Istanbul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Istanbul

Not able to search on this sorry...

Can anyone give me any reccomendations re restaurants in Istanbul...

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:14 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
couple suggestions in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407404

Let us know what you find on your travels there ^ ^ enjoy.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
The restaurant at Topkapi Museum for the view - ask for the end seats outside.

The restaurant on the veranda of the Cirigan Palace Hotel - again, sit outside - spectacular view, walk the grounds at night - incredibly beautiful. Reasonable prices for that nice of a restaurant. Don't get sucked into bar that hangs out over the Bosphorus - somethig like a $25 cover charge (that was 3 years ago) & outrageously expensive drinks. (But it is pretty cool sitting there before you get the bill... )
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The kabobs on the edge of taskim square (may be spelling it wrong). They cost like a dime and are wonderful.

There is also the stuffed baked potato venders in Ortakoy on I think Sundays.

I know, both street foods, but totally amazing as to the amount and how good they were.

Just the other night on the way home my wife and I were saying we need something like that here.

Great if you are out and about.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
As I'm sitting here in IST as I type I guess I'm qualified to make a suggestion or two.

Street vendors. Shish, pretzel-things I can't remember the name of, great sandwiches, all cheap and very very good. The four or five restaurants I have been to have been mediocre at best. Small portions, pretty expensive for IST, and, like everything in this city, and absolute nightmare to get to from the airport.

After five days, I am looking forward to heading back to BCN tomorrow.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:24 pm

After a week in Istanbul I must say the best Doner Kebab I'e had comes from Nizam's in Vienna Virginia.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I highly recommend SARNIC for atmosphere alone although I did have a very good meal there. It is lit entirely with candles on wrought iron candlesticks all over the place & is beautiful. It is in a 2000 year old (what used to be) a cistern. It takes your breath away. It is right near Ayasofya in old Istanbul. their email is [email protected]
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Istanbul - best brunch?

Hi guys, new to this forum, and have a question.

My wife and I will be staying at the Ritz in Istanbul for our first anniversary. I think that the restaurant at the Ritz does a sunday brunch. We stayed at the St. Thomas Ritz for our honeymoon last year, and their brunch was amazing!

Was wondering if anyone has any comments on the Istanbul Ritz brunch vs. say the Ciragan Palace brunch? I ask because we will be there for only one Sunday.

Also, the package I booked through the Ritz comes with Breakfast on the weekends. Do you think this includes the Sunday Brunch? Price not as important as quality.

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:29 pm

Any other suggestions? We will be going on the 13th.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:10 am
phb

Originally Posted by corky
I highly recommend SARNIC for atmosphere alone although I did have a very good meal there. It is lit entirely with candles on wrought iron candlesticks all over the place & is beautiful. It is in a 2000 year old (what used to be) a cistern. It takes your breath away. It is right near Ayasofya in old Istanbul. their email is [email protected]
I ate in Sarnic a couple of nights ago and would not recommend it for the food. As Corky says the room is stunning, but the food was at best poor to average and massively overpriced by any standards, but particularly by Istanbul standards.

The cistern is by no means 2000 years old either, closer to 1000 (as if it really matters).

Last edited by phb; Nov 7, 2005 at 2:21 am
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:18 am
phb

Recommendation for a stunning place to eat in Beyoglu would be Flamm. Very upmarket feel, with a menu to match. Well executed international food with a local feel. Dinner for two including dessert and coffee and a very acceptable bottle of local wine was 125YTL. ^

Oh, and have a beer or two in the Pacific bar down the street. Efes was 3YTL and the atmosphere was great.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:00 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
couple suggestions in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407404

Let us know what you find on your travels there ^ ^ enjoy.
After spending an afternoon in Istanbul's sense-dazzling Spice Bazaar, walk to the banks of the Bosphorus for BALIK EKMEK - literally fish bread - served fresh from a smoking grill on a bobbing boat moored at the mouth of the Golden Horn. Fisherman catch bonito or mackerel in the straits, filet and grill them, then toss them into quarter loaves of bread with thick slices of raw onion and tomato - all for a mere 1.5 million Turkish lira. That's an incredible one-buck meal.

from Saveur Magazine Jan/Feb 2005

Take the ferry to the suburb of Kadikoy to the restaurant Ciya where chef Musa Dagdeviren cooks authentic Turkish meals.

--
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
2 restaurants in Istanbul that I liked

Just a few suggestions....I'm certainly no expert on Istanbul but over the course of 5 - 6 days I found, tried and liked the following 2 restaurants:

1. Cennet (Sultanhamet, Divanyolu Caddesi 90) Basically on a main touris street in Sultanhamet...but what I liked was that the restaurant makes fresh gozleme (basically pancakes) in front of you. You basically order the pancakes with fillings (or was it toppings)? Either way, I really liked it. I do think it's touristy...avoid the wandering musicians...but the food was good.

2. I don't remember the name but it was kati-corner across from the Blue Mosque. The restaurant is on the top floor of a hotel (Blue house hotel?) and it has a great view of the blue Mosque at night (the dome is all lit up). Again, touristy but the view was grand. When you stand with the Blue Mosque behind you , facing Haghia Sophia, this hotel is on your right. I remember it was blue...Does anyone else who lives or has visited Istatnbul know the name of the hotel/restaurant in #2...
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:29 pm

You've got it

Mavi Ev (Blue House) is indeed the name of the hotel of the same color that sits (roughly) diagonally across from the Blue Mosque, and they do have a rooftop restaurant. I can't say anything about the food (didn't eat there during my visit), but if you get a good table, there are spectacular views to be had of some of Istanbul's top tourist attractions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.