Search

Thailand: Bangkok and ???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Thailand: Bangkok and ???

Hello,

We are planning to stay in Thailand for 4 days and then continue on to Singapore. We do plan to make a day trip to Ayyuthaya. Is that a good idea? Also where else can we go while in Bangkok? We are really not beach people, more of the historic and cultural type. Any ideas or opinions would be much much appreciated.

Thanks,

D.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:44 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Ayuttaya is very nice. You can join a combined boat/bus tour. I would recommend to rent a cab/private driver. That's more expensive, but also more comfortable and you have more time in Ayuttaya.

Damnoen Sadduak (floating market) can also be done from Bangkok. You have to go there very early.

Bridge on the river Kwai can be visited from Bangkok, too. You can combine it with Damnoen Sadduak or do it individually.

In Bangkok: boat tour through the Klongs, Wat Arun, King's Palace, Golden Buddha, lying Buddha.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I would second the idea to hire a private driver to go to Ayuthaya. We were quoted 4000 B (about $100) for a full day, including going to Lopburi to see the crazy monkeys. Instead the two of us spent 1600 B apiece to go on a tour that included the Winter Palace (forgot what it's called; its nice to see but of little historical interest), only visited 2 sites at Ayuthaya for 45 minutes each while passing several great sites on the bus, and then had to endure a 3.5 hour boat ride back to Bangkok. There are so many travel agents and guides in Bangkok it should be easy to arrange your trip; we used Bangkok Journey ([email protected]), your hotel can probably also set it up.

Don't worry; you'll get all the local culture you can get in Bangkok, we especially loved Chinatown and the Weekend Market
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
I would second the idea to hire a private driver to go to Ayuthaya. We were quoted 4000 B (about $100) for a full day, including going to Lopburi to see the crazy monkeys. Instead the two of us spent 1600 B apiece to go on a tour that included the Winter Palace (forgot what it's called; its nice to see but of little historical interest), only visited 2 sites at Ayuthaya for 45 minutes each while passing several great sites on the bus, and then had to endure a 3.5 hour boat ride back to Bangkok.
I did something similar through the Shangri-La hotel. The tour by bus was fine but I could have done without the 3.5 hour boat ride back to Bangkok. THB 4,000 private tour sounds like a good deal, especially if there are two or three people going.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH738
Ayuttaya is very nice. You can join a combined boat/bus tour. I would recommend to rent a cab/private driver. That's more expensive, but also more comfortable and you have more time in Ayuttaya.

Damnoen Sadduak (floating market) can also be done from Bangkok. You have to go there very early.

Bridge on the river Kwai can be visited from Bangkok, too. You can combine it with Damnoen Sadduak or do it individually.

In Bangkok: boat tour through the Klongs, Wat Arun, King's Palace, Golden Buddha, lying Buddha.

Thank you for all the info. Where can I find the websites or where can I go to arrange the tours?

D.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:46 am

I used Diethelm Travel ( http://www.diethelmtravel.com/thailand/excursion.aspx ) though there are definitely cheaper agencies, too. During a Klong tour, the boat driver arranged a taxi driver for Ayuttaya and River Kwai. Unfortunately, I don't have the name anymore - but it is also 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure that you'll find reliable agencies in Bangkok or ask in the hotel.

Edited to add: please note for private tours: you only get the driver, you still have to pay entrance fees (though cheap) and you have to get a book to read about the sights. (But the guides often tell too much or even uninteresting (= they can't make if right for everybody) stuff).

Last edited by LH738; Dec 11, 2004 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:32 am
Suspended

Angkor Wat

How about a side trip to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) instead of Ayutthaya ?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:21 am

bangkok

I lived in Bangkok for 2 years. I also did quite a few day trips. Ayutthaya is nice. They have elephants there that you can feed and ride around some of the ruins. The Reclining Buddha is there as well. Angkor Wat is in Cambodia and a short flight away. You can also over night in Chiang Mai, which is up north and is also a very short flight. Luang Prabang, Laos is great and is about an 1 1/2 hours by plane. Everything is cheap. There is a good restaurant in BAngkok called Crepes and Co. They have a huge breakfast and is only $10 a person, give or take. It's a full course with fruit, French Toast, coffee/tea, etc. Jim Thompson House and shop is nice to see. They give tours in English. I agree that the Winter Palace is not that spectacular. You could probably skip it. Check out the Grand Palace, which has the Emerald Buddha. Be wary of taxi drivers in this area or going to this area. They'll try to say that it's closed or overcharge taxi fees. Kanchanaburi (River Kwai) is very nice and elephant riding can be found in that area as well. The museum is small, but good. Take the boat up to see the bridge. The Death Railway can be ridden from there as well. It's usually crowded and since it is so hot, I didn't do it. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:05 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Gypsy Traveler
I lived in Bangkok for 2 years... ...Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.
F A N T A S T I C First post ^

And a big welcome to Flyertalk... from all of us
Old Dec 11, 2004, 1:06 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Bangkok is such a great place... but you have to do it right.

Best to plan to be indoors between 10am and 2pm. Up early with a rest/nap/lunch break is perfect. And when you're out in the day.... walk slowly!

Stay out of the noise, traffic, polution if possible. Sky train, and always have the taxi turn on the meter.

If your 4 days include Sat or Sun, many people like the Weekend Market. Far to big, hot, and too many people for me... but really a must do. Easy to get to by taking the 'SkyTrain' to Mo Chit station. (that link is to a Bangkok guide too ^ )

I loved Ayuthaya and especially the Summer Palace... we did the tour of both 1/2 day ea with lunch included, driver and tour guide for ... gee i forget, but I think 300per person.

Grand Palace is great and within the city limits. I recommend a guide unless you're comfortable winging it. Dress code strict regarding closed heel footware... very smart to wear sleaves and long pants if you're visiting temples too.

Angor is amazing, but not worth only going for a day or 2. It's just not enough.

Get to the river... public river boat up or down....

As for the canal tour great idea.. here's my trick for that. Man on the dock I call the boat pimp. He takes 50% of whatever you bargain for... usually X many minutes for X many baht Per Person. I whittle as short a time period as I can.. 15-20 minutes... as cheap as I can. Once the boat has left the pier then I offer the driver an extra 1000 or whatever we can agree to. They're usually thrilled that they're not splitting any of it that I've always gotten a great tour. English skills not always great (oh, they'll say floating market...even though it's not taking place, snake farm even though you can't see the snakes, etc... best to just enoy the great style)

Some of the best dining around... hotels, restaurants, chefs from all over... and then the thai food on the street is just as good.

I could go on for days... but I won't. Enjoy!!!!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you all, again, for all the wonderful responses. I had initially thought of going to Siam Reap, however when I priced tickets, the rates are about $325 pp which kind of drives up our budget. So, we had to forego the Siam Reap trip. It will definitely be cheaper going to Ayyuthaya...

Looking forward to reading more tips on touring Bangkok,

D.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Desirees
I had initially thought of going to Siam Reap, however when I priced tickets, the rates are about $325 pp which kind of drives up our budget.
D.
It may be cheaper to fly to Siem Reap from SIN. Sometimes Silkair do have very attractive fares to Siem Reap from SIN.

My favourite ancient sites in SE Asia are

1) Angkor Wat
2) Bagan
3) Borobudur

Worth considering if you visit this region again.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:56 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Another reliable travel agent in BKK that does sightseeing tour is Asiatravel.com. You can visit their website at:-
http://www.asiatravel.com/thailand/s...gkok/bkk1.html

Happy Planning!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:38 am

Only few houers in Bagkog

My wife and I will fly in on LH ariving at 14 h; next day at 8 a m they oick us up for 2 day boat tour.. and after coming bach we again will only have a nicht till the 6th day trip into the noth..

Waht should we do in those few hours in Bangkok - seems rediculous the just relax..
Hopefully we did the correct thing! Its our 60th bithday we'd like to celebrate ther
Thanks for any help
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by koernbach
Waht should we do in those few hours in Bangkok - seems rediculous the just relax..
Hopefully we did the correct thing! Its our 60th bithday we'd like to celebrate ther
Thanks for any help
- Grand Palace: though opening times may further limit your time
- Klong Tour

If you have still time: Lying Buddha, Wat Arun, Golden Buddha.
There are also boat tours during late evening with dinner. I haven't done such a tour yet, so I can't comment if it is worth while.

Enjoy your birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.