Search

Anybody visit an orphanage in Bali

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Anybody visit an orphanage in Bali

I am going to Bali soon and in one of the private villas I looked at for accommodation they asked if guests could bring a small educational toy to donate to a local orphanage. It got me thinking.

I've found an orphanage with connections to Australia and named after one of the 2002 bali bombing victims. I just wondered about visiting. Has anyone visited an orphanage. Is it heartbreaking or uplifting.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I am going to Bali soon and in one of the private villas I looked at for accommodation they asked if guests could bring a small educational toy to donate to a local orphanage. It got me thinking.

I've found an orphanage with connections to Australia and named after one of the 2002 bali bombing victims. I just wondered about visiting. Has anyone visited an orphanage. Is it heartbreaking or uplifting.
You must be talking about the Jody O'shea orphanage?

Well kids are kids, so just give them a visit and bring them some toys, etc. if you would like to!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zolex
You must be talking about the Jody O'shea orphanage?

Well kids are kids, so just give them a visit and bring them some toys, etc. if you would like to!
Yes I am. On their website they have a large wish list. I am making plans to buy lots of things. It will make me feel good and help the kids.

Zolex, I work in the food industry and can get large size quantaties of things they require like pasta, milo, hand soap. Could I get more for my money by buying in Bali or should I bring it with me from Australia. I figure if you are from CGK you might have a better idea than me. Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Yes I am. On their website they have a large wish list. I am making plans to buy lots of things. It will make me feel good and help the kids.

Zolex, I work in the food industry and can get large size quantaties of things they require like pasta, milo, hand soap. Could I get more for my money by buying in Bali or should I bring it with me from Australia. I figure if you are from CGK you might have a better idea than me. Thanks.
Yes buying locally is probably cheaper and saves you the hassle of dealing with customs, import fees, ...

Btw: a friend of mine is currently volunteering for a sister project ('The Jack Price Project'). Maybe I could try getting in touch with the people running the orphanage and ask what is best?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zolex
Yes buying locally is probably cheaper and saves you the hassle of dealing with customs, import fees, ...

Btw: a friend of mine is currently volunteering for a sister project ('The Jack Price Project'). Maybe I could try getting in touch with the people running the orphanage and ask what is best?
That's a great idea too to help feed the needy. We really are lucky in Australia and many take for granted what we have.

I read on one of the reviews that someone said they went to the orphanage and one of the staff then went with them to the supermarket to get lots of supplies and they paid for it. I'd like to buy local too if it helps the supermarket owner and then the orphanage.

I assume hopefully that when I bring a lot of stuff with me I won't have any problems with customs or import fees as I'm bringing it in to give to the local Balinese people.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.