Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Recommendations for Shanghai and Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Is this far out?
yes, but in the opposite direction. as you may be able to infer from my posts, location is very important to me (in certain cities more than others; during my recent trip to hutchinson, ks, i would have stayed 30 miles away if doing so would have improved upon the hi express). there are lots of $60 hotels downtown, but most are 3* and below.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:34 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
Rachamankha contact info !!!

You can try "rachamankha.com"

Good luck !!!!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Shanghai, which area to stay?

First time to Shanghai in 14 days.

I understand that SH is huge. Which area do you recommend for a tourist looking for night life and the main attractions of the city?

I'll stay for 3-4 days. Which attractions are a must?

Any hotel recommendations? Price range: USD 50-100

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2005, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
First time to Shanghai in 14 days.
I understand that SH is huge. Which area do you recommend for a tourist looking for night life and the main attractions of the city?
i suggest finding a place within (or close to) these boundaries:

west of ruijin rd; east of jiangsu rd
south of nanjing road; north of yongjia road

I'll stay for 3-4 days. Which attractions are a must?
that sort of depends on your tastes. aside from the bund, there are very few must-see attractions in sh. oh, and if you like opulent brunches, the portman offers one of the best in the world.

Any hotel recommendations? Price range: USD 50-100
these places are all near the hilton:
-jing'an hotel
-yan'an hotel
-shanghai hotel

these places are on hengshan road:
-hengshan hotel

this place (ling ling road at wanping road) is about 1 km removed from the zone i identified above as optimal, but i'll include it anyway because my friends think it's a great value; it is new and has suites equipped with soft beds, internet computers, majiang tables, and plasma tvs for y300-400:
-pan harvest inn; it doesn't show up on google so here's the phone number 54231209
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
there are some agents (eg ctrip) which gives you decent discounts when booking hotels. i am sure moondog has some better suggestions.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam

I have always done better in Asia having a local make the reservation in my name. Dunno why, always cheaper. If you have a sponsor there, try it. ^
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by pegasus8228
there are some agents (eg ctrip) which gives you decent discounts when booking hotels. i am sure moondog has some better suggestions.
yeah, ctrip provides a useful frame of reference for hotels in the op's price range. typically, you can negotiate around 20% better, but it's nice to have a starting point. but, be advised that a lot of the hotels they push are in terrible locations.

pm me if you want feedback on a specific hotel. and, also pm me if you want to try the pan harvest; i will contact my friend who works for the company that owns it so you can get his rates.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
JinChang Grand Hotel

I can recommend this hotel, it is a 7 min taxi ride from the hilton.

JinChang Grand Hotel
錦暢大酒店 
Shanxi Road 106
tel: (021) 54047108
fax: (021) 54047138
陜西南路106号

Price : starting at 250 RMB
i got a 250 RMB price after i gave the girl at the reception a smile

near there there is a good steak house called Dan"s .
i like the location.

btw. i used it or i am using it normally if i have a early flight so i wont wast another 200usd in the westin or hilton, for only 12h stay .

the hotel is really clean and good.

AND I Forget to mention ! they SPEAK English!

dp

P.S. go to the bund.
go to the mao min lu ( dont know how to spell it) for some drinks
go to the new judys
go to the facebar
use the transrapid from PVG will safe you a lot of time depending on the traffic and 430km/h on a train is a cool thing.
go to the fake market and see what you can buy there. you will not believe your eyes
there are some lovely places for dinner etc. in shanghai.

Last edited by derpelikan; Aug 4, 2005 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:51 pm

Negotiate a good rate?

Thanks for lots of useful tips in this thread!

I'm coming to Shanghai on Saturday and were wondering if someone could offer some advice on how to get the JW Marriott at a decent price. The reason I am being so specific is I want to get rid of some Marriott Premium Pounds expiring very soon, so I have to stay at a Marriott/Renaissance property.

The rate for my dates is now 1500 CNY+svc. charge which I find quite high (some corp rates at this hotel are about 40% off this price). Maybe I could get a last minute price or something...

If you guys have an idea as of how to get this rate down or even maybe a Chinese speaker could give them a call, I would be very happy as I'd rather avoid the trip from Renaissance Pudong where I am currently booked (at CNY 800+svc. - maybe we could get this down as well... ).
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA, LH, BD
if still looking for chiang mai - try venturing to the golden triangle and stay at www.anantara.com

it was ab fantastic... prob best value hotel i have ever been to
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:11 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Two other booking-sites I have been recommended are

http://www.elong.net and
http://www.precisionreservations.com

Both offer a decent selection of hotels for Shanghai, however elong is VERY slow. As I am traveling alone, anyone has a hotel-suggestion for a single traveler with the following parameters:

- safe, clean and not too ratty accomodation
- Internet access available
- cheap rate
- english speaking

Thanks for any suggestion.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sveg
Thanks for lots of useful tips in this thread!

I'm coming to Shanghai on Saturday and were wondering if someone could offer some advice on how to get the JW Marriott at a decent price. The reason I am being so specific is I want to get rid of some Marriott Premium Pounds expiring very soon, so I have to stay at a Marriott/Renaissance property.

The rate for my dates is now 1500 CNY+svc. charge which I find quite high (some corp rates at this hotel are about 40% off this price). Maybe I could get a last minute price or something...

If you guys have an idea as of how to get this rate down or even maybe a Chinese speaker could give them a call, I would be very happy as I'd rather avoid the trip from Renaissance Pudong where I am currently booked (at CNY 800+svc. - maybe we could get this down as well... ).
JW Marriott is advertising in Asia Pacific Business Traveller this month a rate of $168 per night for a deluxe room or $188 per night with club service (and this hotel has a really nice club). You need to phone the hotel direct and ask for the rate (no code in the advertisement). I also saw the same ad recently in an inflight mag (sorry, cannot remember if it was tg, sq, qf, or cx- but pretty sure actually it was sq). I stayed there again recently and was upgraded to a massive suite- two bathrooms, two plasma tvs, living room, office- too bad I was only there one night!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: SQ *gold / Starwood
I'm staying at the Rachamanka Chiang Mai in December for about $145US night. Reserved through sawadee.com.

It's a newer hotel, same owners as Tamarind Village. It's hard to find a bad word written anywhere about this place.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:28 pm

Does anybody know the Hengsheng Peninsula International Hotel on Wusong Road? On ehotels.de they offer rates between $51 (Superior) and $68 (DeLuxe Bund view) for the dates I'm travelling.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by sb65
Does anybody know the Hengsheng Peninsula International Hotel on Wusong Road? On ehotels.de they offer rates between $51 (Superior) and $68 (DeLuxe Bund view) for the dates I'm travelling.
This is my 4th attempt to opine on that property. I didn't like any of my first three versions because I haven't been able to find the right words so I'd like to give you a bulleted list of my thoughts instead:

-15 minute walk from the bund
-that area has managed to stay under the radar insofar as development is concerned (this is arguably a good thing, but the buildings aren't quite as interesting or quaint as those in other parts of town)
-I used to stay at the Pujiang (nearby) during college because it was really cheap and always boasted a fun atmosphere
-I wouldn't stay there any more because it is too isolated from the rest of the city (though not necessarily that far away)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.