Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goto Guanzhou

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Goto Guanzhou

What is the best way to go Guangzhou from Melbourne, Australia RETURN?

1. Melbourne - Syd - Guangzhou? By Air, which airlines

2. Melbourne - HKG? By Air
HKG - Guangzhou? By Air or train?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:36 am

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Welcome to flyertalk JAL!

Of course one would suspect that flying in is the best, but I disagree. You have to be aware that the city of GZ and the Pearl River Delta are such a terrible place to be, that going in via HKG with the express train is really your best option. Take your first and last hotel night in HKG and spend as little time as possible in GZ.

The new airport in GZ is also quite far out of town. If it is your first trip to the PRD from Oz you might consider carrying an air purrifier with you. Anyway, you will find out yourself.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
I agree that going into Guanzhou by train is the best choice, but staying a night overthere is really not that bad as well. I think the Swan hotel really worth a visit, as the premier address in Guanzhou, and also hold legendary status. It is located on the bank of the Pearl River, a river view room is a treat in itself.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the info.

few more questions: where I can get the train timetable, how long to take from HKG to GuangZhou and how much is it?

Thanks again.

Regards,
JAL2007
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
JAL2007 -

http://www.kcrc.com/eng/services/ser...itts_intro.asp

Schedules and fares for Kowloon-Guangzhou direct trains.

There are also several coach companies that have HK Airport - Guangzhou service. No need to go into the city to catch the train. Counters at the ground transportation center at HKG.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:13 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Things may have changed, but a couple of years ago I found the KTT trains superior in comfort and faciltities to the trains listed as semi-high speed. I don't have experience with the Xinshisu trains.
Rich
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:23 am

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
It would be wise to go for the KTT trains, they offer more value for money.
As far as the bus is concerned; My experiences with this service has been quite a mixed bag.
On some days they can waste an incredible amount of time in LMC boarder crossing. Also they take at least 3 hours...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks again Guys.

I think I will take Train to GuangZhou from HK.

I really appreciate for all the members who sharing their opinions.

Regards,
JAL2007
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I know you have your mind made up, but I just don't get it.

Coaches go directly from the airport. Sure, they may take up to 3 hours, because of traffic into Guangzhou and the border crossing, but you don't need to go into Kowloon. Plus just checking on some schedule, CTS (Chinese Travel Service) alone has like 22 departures a day, sometimes every 30 minutes. There are one or two other companies too. And the coach brings you directly to China Hotel with immediate connection to Garden Hotel (a few bus terminates at White Swan Hotel too). Adult price is HK$250 door to door.

Now, if you take the train, you need to get to the train station. Well, that takes 45 minutes at least. Taxi fare is over HK$300. If you take Airport Express, that's HK$90, and either a taxi connection (~$40) or wait for shuttle. Only direct connection is the A21 bus (HK$33), but that's slower. Then there are only 12 train departures a day (only 3 of them the "ktt" that others are suggesting). Sure the train takes only 1:30-1:45 or so, but you need to be there slightly earlier to clear immigrations. If you miss a departure, then it's another hour or more. And the train drops you off at Guangzhou East station, so it's another subway or taxi ride to your hotel. Fare for the train is still $180-190 for standard class, or $230 if the departure is a faster Xinshisu.

The only problem with the coach is the border crossing, which can be crowded and chaotic. I'd probably avoid that during major holidays, but during other times of the year, the coach is much faster, cheaper and more convenient.

Now, if you have other reasons to go to Hong Kong - want to spend some time in the city, etc - or if you're a train fan that's fine. But if you just want to go to Guangzhou, then I just don't see why you'd want to take the train.

Last edited by rkkwan; Mar 3, 2005 at 7:20 am
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Hi,

The reason is I will spend 2 days in HK before going to Guangzhou to visit my relatives.

Anyway thanks for your advice.

JAL2007

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.