Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Batam/Bintan on weekend

Batam/Bintan on weekend

Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Batam/Bintan on weekend

While I have been living in Singapore for more than five years, I never been in Batam and just once been at Bintan right after the arrival for a weekend.

Have a friend of mine visiting Singapore for a work contract and wants to go to either or both these islands. Is there anything to see there, considering that he is not interested in shopping or food? Like nature/sightseeing?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, VA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Diamond
Batam is pretty depressing, unless what you're after are prostitutes. I wouldn't bother going there. I'd rather go to Singapore's southern islands, such as St. John's, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Well, too late - we are already here. But you are essentially correct: I tried to explain him that neither of these islands are tourist destinations but he just wanted to go and 'plant flag there'.

Last edited by invisible; Jan 15, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Back now, update on this.

Originally Posted by 18hours
Batam is pretty depressing, unless what you're after are prostitutes.
Honestly, comparing to Bintan's Tanjung Pinang and rest of the Bintan, Batam is an upscale modern city. Seriously - there is Starbucks there.

But not disputing what you said, it is well known locally that most Singaporean males go to Batam for 'massage'. And yes I would not recommend going to Batam/Bintan except for specific purpose to go to non-touristy Indonesia with photo/selfie taken 'I've been there'. And Batam-Bintan ferry is the 'excellent' opportunity to experience local Indonesian transportation.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:29 am

Bintan has some luxury resorts. It is comprised of Melayu and Chinese culture. Past years, it was dubbed as next big thing in Indonesia. Batam is more industrial. Well, it has its stories as you mentioned.

I have never been in both islands so can't say anything more.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Bintan has some luxury resorts.
Yaah, right. The following review was submitted on TripAdvisor after staying at Mayang Sari for one night:

I feel sorry for people who think that this is five star property.
Where can I start... The only thing at this property can qualify for five stars is sounds of waves, which BTW you can buy at iTunes for $0.99 and save the rest of minimum $199.01 per night you would have to pay. Because honestly the rest qualifies from 'ok' (room and beach) to plain 'bad' (food at restaurant).
Cost cutting on facilities and amenities is clearly visible - slippers provided in the room are made from paper, bathroom window does not close, coffee provided in the room is 10c instant coffee, yet guests are charged arm and leg: can of Coke - 50k IDR, 1h massage - 400k IDR and so on.

Special mentioning deserves the Spice Restaurant. I have a feeling that cooks/personnel there either have some grudge towards guests or (most likely) are plain incompetent in terms of cooking ANY food. Because how can you screw up Indonesian, Chinese, Malay and Indian food - all of them are in menu and ALL of they they managed to do it - is beyond me. Satay was over salty, crab dish was plain not fresh, pasta and keropoks (crackers) were saggy and they even managed to screw up tandoori chicken, while charging IDR 250k-300k per meal.
Honestly, if you planned to go stay at this property, it would be better if you order waves sounds for 99c and donate $199.01 for charity.
So... and if you read reviews I am not alone there. Especially on food - it is race to the bottom there.

It is comprised of Melayu and Chinese culture. Past years, it was dubbed as next big thing in Indonesia.
Whole Indonesia was dubbed as 'next big thing'. We know what came out from it.

Batam is more industrial. Well, it has its stories as you mentioned.

I have never been in both islands so can't say anything more.
Well, my previous post - in short, avoid.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by invisible
Honestly, comparing to Bintan's Tanjung Pinang and rest of the Bintan, Batam is an upscale modern city. Seriously - there is Starbucks there.
There are Starbucks all over Indonesia! Coffee bars are super popular hangouts in Indonesia.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zolex
There are Starbucks all over Indonesia! Coffee bars are super popular hangouts in Indonesia.
Guess I needed this sign...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.