hill resort in tropical Malaysia. If jungles,flower farms and tea plantations are your cup of "tea", may be worth spending a couple of days.

Kuala Lumpur : Capital city and not much of an appeal (I may be biased since I live here). Plenty of shopping malls and cheapest 5* hotels in the world. Petronas Twin Towers seems to be the highlight for most visitors but I look at it every day !!

Melaka : "Historical" city but you are not looking at a few thousand years of history, more like a few centuries. May be worth a side-trip if you have spare time, but I wont loose any sleep if I dont manage to make it to this city.

East Coast Islands : Generally have the best beaches in the country but lack decent/luxury accomodations.

Borneo :Cant comment much since I have only been there once. Sarawak is often associated with the communal long houses of the local tribes. I didnt make it to the Bako National Park since it was raining when I was there ,but if you are into nature and wildlife, the proboscis monkey and the world's biggest flower may interest you.

Last edited by mario33; Apr 3, 2005 at 7:36 am
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I love FT- If anyone has more info please post- I am into heavy rrip planning now!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:39 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
www.royalmuluresort.com

gateway to largest caving system in the world!

Will be taking my 10 and 12 yr old sons there inJuly for 3 days
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:40 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
PS- 3 days in Malaysia, 25 days in INDONESIA. Worth checking out.Email me if you want details!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:07 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by beaubo
www.royalmuluresort.com

gateway to largest caving system in the world!

Will be taking my 10 and 12 yr old sons there inJuly for 3 days
Went there last year for a couple of days. Make sure you don't miss the Bat Exodus at sunset, a truly great sight ^ .
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:34 pm

Don't forget the Perhentian Islands! Absolutely amazing, but you have to be willing to slum it a little to get & stay there. Great diving too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.