Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

6 days Kuala Lumpur

6 days Kuala Lumpur

Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Sorry but KL is dull for visiting. Two days is more than sufficient. I would go to Melaka or Penang, Kota Kinabalu or Kuching if I had my way. Flights are short (2 hours 30 minutes), in-expensive (Malaysia airlines or air asia) to east malaysia or a 1 hour flight to Penang.

Food in KL is hit and miss. A lot of the outlets do not employ local cooks but have foreigner workers doing the cooking so, once again, it will be hit and miss especially for local malay and indian food.

However, given Malaysia and its cultural blend of so many cultures from indian to chinese to malay, there is a lot to see but....finish what you need to see in KL and go somewhere else. 6 days in KL is very very long in my humble opinion.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by El Regina
You are not a KLite nor an expert of the destination... Please dont talk too much like you are representing my city.
He is certainly well within his right to offer his opinion. Not quite sure what you are trying to do with this "...ike you reprenting my city."

If you are going to write these sorts of things, this forums may not be the best place for you especially when it comes to respecting opinions and suggestions.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:55 pm

I live in KL and i usually recommend two days, go to Melaka for a day, maybe overnight stay if you want to eat more, Penang has much to offer and is a compact place with much less traffic and even better food than KL, go to Langkawi, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, but KL?? Unless you like malls and shopping!!

And if public transport can't take you were you are going use Uber or Grab, taxis no way, and if absolutely needed use one who turns on meter! Few weeks ago there was a story about french tourists charged 800rm for a trip which should have been around 10-15rm but the driver even took them to Putrajaya (thats 40kms away!), obviously there is taxi drivers who are honest but better be safe than having a surprise!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ivelisse
I live in KL and i usually recommend two days, go to Melaka for a day, maybe overnight stay if you want to eat more, Penang has much to offer and is a compact place with much less traffic and even better food than KL, go to Langkawi, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, but KL?? Unless you like malls and shopping!!

And if public transport can't take you were you are going use Uber or Grab, taxis no way, and if absolutely needed use one who turns on meter! Few weeks ago there was a story about french tourists charged 800rm for a trip which should have been around 10-15rm but the driver even took them to Putrajaya (thats 40kms away!), obviously there is taxi drivers who are honest but better be safe than having a surprise!

Well said and wholly agree with your comments.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:05 am

It's a bit unfair to say there is only a day's worth of things to do in KL. I had a perfectly enjoyable 6 days there last year.
It not Asia's funnest/ most interesting city, but there's plenty to do. I don't want to repeat, as El Regina made a very detailed list above, but the Bird Park was pretty special. I also enjoyed a trip to the Batu Caves too.
There was plenty of delicious food, at dirt cheap prices too (compared to the UK).

I certainly enjoyed my trip to Malacca, but there certainly isn't as much to do there as KL. Though I really loved the Malacca style Chinese food - which I didn't see (but is probably available) in KL.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelDream
It's a bit unfair to say there is only a day's worth of things to do in KL. I had a perfectly enjoyable 6 days there last year.
It not Asia's funnest/ most interesting city, but there's plenty to do. I don't want to repeat, as El Regina made a very detailed list above, but the Bird Park was pretty special. I also enjoyed a trip to the Batu Caves too.
There was plenty of delicious food, at dirt cheap prices too (compared to the UK).

I certainly enjoyed my trip to Malacca, but there certainly isn't as much to do there as KL. Though I really loved the Malacca style Chinese food - which I didn't see (but is probably available) in KL.
According to DBKL and Tourism Malaysia, the average visitor to KL spends an average of 48 hours in KL before departing for Langkawi, Genting, Penang, Melaka or East Malaysia.

There is a reason whyfforeign visitors don't spend 5/6 or even 7 days in KL, bird parks, bukit kiara and sunway theme park included.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
According to DBKL and Tourism Malaysia, the average visitor to KL spends an average of 48 hours in KL before departing for Langkawi, Genting, Penang, Melaka or East Malaysia.

There is a reason why foreign visitors don't spend 5/6 or even 7 days in KL, bird parks, bukit kiara and sunway theme park included.
I used to work in the tourism industry, and based on our study, we found out that most foreign visitors to Malaysia, specifically in KL, have seriously lack of knowledge about the attractions available in the capital city. Majority of them came to us and said that the only attractions they knew about KL are:

1) KLCC/ Petronas Twin Towers
2) Petaling Street (China Town)
3) Merdeka Square
4) Batu Caves (Which is located in Selangor actually)
5) Jalan Alor
6) Bukit Bintang

Thats all about it. Most of the travelers who have visited KL in the past also didnt help very much because they will inform and pass about these same cliche attractions to the next traveler. And the cycle continues...

If you check out TripAdvisor, there are so many attractions available in KL but there will be only less than 1000 reviews for most of the attractions. Why? Because many travelers didnt bother to make a lot of homework and research about the city and they ended up to visit the same attraction again & again. Thus, other underdog attractions (which in my opinion are so much better and worth to visit than those famous attractions) remained unknown, deserted and empty. But luckily since few years ago, the KL Tourism Bureau realized about this situation and they have made more aggressive marketing to the traveler about the existence of less-known attractions and introducing new attractions in KL city. If you think there is not much things to see and do in KL during your last visit, please bear in mind that things are not always the same. The situation has changed.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

I used to work in the tourism industry, and based on our study, we found out that most foreign visitors to Malaysia, specifically in KL, have seriously lack of knowledge about the attractions available in the capital city. Majority of them came to us and said that the only attractions they knew about KL are:

1) KLCC/ Petronas Twin Towers
2) Petaling Street (China Town)
3) Merdeka Square
4) Batu Caves (Which is located in Selangor actually)
5) Jalan Alor
6) Bukit Bintang

Thats all about it. Most of the travelers who have visited KL in the past also didnt help very much because they will inform and pass about these same cliche attractions to the next traveler. And the cycle continues...

If you check out TripAdvisor, there are so many attractions available in KL but there will be only less than 1000 reviews for most of the attractions. Why? Because many travelers didnt bother to make a lot of homework and research about the city and they ended up to visit the same attraction again & again. Thus, other underdog attractions (which in my opinion are so much better and worth to visit than those famous attractions) remained unknown, deserted and empty. But luckily since few years ago, the KL Tourism Bureau realized about this situation and they have made more aggressive marketing to the traveler about the existence of less-known attractions and introducing new attractions in KL city. If you think there is not much things to see and do in KL during your last visit, please bear in mind that things are not always the same. The situation has changed.
I work with a consultancy to the Prime Minister's department and although I do not handle this particular account, I do have informal chats from time to time especially on regional travels with the team who do work with this government office about KL and tourism.

The majority of travellers who do stop over in KL do so for a short time frame and want to head out to the islands and beach's and resorts. They are not into hiking at Bukit Kiara as an example or are interested in bird parks.

Fair enough, there are who will bring their kids to the bird park or will check into Sunway Lagoon and spend 3-5 days there with the kids before flying off somewhere else or back home because they are in KL specifically for a reason.

The other type of tourist are the ones who come specifically for local food, given how famous Malaysian cuisine is and seafood is, especially the curries and the chinese style of cooking.

But, by en-large, the lack of information or rather why the information about Malaysia is not reaching people who want to know is because they already know what they want and don't want and as long as they get to do/see what they came for, they are good and ready to leave KL and move on to the next destination.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:41 am

I work with a consultancy to the Prime Minister's department and although I do not handle this particular account, I do have informal chats from time to time especially on regional travels with the team who do work with this government office about KL and tourism.

The majority of travellers who do stop over in KL do so for a short time frame and want to head out to the islands and beach's and resorts. They are not into hiking at Bukit Kiara as an example or are interested in bird parks.

Fair enough, there are who will bring their kids to the bird park or will check into Sunway Lagoon and spend 3-5 days there with the kids before flying off somewhere else or back home because they are in KL specifically for a reason.

The other type of tourist are the ones who come specifically for local food, given how famous Malaysian cuisine is and seafood is, especially the curries and the chinese style of cooking.

But, by en-large, the lack of information or rather why the information about Malaysia is not reaching people who want to know is because they already know what they want and don't want and as long as they get to do/see what they came for, they are good and ready to leave KL and move on to the next destination.
And that is why, we are working hard to change traveler's perception towards KL.... It is not impossible task after all. But it wont be an overnight process. You will see in the next few years, around year 2020, more foreign visitors to KL will discover its real beauty and spend their time there for 3-4 days (at least). This will be our main goal.....
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:27 am
Suspended

And that is why, we are working hard to change traveler's perception towards KL.... It is not impossible task after all. But it wont be an overnight process. You will see in the next few years, around year 2020, more foreign visitors to KL will discover its real beauty and spend their time there for 3-4 days (at least). This will be our main goal.....

KL and beauty just do not go together. Very sorry to say.

I have to admit, Kuala Lumpur is BETTER as a city than it was 10 years ago. DBKL have done some very good work and upgrading on many fronts but their current policy of destroying what's left of the green lungs (bukit kiara/bukit antarabangsa) leaves a lot to be desired.

Until there is such time the powers that be decide to put a stop to condo developments in every single green lunch area that exists, or building low cost apartments, there just is very very little greenary to be seen in the long term in the city alone.

I do think policy will change, but given sime darby`s relentless development of bukit kiara as an example and what remains of it, it does not bode well for the future.

Damansara Perdana being another example.

And too many foreigners doing the jobs locals should be/could be doing in the food industry and service industry.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Without any sarcasm - thanks for stating the fact.

KL would have a huge potential but... things are there that just won't help to make it a casual tourism destination.

Example - Was there for three days staying near Medan Tuanku. There was overpass next to our hotel. On steps of that overpass there was a blood spilled and not a small amount. Over the course of two days we had to cross over that stains couple of times daily and on third day my wife asked to take longer path just to avoid that spot.

And that's just one example.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by invisible
And that's just one example.
Of what?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:29 pm

I have to admit, Kuala Lumpur is BETTER as a city than it was 10 years ago. DBKL have done some very good work and upgrading on many fronts but their current policy of destroying what's left of the green lungs (bukit kiara/bukit antarabangsa) leaves a lot to be desired.

Until there is such time the powers that be decide to put a stop to condo developments in every single green lunch area that exists, or building low cost apartments, there just is very very little greenary to be seen in the long term in the city alone.

I do think policy will change, but given sime darby`s relentless development of bukit kiara as an example and what remains of it, it does not bode well for the future.

Damansara Perdana being another example.

And too many foreigners doing the jobs locals should be/could be doing in the food industry and service industry.
Development of condos and low cost apartments are everywhere in this world,not only happening in KL If this is your excuse to claim that not so much thing to see and do in KL, this is a very weak and lame excuse.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Put it this way: what does KL have that's unique? That you aren't better off finding in Penang or Melaka or even Singapore?

Having been to KL and all of those, absolutely nothing comes to mind. For food, I'd rather go to Penang or Singapore. History, Melaka and Penang. Nightlife, Singapore. Outdoor activities, pretty much anywhere else. Want to explore a jungle? Hop a flight to Kuching.

To be clear, I love Malaysia. I think it's an underrated country by most Western travelers. But KL is best thought of as a stopping point on the way to more interesting locales.

Last edited by txflyer77; Jan 17, 2017 at 4:41 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Development of condos and low cost apartments are everywhere in this world,not only happening in KL If this is your excuse to claim that not so much thing to see and do in KL, this is a very weak and lame excuse.
Look, if people are not interested in seeing things in KL, what else do you want to do~? Force people to join tours and to go to sites they have zero interest in seeing? You can't do that..and if people are not spending a longer period of time in KL, its not because they don't know about KL..but it's because it does not interest them.

People go to London and accept it will be a big city but go to the sites they want to visit...all around the city, be it Big Ben, Tower of London, crossing the Thames across the bridges, the various museums that APPEAL to individuals, or are up to trying local fish and chips and so forth. That's part of the whole London experince. And riding the london underground and visiting buckingham palace and hyde park.

Now, you listed a whole bunch of places and things to see in KL..but how easy is it to access those locations and compare the weather and humidity and time needed to go to each site and cost involved. Do you get the point I am trying to make?

Last edited by wolf72; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.