Wiki Posts
Search

Marco Polo hotel in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Marco Polo hotel in Beijing?

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has visited the Marco Polo hotel in Beijing? I will be in China in early May and have seen a US$90/night rate at the Marco Polo including breakfast...looks like an outstanding deal, especially since the Marco Polo is rated 4 stars and "highly recommended" by Frommers...has anyone stayed there and can anyone verify that this is a good place?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Wizard250
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has visited the Marco Polo hotel in Beijing? I will be in China in early May and have seen a US$90/night rate at the Marco Polo including breakfast...looks like an outstanding deal, especially since the Marco Polo is rated 4 stars and "highly recommended" by Frommers...has anyone stayed there and can anyone verify that this is a good place?

Thanks for your help!
i'm not crazy about the location (too far west), but it might be okay if you plan on spending a lot of time around tiananmen, beihai, houhai, etc. one of my friends used to live in that area and getting out to the 3rd ring was always a huge ordeal (plan on 40 minutes during peak hours).
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:09 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Hello,

Thanks for your help!
Stayed there last year. It's not a bad hotel by western business hotel standards. Breakfast is pretty good as well. Not very familiar with Beijing geographically but the hotel does have a central location.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
I stayed there on two occasions a couple of months ago. The rooms are excellent and have broadband at reasonable rates (2 RMB a minute, but a max of 100 RMB a day). The service is strictly by numbers (i.e., don't try for anything out of the ordinary). It's about 10 minutes on foot to two subway stops: loop line in one direction, line 5 in the other (where there's a trendy shopping district with Starbucks and stuff).

The disadvantages are: as noted by a previous responder, if you have business in the outer suburbs, it takes forever to get there in the rush hours and you are better off staying nearer to your destination. And if you are a tourist, there are no agencies, booking services or anything or anyone to help you (the concierge is ok for translating instructions to taxi drivers but that's about it).

Make sure your rate includes breakfast (MarcoPolo's own website often has lots of special rates) as it's fairly expensive if paid separately.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Any recent stays/reviews? My mother is considering this for a trip in June.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:52 am

Hello,

Thanks for your help!
I stayed there in January 2006.

The conceierge level ( top floor ) is very nice, and is highly discounted at times. I got it for around the US$90/night... and included breakfast AND afternoon drinks/desert. Depending upon the room, you can get a view of the Forbidden City.

I used the concierge desk in the lobby to book tours (Opera, Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc ). Really good deals that include a fabulous lunch.

Folks spoke wonderful English and were quite helpful.

As a tourist I had no problem with the location... I actually liked it. Very short walk to subway... and there's a Walmart close by. I mention that because it's kind of a kick to visit if you've not been to a Chinese Walmart... particularly the food level!

I'd definitely stay at the Marco Polo my next visit.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kkirksea
I stayed there in January 2006.

The conceierge level ( top floor ) is very nice, and is highly discounted at times. I got it for around the US$90/night... and included breakfast AND afternoon drinks/desert. Depending upon the room, you can get a view of the Forbidden City.

I used the concierge desk in the lobby to book tours (Opera, Great Wall, Forbidden City, etc ). Really good deals that include a fabulous lunch. ( The desk usually has a young lady sitting behind it to the left of the check-in as you enter the building.. if you go to the guys who are standing up (also to the left) behind a podium they'll try to help if she's not there... but they are NOT the tour desk. Ask the Hotel Mgr or Check-In for the Tour Desk person if she's not there ).

Folks spoke wonderful English and were quite helpful.

As a tourist I had no problem with the location... I actually liked it. Very short walk to subway... and there's a Walmart close by. I mention that because it's kind of a kick to visit if you've not been to a Chinese Walmart... particularly the food level!

I'd definitely stay at the Marco Polo my next visit.
Whoops. Pressed reply instead of edit.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
Dragon Hotel!

Another option may be the Dragon Hotel in Chaoyang. It is usuallly discounted on elong.net
Old May 2, 2006, 8:00 am

Programs: UA
I stayed on the club level a few months back. I think it was around $115 USD after all taxes and fees including breakfast and afternoon tea. Nicely appointed room although it was a bit small.

If you are a tourist, its a great location. Malls and lots of food and shopping close by, as well as a 20 minute walk to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. The subway station was about a 5 minute walk from the hotel..

I think it was a very good value for the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.