Wiki Posts
Search

Laos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Laos

We're planning a trip this summer to Laos. We've been told about the Settha Palace Hotel in Vientiane and the La Résidence Phou Vao in Luang Prabang. Has anyone been there, or know of better ones...

Is Lao Aviation OK - the Skytrax forums seem to give it an OK ranking...

And any suggestions on itineraries and what to see most appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:52 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
A few of us had an exchange today in the Luxury Hotels forum about Lao Aviation. Bottom line is, in my opinion, it's minimally ok. I've flown it from Luang Prabang to Vientiane a couple of times and lived to tell the tale. If pressed, I'd let my daughter fly on it, grudgingly.

There are issues of flying to sites in bad weather or when the ground is obscured by smoke or low clouds because of the lack of navaids, especially when aircraft other than the ATR72 are used. On the other hand, not everyone like 11 hour bus rides as an alternative.

No comment on the hotels. I think you mentioned in another post about Yangon hotels that you stayed at the Strand. I had some drinks there, during happy hour, and wobbled back to my $15/night hotel after. (Well, ok, I stopped off at 50th Street Bar and Grill on the way back since I wasn't quite wobbling symmetrically.)
Rich
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:16 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I was so busy being a wise guy in my earlier reply that I didn't address your query about what to see.

In Luang Prabang there are something like the Big 5 things to see and do. All the travel agents, of which there are about a zillion, know them, and they're well covered in guidebooks such as Lonely Planet.

If you're somewhat adventurous and go to Kuang Xi falls, which I highly recommend no matter what, bring a swim suit and good sandals that can handle full flood water. Then go up the LEFT side of the falls. You'll come to a set of wooden stairs. Go up about 3/4 way and you'll see a somehat flat path, though it looks more like a stream than a path, heading off to the right. Walk along this stream, heading a bit uphill, and you'll come to a basin below the top of the falls where you can swim, fool around, sit on the ledge, fall off and kill yourself, and generally have a great time. Caution: this is not OSHA approved.

In LPB go to the central market, Talat Dala, and, after dodging the old ladies wanting to sell you opium "smoky," you can buy a Lao "sin," skirt (for females) and then find a tailor in one of the shops to do the appropriate fitting. (You need a woman tailor. The male tailors won't want to bother with you, in my experience.)

Oh yeah. All the tourists get up early and feed the monks. So there are a bunch of local women that want to "help" you. They will happily set up next to you and give you sticky rice, khao niaw, for you, in turn, to give the monks. They present the bill later. It's pretty humourous to watch the tourists when the penny drops.

It's very pleasant to sit in one of the cheapo restaurants on the Mekong in the afternoon or evening, drink Beerlao, eat Lao sausage and sticky rice with a Luang Prabang salad and watch life on the river. Cost, maybe $2-3.
Rich
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:34 pm
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 16, 2005 at 1:02 am Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thanks to both of you. It was very helpful.

Braniff
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:37 am

The last time I flew Lao Aviation was in 1998, doing several hops on the Y-12s. I don't think I've ever prayed harder -- they were scary planes, but at the time, the road was scarier. My take on it was that I would fly Lao Aviation until I had dependents, and then it was out of the question.

Since then, the consensus seems to be that the ATRs are reliable enough, and they even have an Airbus, and those are okay to fly. And the point about relative risk vs. the roads is a good one. The Vientiane- Luang Prabang route, in particular, is so hugely popular that they put the best planes on it.

Both places are wonderful places just to relax and wander about. Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.