Reload this Page >

3 Week Asia Trip - First Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Week Asia Trip - First Time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:02 pm

Food in Japan can actually be pretty cheap, especially now with the USD getting stronger against the Yen. For a point of reference, excluding flights, for 10 days in Japan, my SO and I spent $1000/person (that included the ~$250 seven day JR Pass). But we also didn't go to expensive restaurants, just lots of ramen, sushi, and tonkatsu, which can cost as little as $10/meal, although I think you should splurge on Kobe or Matsusaka beef.

Food in Bangkok, as you'd expect, is exceedingly cheap by Western standards; you can easily find "non-touristy" places where you can eat for $3/meal. Even at Nahm, you can have a set lunch menu for <$50/person. Another point of reference, my recent 3 week long trip through SE Asia, where the price of food was all comparable to Bangkok, I spent <$500 on food. And that included a lot of alcohol.

Last edited by calbear2005; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:40 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:38 am

I'm a budget traveler and from my previous trips, I spend the most on food/drink and nearly the same on hotels. For a 20 day trip, if you can save $20 per day on hotel, there's $400 right there, which is 8% of your budget. (I also tend to keep my hotels below $30 per night, so I often get confused/lost when people start talking about $100+ per night hotels in Asia).

$5000 is easily do-able, but just keep in mind that saving a bit each day really does add up over 3 weeks and it's somewhat easy to save money by going with slightly cheaper hotels.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I'm a budget traveler and from my previous trips, I spend the most on food/drink and nearly the same on hotels. For a 20 day trip, if you can save $20 per day on hotel, there's $400 right there, which is 8% of your budget. (I also tend to keep my hotels below $30 per night, so I often get confused/lost when people start talking about $100+ per night hotels in Asia).

$5000 is easily do-able, but just keep in mind that saving a bit each day really does add up over 3 weeks and it's somewhat easy to save money by going with slightly cheaper hotels.
$30 a night in Tokyo is a hostel.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by txflyer77
$30 a night in Tokyo is a hostel.
Yeap. Hotels in Japan are much more expensive than in US or Canada.

Yesterday I found 4.5* hotel in Jakarta's resort for $44 a night. I will spend there 4 days / 3 nights for $160 ai. This would equal to 1 night in Tokyo's decent hotel.

The cheapest hotel that I've stayed at in Tokyo area, were hotels around Narita airport for about $120 a night.
To save nice chunk of money, OP should use points for hotels in Japan.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ReallyNotFrequentFlyer
I plan to pay for my flights with points. I will also have around 220K Marriott and 60K SPG points by the time I book to use on hotels. My budget for everything else (whatever hotels points don’t cover + spending) will probably be around $5K USD.
As others have stated, very doable. If you are Gold or Plat with Marriott, CL access will give you free breakfast. I've spent as much as three weeks in Asia for much, much less than that. Usually I'm under $500/week, without hotels (points) but not entering Japan or Hong Kong.

Two things to add:

Sorry to throw other destinations into the mix, but Hanoi, with a side trip to Hoi An, and two days in Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) would be my top picks after Tokyo and Bangkok.

Others have mentioned LCC in Asia. Example: I've done roundtrip from Bangkok to Siem Reap for $72. As others have mentioned, as long as you aren't flying with any checked bags, there are bargains. You can leave your bag at most Asian airports. For example, I've been able to carry a few days worth of clothes in a small bag while leaving my large suitcase at DMK for six dollars. It can lower the cost of your travel and make your travel easier.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:41 am
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
My two cents: Get some diversity in your Asian experience. Japanese (Tokyo), Chinese (Beijing, Hong Kong or Shanghai) and one SouthEastAsia (Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Saigon or Laos/ Myanmar).

Pick one from each group, you'll be amazed how different Asia can be.

Some observations: Hong Kong is NYC written in Hanzi letters. To me, it's the world largest Chinatown, if that makes any sense. I love HKG, but I'd go to Beijing first.

Bangkok is also very modern, but has an air and excitement to it that is unique, plus the wonderful cuisine. Lots of day trips from there, including the ancient capital. If you are willing to tolerate rustic, then consider Phnom Penh. It's getting more and more modern every day, but there is still a sense of wild west to the place. I'd pick BKK.

So, I suggest Tokyo | Beijing | Bangkok. Different architecture, different foods, different cultures. Trip of a lifetime.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by LizGross144
I enjoyed my time in Hanoi - a week will be far too much, but you could do a 1 or 2 night side trip to Ha Long Bay (a must, in my opinion), and there are other day trips available to nearby ceramic villages, or a national park. I think 3 days in Hanoi proper would be good - take a food tour, check out the historical sites, and see a water puppet show to get a good sense for the stories that have shaped their culture.

Here's how I spent my time in Hanoi in late 2015 (part on our own, part with a tour group): http://grosstravelchronicles.blogspo...ch/label/Hanoi
Thanks Liz. I just spent the better part of an hour reading your blog. We've Vietnam bound this fall, and this really helps. ^

A friend suggest 2 nights on the boat in Ha Long. Some here suggest 1 night on the boat. What's your opinion?

Dan
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:11 am

I've been checking AirBnB for the Osaka area and seems like $40 per night including fees is pretty easy.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by dhammer53
A friend suggest 2 nights on the boat in Ha Long. Some here suggest 1 night on the boat. What's your opinion?

Dan
I only had the option to do one night, but I would have happily done two. That gives you a chance to go a little bit further afield, and in addition to a cave and a village you can do some kayaking, visit another cave, and/or spend some time on the beach if the weather is conducive to it.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I think you should do 5 nights in Tokyo and 3 in Kyoto personally. Kyoto still stands as one of my favorite places in the world. Tokyo can be done in 5 days as long as you're not dedicating only a few hours a day to activities. I raced through the city in 3, so 4 or 5 is fine. When looking for a hotel or hostel in Kyoto it'll likely show you stuff in Osaka. I would prefer to stay in Kyoto proper, it makes things much easier logistically.

As for Bangkok, the side trip you have planned is good. Like someone else said, a day trip to Singapore is very doable if you wanted to add one more destination. I wouldn't bother with the free city tour. Everything in Singapore is very compact so a quick Uber (Uber pool there is cheap) downtown and you're good. Of course that's all dependent on the airfare and timing.

Beijing, a day trip to the Great Wall is obvious. I took the train from central Beijing, I don't remember, something like the S2?? It was cheap, fast and clean. I wasn't a huge fan of the city. Sure, the Great Wall is a sight to see, but I think with your schedule, maybe Beijing is best kept for a trip solely to China? Hit Shanghai, Beijing and Xian all at once? I think a trip to Hanoi and the surrounding area or even Myanmar would be best.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by LizGross144
I only had the option to do one night, but I would have happily done two. That gives you a chance to go a little bit further afield, and in addition to a cave and a village you can do some kayaking, visit another cave, and/or spend some time on the beach if the weather is conducive to it.
Thank you. ^
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
In January I spent 6 (or maybe 5) nights in Hanoi and kept myself occupied. I like museums and so spent a goodly amount of time that way. In addition to the ones in Liz' report, I remember a women's museum, Vietnam national history, national art museum and a couple of small house museums in the old town. One highlight was a day I spent with a college student via Hanoi Free Tours. The students accompany visitors for no charge--the visitor pays all travel and entrance fees, plus lunch. With my student we went to the ethnology museum, somewhat out of town and she used Uber. Also spending an extended time with a local gave me the opportunity to talk about regular life in Hanoi and the life of a college student. There are also many art galleries/shops and so I wandered around. I went solo, no tour. Visiting Hanoi was fabulous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.