Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Excellent Quality Clothes and service from a Bangkok tailor, (& CHEAP too)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:51 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Raja's Tailors is at 147 Sukhumvit Road, corner of Soi 11, next to the Ambassador Hotel. It is also very close to the Sheraton, JW Marriott and Hilton.

I went in w/the desire for some new linen pants. They had about 30 different kinds of linen to choose from. I choose one fabric and was measured. This was at 4pm, at 10:30pm, my salesman stopped by the hotel where I was staying to drop off the pants, but not before making sure I was pleased with the fit, I was. $35 per pant was the cost. I was impressed and went back before we left for Phuket and ordered 8 business shirts made from Egyptian cotton fabrics. Total cost $100. Wife had some wool and cashmere pants made, is pleased as well.

I had two great experiences at Raja's and would highly recommend them.

http://www.rajastailors.com email: [email protected]

Old Jun 15, 2003, 1:41 am

I visited family in BKK recently and also had some custom tailoring. I also went to "Raja's", but it was a different place. Apparently there was one store, "Raja's Fashions" until Mr Bobby and Mr Raja had some sort of falling out, and now there are two stores with more or less the same name - Raja's Fashions (the original store I think) and now "the Original Raja's".

My brother in law says that while the two shops are both decent, the people from his company and alot of the expat community prefer Bobby's shop. Bobby doesn't advertise and works almost exclusively with ex-pats instead of tourists, so you won't get 8 shirts for $100 (more like 4 or 5), but my brother-in-law who needs top quality suits says you can tell the difference. I am stunned with my suit - it is wonderful (but I'll admit I'm not an expert). If you want a suit from Bobby, it will take a week and 3 fittings.

Mr. Bobby can be found at Raja's Fashions at shop no 1/6 Sukhumvit Soi Nana 4 (right opposite the Nana - ahem - "Entertainment" Plaza). tel 02-2538379 All I can say is Bad Location - Good Suits.

Another location for cheaper, but decent quality custom tailoring according to my brother in law is apparently the tailors right next to the silk place I mention below, but I forgot their name.

For Women's custom silk work, my sister took us to another ex-pat favourite, Queen Thai Silk, 199 Sukhumvit Road near Soi 15 (in the minimall above a dodgy bar) tel(662)6510083. Again the prices are a little higher due to the materials they use, but the quality is fantastic. Bring in a picture of anything you want made or look at the magazines they have, but make sure you double check colors etc. that she's got them right.

And while I'm on a roll with the tips I got, dinner at Vertigo on the roof of the Banyan Tree in BKK is not to be missed. The view at night is spectacular. It's a little more pricey than an 80 baht Pad Thai though...

Last on my list of Thailand hints is a great travel agent in Phuket. A really nice girl who will make sure you get the tour/hotel/etc. that you want with no hard sell. She runs "Golden Poppy Tour" 30 Ruamjai Road in Patong (right next to the Burasari and down the street from the Holiday Inn Resort). Tel 66-76 292412 email: [email protected]

She really took care of us while we were there sorted through all the options and made sure we got the excursions we wanted. The Phang Nga sea caves inflatable canoe trip is particularly brilliant.

We'll be returning to the Land of Smiles soon!!!

[This message has been edited by jwlester (edited 06-15-2003).]
Old Jun 16, 2003, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I used Chinese Tailor in Bagkok and got two suits with a pair of spare pants for each, two custom shirts and two ties for $700. I thought they did a good job, but am not an expert. They picked me up at my hotel and dropped me off wherever I wanted. They came to my hotel for a final fitting and shipped everyhtign home for me.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
It sounds like Mrs. Sweet Willie (who I personally know ABHORS being called that) was able to get pants made at the first listed location.

Anyone else have experience with women's clothing at other BKK tailors?

I'm looking for a couple of things...

1. I have a few pieces of suiting wool that I already have and want to have made into items that I can show photos of but don't have fit examples. Can anyone give me an idea of what various items (sleeveless dress, simple skirt, simple jacket) will run if I bring my own fabric/lining with me?

2. I have a pair of pants that I adore but that are literally falling apart. I would love to have a half-dozen pairs made in various fabrics EXACTLY like these. If I take them over as a pattern, can they replicate from that? (I don't mind if they cut them apart to lay the fabric.)

3. If I have a simple suit (dress/jacket combo) that I like can they mirror that without killing the existing items?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I imagine the answer to your questions is independent of gender. I've done items 2 and 3 on your list (but for male pants/jacket) with considerable success. It was a perfect reproduction in the end (done by a tailor in Canada, but I would expect similar success in BKK). Having an item to copy is a great help for the tailor.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We used Friendship in Chiang Mai.

My wife tagged along and got a suite with a coordination skirt. While she drove me a little crazy at the time, she's very pleased now. She looked great this morning as she debuted her new outfit!

I look good too! Custom rocks!

Dan
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
We used Friendship in Chiang Mai.

My wife tagged along and got a suite with a coordination skirt. While she drove me a little crazy at the time, she's very pleased now. She looked great this morning as she debuted her new outfit!

I look good too! Custom rocks!

Dan
</font>
Heh ! Heh ! Custom tailors tend to be the norm in Asia though. It finally comes down to developing a taste and knack in selecting the fabric, choosing a cut; and be prepared for atleast two fittings before the final product - Which many tourists may not have time for.....

On the other hand, one of the two locals in BKK I use has a website http://www.pierreboutique.com/enter.html

[This message has been edited by akhullar (edited 08-07-2003).]
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:45 pm

I have been using Jesse and Victor as my tailors for the past for years. They are a father and son team and their store is on Sukhumvit near the corner of Soi 4 by the Landmark Hotel. I have purchased everything from casual trousers and shirts to dress clothes to a tuxedo from these gentlemen and they have never failed to satisfy. In fact, my tuxedo was ordered and picked up by my wife who was on a business trip to BKK. I was not involved at all yet the tuxedo that they manufactured from my measurements, that they had on file, was a perfect fit. If you are in BKK and are looking for a tailor, give Jesse & Victor consideration.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 4:53 pm

For good quality in both men's and women's tailoring in the Sukumviht area I've been using Baron Fashions for teh past 15 years.
They are located between Soi 5& 7, quite near the Landmark Hotel and have a large expat following.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:01 am

If you need a quality suit, then the place to go is "crown tailors" in sukhumvit soi 8. Excellent service, excellent work. Some other tailors are comparable in town, but its just I've become accustomed to his work and his service. So try him out and see how it goes.

Last edited by garyphil; Oct 15, 2006 at 11:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.