Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:41 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Sorry can't help much about your airline/visa questions. All I know is GA (Garuda) has much better schedule MES-CGK-DPS.

Time from airport to Grand Hyatt (in CBD) is about 45-60 minutes at around 11-11:30am.
Return may take much longer though if you depart around 6-7pm (due to rush hour traffic).

Departure tax of Rp. 100,000 is for international flights only. The domestic tax is much lower, IIRC Rp. 20,000.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Marquis790
Also, I can't seem to find the info I need on the Indonesian consulates' page, so can someone confirm: as 2 US passport holders obtaining an Indonesian visa in Medan and travelling entirely domestically before leaving country from DPS, will 1 visa cover everything? I'm assuming so b/c I'd hate to pay $25 in MES and DPS and $10 in CGK. Also, I don't want to get cheated.
Am I missing something here? You're flying two legs domestically and staying within Indonesia the whole time, so there are no immigration checks and your single visa will remain perfectly valid.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:08 am

Programs: United MM
Is there a good web site that shows a tourist map of Jakarta - as in, one that shows where all the hotels are located?

I am going to Jakarta for the first time next week. The client recommended The JW Marriott or the Shangri-La. I prefer Hyatts & Starwood hotels. Could anyone tell me if either of these properties is in the same vicinity? And between the 4, which is better?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:20 am

Grand Hyatt is located within 5 minutes drive from Shangri-la.
The only 2 Starwood properties in Jakarta are Sheraton Airport and Sheraton Media, which are far away from the CBD.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LightSpeed
Just stumbled across this thread, so while u might be done with the RTW already, here goes anyway:

There's a cavernous club called "Stadium" in Kota which has a reputation for consistently pushing the limits on the progressive/underground house music scene in Jakarta and host to the usual big-name Dj's (Sasha / Oakenfold et al) in addition to the local hot shots. ^

Since it's down the road from Mangga Dua, you could always go shopping, leave your spoils, and continue partying at Stadium. Last time I was there, I the place was known to be open non-stop through the weekend (you could literally start on Friday evening, and not stop partying until Sunday night without leaving the place).
ah yes, Stadium, one of my favourite hang-out spots in Djakarta. I went there in April, with an American friend and two Indonesian women, and right from the start my friend and I were awe-struck at just how amazing that place is. Maybe the only negative was getting stuck in the elevator, but at least that didn't last too long...
we went to the 4th floor (lantai empat) which is where the house music (I believe) is, and the cover was Rp. 50. 000, with a free unusual grape "vodka" carbonated drink. oh right, well I guess the other problem was that half of the people in the club were swaying their heads, can you say "E"?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
May be a little off topic, but I may be spending about a week in BOGOR just outside of Jakarta in early September ..... any recommendations for hotels there or between Bogor and Jakarta ?? transfer or taxi service JKT to Bogor city (cost?) restaurant recommendations ??

I like the look of the botanic gradens and zoo in Bogor as well asother business dealings I have to conduct there .. anything else to do ?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:20 am

retrav1K,
Novotel Coralia Bogor looks decent:
http://www.novotel.com/novotel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml
Old Jul 20, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Beware of Stadium right about now. There is some gang retaliation going back and forth with the bouncers/employees, and the occasional crossfire incident is likely (although they've been using swords!)

I'm due to arrive in mid-August for what will be my 20th visit, although I'm a creature of habit, revolving between staying at the Intercon hotel, going to work, and then heading off the Shangri-La.
I have been to a number of nice restaurants, but I just an never recall the names. I know, I'm a fountain of information.

I can tell you that the Intercon has wi-fi for 120,000Rp for 24-hrs, and if you stay on the club level ($80), they throw it in for free.

One more note about the city in general. Although all major hotels have added carbomb security checks before cars can approach the entrance, the latest warning comes about walk-in bombers attempting to get inside lobbies before detonating. Given the quality of the door screeners, I can see this being fairly easy. So I would avoid the Hyatts of the city which are the busy meeting places, or if you stay in one, dont spend much time loitering in the lobby.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
ah yes, Stadium, one of my favourite hang-out spots in Djakarta. I went there in April, with an American friend and two Indonesian women, and right from the start my friend and I were awe-struck at just how amazing that place is. Maybe the only negative was getting stuck in the elevator, but at least that didn't last too long...
we went to the 4th floor (lantai empat) which is where the house music (I believe) is, and the cover was Rp. 50. 000, with a free unusual grape "vodka" carbonated drink. oh right, well I guess the other problem was that half of the people in the club were swaying their heads, can you say "E"?
Is there any other clubs that I can head to, its been 4years since I've been to Jakarta. My business trip may be bringing me there in Sep-Oct for a week. I don't want to hang around Stadium for the entire stay
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Still the same stuff...BATS at ShangriLa, 30 at Le Meridien, X Lounge/Vertigo, Dragonfly, Blowfish...PM me for some others...what types of clubs or bars are you looking for?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:42 pm

Question Last minute packing tips for Jakarta....

I'm moving from California to Jakarta on Tuesday and wonder if there is anything I might not think of packing that I'll want once I'm there. AFAIK, I can get just about anything there, right? I'm taking lots of English books...Can anyone suggest anything I might not have thought of? I still have a couple of days to shop.

I'm a single female and plan to be in Jakarta for two years. I've lived in South and Central America and Europe, but never SE Asia. I'm getting excited!

Thank you for any help!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by sugaree1
I'm moving from California to Jakarta on Tuesday and wonder if there is anything I might not think of packing that I'll want once I'm there. AFAIK, I can get just about anything there, right? I'm taking lots of English books...Can anyone suggest anything I might not have thought of? I still have a couple of days to shop.

I'm a single female and plan to be in Jakarta for two years. I've lived in South and Central America and Europe, but never SE Asia. I'm getting excited!

Thank you for any help!
Hell, bring US some stuff like a dozen Krispy Kremes.

Actually, you can find everything here but english books are expensive...The proper supermarkets will carry all things western but be prepared to pay $5 for something like a can of Spam (not that you eat that but it's a good benchmark).

Perhaps deodorants and stuff like that should be brought in if you are sensitive that way.

Other than that, welcome to Jakarta and see you around!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to meeting you!
I'm off to buy suitcases! Nothing like waiting until the mast minute for everything.....
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SW, JB, Spirit; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What can I realistically do in JKT for 10hr layover on a Saturday?

Hello again. Thanks to everyone for their previous replies to my last questions. I've confirmed my itinerary and my partner's gotten into contact with some people in JKT to meet us and show us around. However, as lots have pointed out, traffic is really bad there, and at least one contact has suggested that we just meet and hang out in the airport because traffic will be so bad.

Here is our itinerary. Saturday 8/20 arrive CGK from MES on AirAsia (AWAIR) QZ7503 1050am...depart CGK for DPS on QZ7518 at 840pm.

I know that we'll be arriving on a Saturday and traffic will be bad, but is there ANYTHING we can do in JKT during such a layover?

Finally, can anyone with direct experience with AirAsia in Indonesia (AWAIR) help me? Their FAQ says that check in is 45minutes before departure and that it closes within 20minutes of departure. That said, will I have to wait until we arrive back at CGK to check in for our evening flight, or can we check bags through when we arrive? I ask because AirAsia's FAQ makes it clear that they are point-to-point carriers only. If this is the case, are there storage lockers in CGK?

Thank you again in advance for all the help!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Marquis790
Hello again. Thanks to everyone for their previous replies to my last questions. I've confirmed my itinerary and my partner's gotten into contact with some people in JKT to meet us and show us around. However, as lots have pointed out, traffic is really bad there, and at least one contact has suggested that we just meet and hang out in the airport because traffic will be so bad.

Here is our itinerary. Saturday 8/20 arrive CGK from MES on AirAsia (AWAIR) QZ7503 1050am...depart CGK for DPS on QZ7518 at 840pm.

I know that we'll be arriving on a Saturday and traffic will be bad, but is there ANYTHING we can do in JKT during such a layover?

Finally, can anyone with direct experience with AirAsia in Indonesia (AWAIR) help me? Their FAQ says that check in is 45minutes before departure and that it closes within 20minutes of departure. That said, will I have to wait until we arrive back at CGK to check in for our evening flight, or can we check bags through when we arrive? I ask because AirAsia's FAQ makes it clear that they are point-to-point carriers only. If this is the case, are there storage lockers in CGK?

Thank you again in advance for all the help!
Actually, I don't think traffic is bad on Sat. I run to the airport on Saturdays quite often for noon flights and never had a problem. Actually, it makes for the fastest run for me...45 mins or less from Kemang.

I don't think it's a problem coming into town and leaving the same day.

As to JKT, do you mean CGK? There basically is only the Sheraton and the Cengkareng Golf & Country Club around there (the airport) and if you both like golf, this is an excellent CC. You can play a round, shower up, get a massage and have dinner before your flight, all within 5 minutes from the airport.

As mentioned, I don't think it will be a problem getting into town and meeting your friends here on a Sat. Have you got transport? Perhaps getting a car and driver at www.bluebirdgroup.com might be a good idea. As for things to see and do, check out the posts above and/or do a search.

Sorry don't know anything about AirAsia and their procedures. Also never noticed a left luggage counter at the airport...but I never looked.

Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.