Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tea store in Beijing and/or Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Tea store in Beijing and/or Hong Kong

I am sure this will be the first of a number of questions about Beijing and Hong Kong. I have been to Hong Kong many times but this is my first to Beijing.

I drink far too much coffee and tee for a man my age. Any suggestions of either good tea houses or good tea shops is greatly appreciated. I will be in PEK about two and a half weeks and then in HKG for about a week.

Thanks.
Darren
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

No one? Anyone have a suggestion on where to look? Certain website that is reputable?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Not a real expert of Chinese tea, though I've certainly drank it for all my life...

Anyways, in Hong Kong, one of the more famous tea shops (dry leaves only) is Ying Kee. It's very reputable, and has been around for decades. They have several stores, including one at 151 Queen's Road Central in Central, 719 Nathan Road in Mongkok, etc...

Fancy places to drink tea is a new phenomenon in HK, but during my last visit, I saw two of them. One is a counter in the basement of Seibu Department store at Pacific Place. Another is at the Heritage Museum in Shatin. You can buy leaves there, and you can also drink freshly brewed tea, from HK$20 to $100+ per person.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Thx, rkkwan. I appreciate the info.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Thumbs up Tea Leaves in Hong Kong!

Christmas Eve 2003, I made a stopover in HK on Cathy Pacific on the way back to LAX from BKK to shop for authenitc Chinese Tea Leaves, titanium eyeglass frames and a Lucky Chinese knot wall Hanging in Chinese Red.

I found the ONLY tea leave shop (chain?) and samples of several teas were made for me. I was trying to duplicate the Ti Kwan Yin tea served in First Class on Cathy Pacific Airlines. Ended up buying several types including Lychee (red) tea, Silver Needle Jasmine, and the Monkey Picked Ti Kuan Yin (oolong).

But I have since purchased tea from www.specialteas.com , which has much larger choices and much fresher tea at better prices. In fact, their extensive catalog, is far more extensive in types of tea available with complete descriptions of each tea. Their website is kept up to date and features many 'special teas', not in the catalog. Likewise, their 800 phone number has very helpful agents answering the phone, who give VERY helpful information in selecting your teas.

For examle, my niece sent me their choice Monkey Picked Ti Kuan Yin for Christmas, and it is wonderful and much better then that featured on Cathy Pacific airlines First Class. At $112.00 per pound, it is worth it. All teas can be purchased in 1/4 pound sturdy airtight resealable plastic bags.

I ordered Lung Ching, Rooibos with Madagasgar Vanilla,, green Rooibos with tropical fruits, and Rooibos Chai as a starter for the year.

The Gold titanium eyeglass frames are not to be found in the U.S. and a steal at $60.00. The best I have had in many a year.

As for the Lucky Chinese Red Wallhanging Knot, it has taken center place on the Living Room Wall over the sofa. Once it was hung for all to see, my LUCK improved and is a highlight against the GOLD (Apricot Glow) painted walls. I now know what Color Therapy can do, since we painted and got rid of the Devil beige color, that the builder used sparingly on the grey plaster board.

Next December, I will take Malaysia Air in First Class with some NW Freq Flyer Miles to BKK via KUL with a stopover KUL on the way back to LAX. So am looking for some new experiences and tastes.

By the way, I only drink Green and Red teas all day long after breaking the coffee addiction 19 years ago. The antioxidents do wonders for the Healthy Lifestyle! Facial skin looks 15 years younger, and I feel that much younger.

Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Thx classy. I appreciate the information.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

Darren, I'm just back from Beijing. Friends who have lived there for a year were taking me out and about. Madame Fu's on Beihei Lake (in the city) is a very traditional place to have tea. The tea menu is written on a fan; whatever tea you chose is served with a lot of tea snacks - little sweets and dried fruits. The preparation is very traditional and quite different than British tea, fascinating to watch. The bill was $15 for two of us, shockingly high by Beijing standards, but very worth the experience.

A second place is on the main street in the Liu Li Chang antique shopping area. Look at the second floor of the buildings; you will see a large, worn wooden teacup attached to the building. Go in there for traditional tea. We paid $5 for a pot that served 4 of us; that came with no snacks.

There are a lot of shops on the street into the Liu Li Chang district where tea is sold. You can sample the tea before you buy. Many shops also have a wide range of small Chinese teapots on sale.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just want to say something about the new fancy tea-places in Hong Kong. I had a set lunch at the teahouse inside the Heritage Museum in Shatin (pretty interesting museum, if one has the time). They probably has over 30 types of tea, from HK$20 to over $100. But the best deal is the set lunch. For <$40, I got one dish, a bowl of rice or congee, a desert, plus a standard Pu Li (also spelled Pu-Erh) tea.

What's amazing is that for the tea, the server brought out SIX items onto my table. Now, I'm used to the cheapo old-fashioned way of one-pot, one-cup service. I actually asked the server what a couple of them are for! Slightly embarrassing, but better than use them wrong.

Reply, if you want to know what those six things are...
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:58 am

I recently bought a bunch of tea in Hong Kong at Ngan Ki Hueng Tea Comapny Ltd. at 290 Queens Road Central, G/F Tel: +852 2544 1375 Fax: +852 2544 9746. The guy, Tony, and this shop are featured in the Travel Channeles Secrest of Hong Kong show. He is also well regarded by the Tourism Board so he meets thier standards. He is a very nice guy and helpful and there are many many teas to choose from in his shop--all loose I believe. Although he does hint that most people prefer jasmine tea or rose tea rather than all the others he has on display and for sale. Plus he has those pewter canister holders that keep the tea fresh for years+.

Good luck.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Stam, about how much were those canisters?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Darren
Thank you everyone. Stam, about how much were those canisters?
The one I decided to get was about 180 or 200 HKD, I think, without the tea inside which is additional. I think it holds 200 grams. He weighed it out (the tea I chose) on the scale and poured it in. They are empty canisters made of pewter, and the smalls are like 100grams and then they get pretty large upwards or 1000HKD in price, I think. But you can buy tea in some metal tins or in plastic bags inside metal tins with Tony--all in various prices, but supposedly they do not keep as long, and the "secret" is to buy a pewter canister and fill with your own choice of loose tea. He has a whole 1/4 wall display of them, I think. I would surly go back to him the next time I need a refill.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:24 pm

Location: NW WP Gold Elite 2003 - 2005, Silver Elite - 2006 Southgate, MI, USA
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Just want to say something about the new fancy tea-places in Hong Kong. I had a set lunch at the teahouse inside the Heritage Museum in Shatin (pretty interesting museum, if one has the time). They probably has over 30 types of tea, from HK$20 to over $100. But the best deal is the set lunch. For <$40, I got one dish, a bowl of rice or congee, a desert, plus a standard Pu Li (also spelled Pu-Erh) tea.

What's amazing is that for the tea, the server brought out SIX items onto my table. Now, I'm used to the cheapo old-fashioned way of one-pot, one-cup service. I actually asked the server what a couple of them are for! Slightly embarrassing, but better than use them wrong.

Reply, if you want to know what those six things are...
I'd like to hear about those six different things.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWA_Fan
I'd like to hear about those six different things.
1. A electric water pot that brings the water back to boiling every few minutes.

2. A regular teapot to make tea.

3. A small pot that you pour the made tea into, before pouring into your cup.

4. A small cup.

5. A large bowl to dump the tea leaves out, so you can have a fresh pot.

6. Tea leaves in a cannister. There were enough leaves to make about 3-4 pots, so you can change out the leaves 2-3 times.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will try to find a nice afternoon tea on some day that I am there and I will certainly check out the tea shops mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.