Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angkor Wat: Recommendations for Guide?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Angkor Wat: Recommendations for Guide?

Can anyone here recommend a particularly good English-speaking guide for Angkor Wat (preferably with an email address, so we can contact him/her in advance). Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 3:39 am

there are english speaking guides all over the place. Any driver can get you one with no trouble.

One source for somewhat better guides is diethelmtravel the local american express agent. When I was there two years ago their guides seemed easier to understand.

http://www.diethelmtravel.com/cambodia/main.aspx
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:47 pm

We used Ponheary Ly. she was recommended and was terrific. I will look for her email address. It is [email protected]

She is a former teacher- her English is excellent and her driver is great. She will work with your itinerary or help you choose. We spent 3 days with her- for day trips and could not have been more pleased. she is proud to share her country- warts and all.

email me if you have other questions

Last edited by naxos; Nov 5, 2004 at 10:40 am Reason: got her email address and spelling
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
My only comment on this is hearsay, however, I've been told that going around to the back entrance for the sunrise is a better approach than the front entrance. Not sure if this makes sense as I have not been there. Comments?

Scho
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:18 pm

great guide

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Can anyone here recommend a particularly good English-speaking guide for Angkor Wat (preferably with an email address, so we can contact him/her in advance). Thanks for your help.
Tan Vanna at 855 012 866 143 is a great guide. He grew up in Siemreap so he knows a lot. Make sure you see the conservatory or angkor as it has all these ware houses with all the misssing pieces of the temple. arms in one place, torsos in another. It will really show you the scope of the task ahead for who ever assembles the temples. Also have him walk you through the village along the river as you really see how Cambodians live.
email him at [email protected]
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
good replies ^ ^
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
we used this service (based on recommendations from others) http://angkoradventure.greatnow.com/

they were terrific!!!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I booked my car, driver, and guide through my hotel. The driver spoke better English than the guide, not a great situation. My guide was charming, very polite, etc., but his English was totally fractured. I should've written down some of the things he said, most entertaining. If I had it to do over, I would buy a really good guidebook before leaving home and use it to tour the temples without a guide.

But you have received some good recommendations for guides who have access to e-mail. Go with one of the suggested people, but always have a back-up plan in case your reserved guide gets sick or something.

I really enjoyed observing all the groups touring the temples. There were guides speaking German, Japanese, Korean, English, Spanish, French, and who knows what else. My guide told me more and more Germans are coming to Siem Reap, so he is studying German with the best German-speaking guide. I wanted to urge him to keep studying English harder, but didn't want to be rude...
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
We also used Ponheary Ly, she is an excellent guide and has her own driver.
She came highly recommended and lived up to our expectations.
Casey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.