Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cebu, Philippines or Bangkok/Pattaya, Thailand?.. And where to stay?

Cebu, Philippines or Bangkok/Pattaya, Thailand?.. And where to stay?

Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Express Centurion
Cool Cebu, Philippines or Bangkok/Pattaya, Thailand?.. And where to stay?

Hello everyone,

Thinking of where to take a 2 week holiday in the next few days as I need to get away from the cold English weather and am thinking of either visiting Cebu City, Philippines or Thailand. I have been to Cebu before and am familiar with the area. I also managed to get a discounted rate of 2400 PHP/night (USD ~ $45) inclusive of taxes and complimentary gourmet breakfast for a 2 week stay at the Waterfront Lahug, without a doubt the best place to stay in Cebu alongside the Shangri-La Mactan (which carries a higher price tag).

I noticed The Peninsula and The Mandarin Oriental in BKK are at least $200++/night. Is it possible to get any attractive (read: highly discounted) rates for these properties?

My main concern is my safety and well-being. Is it safe for a young guy like myself (over 21) to travel to Thailand alone? I feel the Philippines is very safe but not sure how things are like in Thailand.

My requirements are: nice accommodations that provide good value for money, excellent dining, good nightlife, friendly locals, and good shopping. Too much to ask for in Thailand? A friend suggested that if I want a mix of everything to visit Bangkok as is my first visit while others suggested Pattaya or Phuket... Recommendations on where to visit and stay in Thailand.. and What do you think the better holiday spot is?

Cheers,
around the world

Last edited by around the world; Feb 8, 2005 at 8:26 am
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by around the world
I noticed The Peninsula and The Mandarin Oriental in BKK are at least $200++/night. Is it possible to get any attractive (read: highly discounted) rates for these properties?
The quick answer to that would be "no". (I also don't think they represent particularly good value by Bangkok standards, but that's another kettle of fish.)

My main concern is my safety and well-being. Is it safe for a young guy like myself (over 21) to travel to Thailand alone? I feel the Philippines is very safe but not sure how things are like in Thailand.
The Philippines are considerably more dangerous than Thailand, largely thanks to the easy availability of firearms. In Thailand you're unlikely to encounter anything worse than opportunistic petty theft.

My requirements are: nice accommodations that provide good value for money, excellent dining, good nightlife, friendly locals, and good shopping. Too much to ask for in Thailand? A friend suggested that if I want a mix of everything to visit Bangkok as is my first visit while others suggested Pattaya or Phuket... Recommendations on where to visit and stay in Thailand.. and What do you think the better holiday spot is?
I like Bangkok. Pattaya doesn't hold a candle to other Thai beach resorts, unless you plan on spending your holiday in go-go bars.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum
Cool

Go to Thailand! The people are sooo warm and friendly. The service is second to none! I've been to Bangkok many times and have stayed many different places just to try them out for a few days. The Peninsula, Oriental and Shangri-la are wonderful properties and if you have never stayed at a 5 star hotel, Bangkok is the place to try it. If your going to play with the big boys...There is nothing better than the Peninsula. The lowest price you'll get is about $180 (Bangkok jem and jewelry convention's special rates)
If you want to spend $100-$130 (USD) the Marriott Resort (there are two Marriott properties in Bangkok) can't be beat for that price.
Now, let me tell you what I've discovered after trying them all. For the best value, go to www.the-ascott.com and look at the Somerset Suwan Park view. It is in a great location (next to the Ploenchit BTS station) and for $80 (USD) you'll get a one-bedroom condo with a kitchen, pool, exercise, etc. etc. and of course breakfast is included. There is no better value in Bangkok. The staff is wonderful as well.
Another suggestion is to go to Koh Samui, check out the First Beach Bungalow or Samui Resotel (there are many places to choose from in Samui).
Shopping...food....sightseeing....beautiful girls...safety....value...etc.etc.. Trust a stranger...give Thailand a try.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Thailand is quite nice and safe. Other than opportunistic taxi drivers, everyone is pretty nice.

You can Priceline some of the nice hotels in Bangkok (Shangri-La). I got these last year for $55 a night plus tax, but think it's a bit higher these days.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i also think you should go to thailand because the phils are too dangerous/unstable, but if you do decide to go to cebu:

-fly there on international flight, even if you have to pay through the nose to do so (you shouldn't)
-try to get a local rate at the shangri-la (can be as low as $50 per night). plantation bay also offers similar discounts, but i'm not a fan of the property (too disneyish)
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:17 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Living in Thailand half the year, it is my recommendation, BUT I don't think the Philippines are as dangerous as people are making out to be. Sounds like you plan to stay in the safer areas/hotels anyway.

I just returned from Phuket. Both Patong and Karon beaches were wonderful. I'm planning to spend another week in Phuket at the end of the month. Of course they can use the bizness, but I have to say how much nicer it was without all the people that are ususally swarming. We loved it.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I don't think the Philippines are as dangerous as people are making out to be.
i'm not so troubled by the overt dangers (though one of my best friends narrowly avoided being kidnapped on xmas eve 2002) as i am in the stability and efficacy of the current government. encouragingly, gma has shown some positive signs over the past 6-9 months (e.g. distancing herself from her husband) and seems genuinely commited to doing all she can, but it will take more than one woman to sort out that mess. bottom line: the phils are far more conducive to bad things than most people give them credit for. sure, chances are noone will mess with you unless you make yourself a target, but if they wanted to.....
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
i also think you should go to thailand because the phils are too dangerous/unstable, but if you do decide to go to cebu:

-fly there on international flight, even if you have to pay through the nose to do so (you shouldn't)
-try to get a local rate at the shangri-la (can be as low as $50 per night). plantation bay also offers similar discounts, but i'm not a fan of the property (too disneyish)
Don't agree with either of those statements:

I am often in the Philippines on business and regularly take domestic flights. However, I would agree if you said stick to Philippine Airlines or Cebu Pacific. I prefer the former as they often use their long-haul aircraft on domestic routes. Recently flew from Manila to Davao and back in an quite new A330...and it was much more comfortable than the old 747 and DC10 that I had on JAL from Tokyo to Manila and back!

I stayed at the Plantation Bay with my wife and kids and really enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and it was big enough to be relatively quiet even when it was quite full. Just loved the little islands in the man-made lagoon. My wife and I would camp out on one with our books and nobody bothered us all day...bliss!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I am often in the Philippines on business and regularly take domestic flights.
i also appreciate the fact that pr uses brand new 330s on its ceb-mnl run (that's because of cargo, i'm told). in fact, i have no problem domestic flights in the phils. however, i do have a problem with the --immigration in mnl plus domestic connection double whammy. i don't believe there's anyway to get from lucia tan's nice terminal to the crappy one the other philippine carriers use without taking a taxi (not an issue if your domestic flight is on pr).

contrast all that with a nice flight from nrt or hkg directly to cebu, a small airport with a very nice immigration staff.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:24 pm

I'd say try something new, since you've been to Cebu before, anyway. However, I'm quite amused at how a lot of people think that the Philippines is tres unsafe. Well it isn't as bad as people think. Besides, any conflict happens FAR from Cebu. Nothing happens there. Its very idyllic.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Solblanc
I'd say try something new, since you've been to Cebu before, anyway. However, I'm quite amused at how a lot of people think that the Philippines is tres unsafe. Well it isn't as bad as people think. Besides, any conflict happens FAR from Cebu. Nothing happens there. Its very idyllic.
no, it's not safe. yes, i've been there many times and am still alive, but the fact that it lacks a real government (witness the last election) and someone could have you axed for $500 has lead me to my conclusion that there are safter places. for what it's worth, my boss also thinks i'm a sissy; "makati is safe," he consistently maintains. well, there was a bombing there yesterday and our apartment was rigged with bombs last summer. i guess i prefer a safer "safe"
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by moondog
no, it's not safe. yes, i've been there many times and am still alive, but the fact that it lacks a real government (witness the last election) and someone could have you axed for $500 has lead me to my conclusion that there are safter places. for what it's worth, my boss also thinks i'm a sissy; "makati is safe," he consistently maintains. well, there was a bombing there yesterday and our apartment was rigged with bombs last summer. i guess i prefer a safer "safe"
I'm guessing then, that you weren't one of those people who had their pictures taken with the coup plotter's armored vehicles during that incident last year
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Solblanc
I'm guessing then, that you weren't one of those people who had their pictures taken with the coup plotter's armored vehicles during that incident last year
thankfully, i wasn't there at the time, but a colleague arrived there that night and took such pictures. actually, his story is pretty sensational. he basically locked himself in the bedroom and later escaped through the window and swiftly relocated to the mandarin. he called me from the bedroom several times and wasn't very happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.