Reload this Page >

KUL Transfer Times (2016)

Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A

Hello All,

I am flying into KUL via CGK on Air Asia (Landing at 11:30PM) and leaving to DXB via Emirates at 1:10AM.

I am unsure how the domestic/low budget KLIA/KLIA2 are now setup.

Is this enough time?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I wouldn't risk it.

There's no airside transit between T2 ("KLIA2") and the Main Terminal. You have to go through the arrival formalities and hop on the KLIA Ekspres/Transit for MYR2 (~45 cents), which runs every 10-15 mins and takes about 5 mins.

Some faraway gates require lots of walking, and immigration lines for foreigners can be long. On a bad day this can easily take 90 mins. There's also another trudge from the arrival hall to the train station. If you miss the train, it'll be at least 30 mins to get to the Main Terminal including waiting and walking time.

The only way for this to work is if the stars align perfectly, with an early arrival at a nearby L-gate, no queues at immigration, no checked-bags, no wait for the train (with pre-purchased tickets to save time) and a good pair of running shoes.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hello All,

I am flying into KUL via CGK on Air Asia (Landing at 11:30PM) and leaving to DXB via Emirates at 1:10AM.

Is this enough time?

Thanks!
I'd say almost impossible. There is no sterile connector between T1 and T2 and you have to clear immigration at T2 and take the train to T1 and then clear immigration and security again.

As SilverChris said, this will only work if all the stars are aligned perfectly. If you do not have any bags to check AND you can OLCI, you might be able to make it but I wouldn't do it myself.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Aside from the starts aligning perfectly as mentioned above, I'll add a note that early morning and late night are when most of AirAsia's flights land in KUL, so the chance of an empty immigration is....not looking good.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hello All,

Is this enough time?

Thanks!

That's a very very tight schedule. I would suggest you change your Air Asia flight and try to get in on an earlier flight. You are likely to potentially miss your connecting flight. The immigration line, the LONG walk from gate to the immigration line and then out of the arrival hall at KLIA 2 to catch the train to KLIA 1 and then back up to departure hall and check in at the emirates counter will leave you with very very little time to spare...you may also be denied boarding.

Change your flight time for air asia and give yourself a minimum of 3 hours to be safe.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:42 pm

And lets not forget that the KLIA Transit/Ekspress service isn't 24hrs, finish service around midnight. And at KLIA you pass by a normal light security but then almost at your gate you pass another security check-point!

If someone wants to connect between KLIA/KLIA2 i would give four hours between flights, if not too risky!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.