Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Jakarta Suggestions?

Having never been to Indonesia before, I decided to squeeze in a very short stop on my upcoming OZ trip in August. I'll be arriving on QF 077 from Perth at noon and leaving the next morning on CX 714 to Singapore.

Where would you suggest staying for a little bit of sightseeing and maybe some nightlife (provided it's safe enough to go out alone for the night in Jakarta for a guy in his early twenties)? I have seen decent rates for the Hilton and Pan Pacific for example on some websites and would be looking for this kind of a hotel.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by LH747FTL (edited 06-06-2003).]
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:04 am

Stay at the Le Meridien, they have a great bar/club called "3-0" (three-Zero as the local calls it) so that you don't have to go out of your hotel property.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:17 pm

rosewood hotel

Darmawangasa in Jakarta is the best hotel. I think the spelling is wrong but if you have such a short time in Indonesia you will get a nice introduction to this great country. Don't miss this hotel!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Yeah the DHARMAWANGSA is the best place to feel the real Indonesia. But for sightseeing, there's not too much to do in my opinion. Ask the concierge for recommendations.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
If you stay at any of the central hotels (Hilton, Four Seasons, Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, Shangri-La, Marriott, Ritz Carlton, et al), you'll be fine in terms of location. In particular, as to the whole foreigners bar/nightlife scene, BATS at the Shangri La and Tiga Puloh (30) at the Le Meridien are probably the best on terms of ease of location and fun factor.

Clubs (and restaurants) such as Dragonfly and X Lounge are cool (as in cool lounges with "beautiful" people) and are more where Jakarta residents go...though you will find us running into BATS, etc once in awhile for the live bands, etc.

For souveniers like Indo handicrafts and clothing, go to Pasar Raya mall (near Blok M) for a huge assembly of concession stands. Some really nice stuff too. And loads of sarongs, et al as well.

If you come in for lunch (or dinner), I suggest you go to Cafe Batavia in Kota (old central part of town and generally now where the Chinese live and eat). It's a great old place and very nicely done. Food is good too. You won't regret it. Across the square from Batavia is the old Dutch City Hall and other excellent old colonial buildings. Some from the 1650s. Walk around by the river (terribly putrid) and you'll see some really neglected old colonial buildings but they are nonetheless, interesting.

As for sightseeing, there are tour companies but you will not be in town long enough for that. Not much to see in Jakarta, there's Monas (the expensive and gaudy national monument) and the National Museum. There are things to see around the Greater Jakarta area but not much in town. Also, traffic is terrible so expect to spend alot of time in traffic.

If you want the full uncensored rundown, PM me.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh StarG! Where are you?

He knows alot about this town and should be able to help here.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Oh StarG! Where are you?

He knows alot about this town and should be able to help here.
What do you mean???

StarG doesn't go out at night...heheheh...
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oontiveros
Not if there are Starbucks with hi-speed internet.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:31 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by oontiveros
What do you mean???

Heeey... that's supposed to be just between a "diehard party goer" and me!
You guys do realize that OP was in 2003?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by StarG
oh....forgot to read the date...heheh...well, if anyone's interested...those ar ethe places...

Ok StarG, so when are you joining us for a night on the town???
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG, we were all fooled by the date.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by StarG

HAHA.. two years ago..

by the way oontiveros, can i have the uncensored rundown, too?

Thanks,

~Little Dragon Kitty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.