Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Current hassle factor in visiting Vietnam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My wife and I will be in Singapore this winter with about 5 free days to head somewhere else in Southeast Asia. We've been to most of the countries in Southeast Asia, but we've never been to Vietnam. The country seems to get mixed reviews; lots of people seem to have a great time, others report major hassles (I know they've made the visa process much easier). I remember Nomadic Matt posting a screed a few year ago about how badly tourists are treated in Vietnam.

So I'm trying to get a good handle on the actual tourist situation in Vietnam. And whether 5 days is enough time to be worthwhile. It doesn't seem like we'd enjoy spending all that time in Hanoi or Saigon, where I assume we'd have to fly into. I'm wondering if there's a "blockbuster" site near either of these cities that would be a particularly worthwhile addition.

I still remember driving around the highlands of Thailand a few years ago (near Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai), thinking it would be more interesting than a more typical Thai beach vacation. We loved the food, but didn't think there was all that much "to see" there. So I'm kind of wondering what there would actually be "to do" in Vietnam in a short period of time that would be interesting. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:50 am

Consider Luang Prabang in Laos which is lovely. But can be expensive to get to from SIN. If Vietnam my choice would be Hoi An (fly to Danang). I found the hassle factor quite low in Vietnam.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:05 am

I don't think the hassle factor is a problem in Vietnam these days. And five days soaking up the atmosphere and eating (and then eating some more) in Hanoi isn't too much.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Been to SGN 3x, and would go back again But this year heading to Hue(via DaNang via HKG) and Hanoi (night trip to HaLong Bay)

Never felt any kind of hassle factor in Nam.

If you havent been to Siem Reap Id head there

working on a BKK trip but only to the city not interested in the resort areas, I have Hawaii for that
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by 889
I don't think the hassle factor is a problem in Vietnam these days. And five days soaking up the atmosphere and eating (and then eating some more) in Hanoi isn't too much.
Agreed. I much prefer HCMC over Hanoi though.

I don't think you will find a "blockbuster" type of thing in Vietnam though, especially if you didn't have the best time in Northern Thailand.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I liked Hoi Ann. Been in Saigon three times, but I would not consider that place for more than a day.

Heading in Da Lat in late Nov, will update once back.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
I liked Hoi Ann. Been in Saigon three times, but I would not consider that place for more than a day.

Heading in Da Lat in late Nov, will update once back.
I sort of agree with you about SGN itself, that the major sites in the city can be done in 1 day, but if a person wants to go to Chu Chi and The Mekong Delta as day trips then it pays to stay in SGN for longer then a day.

That said, I did enjoy simply walking around and taking it all in over a few days. The main problem is now with all the construction for the new subway and all the high risers being built SGN is no longer as quaint and beautiful as she used to be
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
If you want to avoid the big cities, fly into Danang. VN has a very low hassle factor IMHO.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by erik123
Consider Luang Prabang in Laos which is lovely. But can be expensive to get to from SIN. If Vietnam my choice would be Hoi An (fly to Danang). I found the hassle factor quite low in Vietnam.
Actually tourists are treated very well in Vietnam (certainly much friendlier than Singaporeans), but 5 days doesn't give you enough time to see this country since transport is so time consuming. I would have to agree that Luang Prabang would be your best bet followed closely by Hoi An.

(don't believe everything you read on the net)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me just add another "What hassle factor??" comment.

I found it generally very easy to get into and around Vietnam. But I live in Asia, and am used to some of its quirks. So my viewpoint may be a bit skewed.

I thoroughly enjoyed our visit this past summer, and am looking forward to going back soon.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The only hassle is not coming from a visa waiver country and needing to get one online ahead of time. A minor nuisance.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I am scratching my head what hassles there might in Vietnam.

Some (many) nationalities need a visa, but the process has gotten much easier over the years. (There was a brief period last year where visas were a costly "hassle" for US citizens). You may of course have bad luck if you arrive at the wrong time, but I generally find Vietnamese immigration waits much better than, say, Bali or Bangkok, or even Narita on a bad day.

There are some scams and petty theft, but no worse than elsewhere in Asia. Walking around and crossing the street can be challenging. I personally prefer Saigon to Hanoi, but I can be friends with people who feel otherwise. Danang has beautiful beaches, and nearby Hoi An is a nice place to spend a half day.

The biggest hassle for me is that Vietnam is one of the countries not covered on my TMobile simple choice plan, so I have to remember not to use my phone until I've bought a Vietnamese SIM card (which are cheap and easy to get).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. We decided to go to the Thai beaches instead, because we've never been there either, it's closer to Singapore, it's the best season for it. the airfare from SIN was much less, and the flight schedules were better. Vietnam sounds worthwhile, though, so we'll work it in on another Asian visit. I think I need more than 5 days, too, while we don't need more time for a Thai beach.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
We've been to most of the countries in Southeast Asia, but we've never been to Vietnam.
You've never been to a beach in Thailand? Which area did you decide on?

FYI, there are some Thai beaches that are closer to Singapore, than Vietnamese beaches, but there are also Vietnamese beaches that are closer to Thai beaches.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
You've never been to a beach in Thailand? Which area did you decide on?

FYI, there are some Thai beaches that are closer to Singapore, than Vietnamese beaches, but there are also Vietnamese beaches that are closer to Thai beaches.
Nope. So I guess I need to see what I've been missing. The only time I've ever been outside of Bangkok in Thailand is to go up north, and to drive to Siem Reap. I think we're going to fly to Phuket (cheap, frequent flights from SIN), rent a car, and try some of the less busy beaches in the northern part of the island. I was going to look for recommendations on Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.