Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Meandering through Japan...Nagasaki Holiday Inn or Osaka Hilton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:40 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Some of you may remember my thread about working my way west from Tokyo.....here's a link for quick reference in case you need it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398733

Trying to decide between using points at either the Osaka Hilton or Nagasaki Holiday Inn. I'm quite aware of the differences between a Hilton and a Holiday Inn, so I'm not really concerned with that so much as which will lend itself to seeing "stuff." For those those who have traveled these parts of Japan, which would you suggest?

My departure point is Fukuoka so ultimately I'll spend the last two nights there.... I've read numerous guidebooks and internet sites which indicate that Fukuoka "caters to foreigners," but evidently not the Priority Club or Hhonors points collecting kind

The Hyatt is apparently available through an Asian hotel booking site, for $97 per night...which sounds like an amazing deal, considering how much rooms go for in Tokyo. Does this seem right? Can anyone recommend anything else in Fukuoka? Departure that day is 7:00 am, and Hyatt is reportedly very close to the Hakata station, which will take us to the airport at 5:00 amish.....

Thanks all.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:01 am
LLZ
Original Poster

Anyone?? Where'd all those Japan experts go?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:23 am

Nagasaki is a pleasant city, with almost a small town feel when compared to Osaka, and lush vegetation you won't find on Honshu until summertime. Between the atomic bomb museum, the waterfront (highly recommended at dinnertime), port visit, and Chinatown, there is enough to do for 1-2 days.

One bonus would be the train ride from Hakata on the Kamome limited express, which features the most stylish cabin I have seen on any train. The Green compartment is only separated from the driver by a frosted electrochromic partition, which when underway gives great views of the rural countryside, with some fleeting thatched roofs, and ensuing seaside. Unfortunately, the attractive Green car attendant, who checked tickets then brought complimentary hot towels and drinks in the inaugural year, fell victim to budget cuts

One of the Fukuoka Hyatts does indeed offer rooms in the $100 range year-round, an excellent deal.

Referring to your other thread, you'll find Green cars on the Tokyo-Okayama Hikari trains, that is, past Osaka. Then, transfer to a 1-class Hikari Railstar, on which reserved cars have a 2-2 layout (2-3 in non-reserved cars).

P.S. Fukuoka immigration is reputed to be the most inquisitive in Japan, due to the downtrodden foreigners making a visa run to Korea, so dissociating yourself from such an image would be recommended . I was personally asked why I had so much luggage (a suitcase and a carry-on )

Last edited by monahos; Mar 29, 2005 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
There are two Hyatts in Fukuoka. One is Hyatt Regency and another is Grand Hyatt. The rate that you found is for Hyatt Regency. The rate of GHF would be more than 200 USD but GHF is much better than HRF. There is a huge shopping complex 'canal city' nearby GHF and you can enjoy your stay at GHF rather than HRF.
If you are a SPG, you can fly to Miyazaki by 40mins from Fukuoka and stay at Phoenix Seagaia Resort.
http://www.seagaia.co.jp/index_en.html
Also you can fly to Sendai by 60 mins and stay at Hoiday Inn Sendai. Here is a nice report of RTWSTARALLIANCE.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410601

Fukuoka Airport : http://www.fuk-ab.co.jp/english/frame_index.html
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Go for Nagasaki. We found it much more interesting than Osaka.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:48 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I wouldn't want to miss dinner in Osaka for any attraction, but then it's just me. Get a good Izakaya recommendation and ask the hotel concierge to phone ahead to state your preferences. Then let the chef have free reign and just enjoy the result with a few cups of fine rice wine. ^
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:54 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
I am in Nagasaki right now! It is a beautiful city, and like said above, there is enough to do for 2 days. The weather is nice, and the flowers are great. If you come in a week or so, you will hit the Cherry Blossoms. If you are already doing Tokyo, I would suggest the smaller, more charming Nagasaki, to Osaka, but I may be a bit biased!
ENJOY JAPAN!

Oh yeah, the Kamome is great, and as someone who has taken trains between Nagasaki and Tokyo, it is definetly the most scenic and comfortable ride! Tell us which you chose!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.