Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Philippines given recent events

Old May 24, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I am finalizing my trip to SE Asia which will run from mid june to mid july. I was thinking of spending 6-7 days in Cebu City and Bohol. Given current events especially with their leader talking about a possible implementation of martial law nationwide I am wondering if I should rethink the second half of my trip and select another part of SE Asia. I don't want to overreact but if he implements martial law across the country I am worried it could disrupt my travels and movement. I'd hate to give up on this part of the trip, but if its going to become a real security issue for me, or if the government's actions are going to adversely impact my vacation then maybe I need to look elsewhere. Thoughts?
Old May 24, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG, Chase, Citi, Alaska, Southwest
Not sure if this helps but the State Department issued this last December https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/philippines-travel-warning.html

A little dated but my guess is the threat never went away. I have heard about other terrorist activities when you go off the beaten path.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: SPG, Chase, Citi, Alaska, Southwest
This also came up on a search https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...l-information/
Old May 25, 2017, 6:47 am

I don't think the entire country is under martial law. The southern stretches have always been restless with a Muslim insurgency. Nothing new.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkskyline
I don't think the entire country is under martial law. The southern stretches have always been restless with a Muslim insurgency. Nothing new.
The martial law and escalation is certainly new. You are correct the martial law does not apply to the entire country, but the president is considering it. I guess we will have to see how things go through the weekend.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:24 am

This does not seem to be a president who does things by half-steps. Not that anyone really knows, but would anyone be astonished if the whole country were under martial law, and a somewhat harsh martial law at that, by mid-summer?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
The martial law and escalation is certainly new. You are correct the martial law does not apply to the entire country, but the president is considering it. I guess we will have to see how things go through the weekend.
There is no reason to declare martial law throughout the country if they contain things in Mindanao. Friends in Mindanao (outside of Marawi) have been supportive of the martial law and haven't seen any impact in their day to day lives. As long as you aren't going to Mindanao, things should be safe. Things have been dangerous down there for many years. To be honest, if things spread to Luzon, they better declare martial law to keep things under control. There have been a lot of changes to martial law to prevent what happened under Marcos, but that is another topic.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion;28359032[B
]There is no reason to declare martial law throughout the country[/B] if they contain things in Mindanao. Friends in Mindanao (outside of Marawi) have been supportive of the martial law and haven't seen any impact in their day to day lives. As long as you aren't going to Mindanao, things should be safe. Things have been dangerous down there for many years. To be honest, if things spread to Luzon, they better declare martial law to keep things under control. There have been a lot of changes to martial law to prevent what happened under Marcos, but that is another topic.
i totally agree with you there but that is not what the president is saying. He is the one suggesting he may do this so its not like a random concern I was mentioning but some he actually said he is considering this week. Maybe he is a big fan of puffery with his statements and its mostly talk, but with this guy you never can tell.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:17 am

mindanao under martial law

maybe best to avoid mindanao for at least 60 days (end of ML unless congress extends it).

rest of .ph same as before.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:14 am

[Moderator edit to redact political content - see Moderator note below.]

Don't worry if you're not going farther from Manila than Bohol or Cebu or Palawan. Things are lively and optimistic in the capital and major cities, which are mostly booming with modern development. The bad events are in peripheral areas [Moderator edit], much like in Europe but more sensibly controlled.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 28, 2017 at 9:41 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:29 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Hello!
Mmmmmmm lots of political talk. I am interested in the OP post. I have a hotel 5 days in Puerto Princesa City, Puerto Princesa that I am considering building a trip to the Philippines around.
Is there a enough to see in Puerto Princesa City, Puerto Princesa for 5 days?
Where is the best place to research this for an insider view from an experienced FT perspective?

Any travel hacker specials to get to Philippines from north america?
What is best way to get around the island? I don't have a lot of time.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:43 am

Most of my friends have been to Palawan via the airport, but not Puerto Princesa the city. That's natural beauty all along the coast and nearby islands just grabs all the attention. Roads used to be few and rugged, but things have been modernizing due to the added influx of Asian visitors.

I suggest you google Pangulusian Island. El Nido, Underground River, Ugong rock climbing. to get an idea of the available stay and transport options.
Tripadvisor reviews tend to be current. If ultra luxury is your thing, check out Amanpulo although it's on its own exclusive private island.

You can start with this guy's trip report:

The brand-new airport (lucky you):
http://www.rappler.com/business/1688...t-new-terminal
Old May 28, 2017, 8:06 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Great video
thanks so very much!
I have a 5 night stay at Puerto Princess on the beach and considering building a trip around this. I have to decide soon as its next week or so.
I don't know how lux I want to do it but again I don't want to spend lots of money in SE Asia.
I dont have hotel anywhere else but I have lots of pts.
How does Philippines combine with a trip to Malaysia?
Old May 28, 2017, 9:40 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

Much of the recent discussion in this thread has been about political discussion of the current country's leadership. That is an acceptable topic for the restricted forum of OMNI/PR. To access that forum requires 180 days of FT membership and 180 posts.

To keep to FlyerTalk rules, we need to limit the discussion in this travel forum to issues concerning travel to and within regions of the country. Thanks for understanding, Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Great video
thanks so very much!
I have a 5 night stay at Puerto Princess on the beach and considering building a trip around this. I have to decide soon as its next week or so.
I don't know how lux I want to do it but again I don't want to spend lots of money in SE Asia.
I dont have hotel anywhere else but I have lots of pts.
How does Philippines combine with a trip to Malaysia?
You can ask your hotel or hosts if the underground cruise and other beaches are easy day trips. It's probably best to let them arrange the van hires, public transit even in the city will not be as developed as in Manila or Cebu.

I haven't been to Malaysia except for seafood sidetrips along the coast across from Singapore. Many Asians only fly LCCS via Kuala Lumpur for destinations farther south. Manila already features great dining and entertainment options, including famous restaurants from all over Asia.

But if you must fly somewhere else, maybe Singapore? Unique biomes like their Gardens at the Bay were already worth the trip for me. Then there is all the reasonably-priced hawker and food court dining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.