Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Do US citizens need Visa to visit Hong Kong and Tokyo?

Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

An american US citizen. Just wanting to visit each city one week. Thanks for any advice/pointers.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:58 pm

No and no.

Although wikipedia isn't to be trusted entirely, it's a good place to start research.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_r...tates_citizens
From this page you can check references to confirm info.

Also, you could have gone on the Chinese and Japanese consulate webpages to find out.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I have been to both and neither requires a US Citizen to obtain a VISA.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
As others have mentioned you do not need a visa for either of those. I might suggest taking a side trip to Macau as I think one week in Hong Kong might be a bit much. Dont get me wrong, we love the city and visit it often but you can cover it pretty easily.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks.

BTW, Being a fan of photography and nature... what gardens/temples/natural wonders just outside of these cities (that you can use public transportation/train to get to)

Would like to have a change of scenery from the city skyline skyscrapers when I get pics from there
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: most of them
Hong Kong is a very densely populated place. I didn't see any natural wonders there. I did take a little trip over the mountain though to a little fishing village area that was OK. We got there by bus. Other than the skyline I didn't find HK to be especially photogenic unless you like gritty street photography. I think there is one fairly large park on the Kowloon side though. I'm sure HKG fans will chime in. I've only spent about a week there and it's not a place I really enjoyed very much.

I liked the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Nice gardens and some old buildings juxtaposed against the modern skyline.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fay637
Thanks.

BTW, Being a fan of photography and nature... what gardens/temples/natural wonders just outside of these cities (that you can use public transportation/train to get to)

Would like to have a change of scenery from the city skyline skyscrapers when I get pics from there
Try the Dragon's Back trail: http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/s...iking-tour.jsp
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An american US citizen. Just wanting to visit each city one week. Thanks for any advice/pointers.
We did two overnight connects through Tokyo a few years ago. Typical first-world airport, no visas, very easy.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:25 pm

Thanks for any advice/pointers.
Make sure to have proof of onward travel, check-in agents sometimes ask to see it (itinerary printout for your following flight). Put a pen in your carry-on luggage so that you can complete the disembarkation card onboard. Be prepared to write the address of the place you're staying (hotel name should suffice). Certain common medicines (cough syrup) are controlled substances in Japan but most likely you won't be bringing any. Also, make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 more months beyond the date of your last departure. Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:00 pm

Go up the Peak and walk around Lugard Road.

You'll get pics of the city, but also views of the ocean, and the walk itself is amongst the natural cover of the Island. You can then walk down the south side of the mountain, if you'd like, which is also natural cover, and catch a bus back to the city.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
My favorite garden in Tokyo is Rikugien. It is particularly beautiful in the fall. I was just there a couple weeks ago and it was perfect timing for the autumn colors; many locals were there with serious camera gear in tow.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, NW
You sound like someone who needs a guidebook.

There are plenty of day trips into the countryside from Tokyo by train. Japan has one of the most extensive and efficient train systems in the world for both urban transit (in the largest cities) and intercity travel.

Your guidebook (several available at every large bookstore) will give you ideas.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Thanks.

Hiking is huge in HK. It's a mountainous place and most of its land area is undeveloped contrary to the belief of tourists who have never been more than 1 mile from their hotel in Central.

Sunset and Lantau Peaks are popular for their views of the skyline but often obscured by haze. The beaches of Tai Long Wan are beautiful and feel like a world away from the towers of Kowloon and HK. Pat Sin Leng has tremendous views towards Shenzen and over the ocean. All of these places are easily accessible by public transit.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:01 am

Many hikes in Hong Kong are pretty challenging, like those along Pat Sin Leng and up to the Lantau peaks. You must be prepared -- the right gear, water and a map are essential -- and be alert to the weather. Time your progress against sunset, and don't take shortcuts.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by 889
Many hikes in Hong Kong are pretty challenging, like those along Pat Sin Leng and up to the Lantau peaks. You must be prepared -- the right gear, water and a map are essential -- and be alert to the weather. Time your progress against sunset, and don't take shortcuts.
Completely agree. Don't forget that HK can be very warm, even in winter, so always pack a generous amount of water, sunscreen and a hat. Someone collapsed and died hiking Sharp Peak not even two weeks ago.

Regardless, I highly recommend anyone visiting for more than a couple days to get outside of the city and take a hike because it will show you another side to HK that many tourists don't know about. The many free to use, well-maintained trails and nature parks protected from development are in my opinion the ultimate "HKism" as you will not find such a popular appreciation for nature and hiking in most other SE Asian countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.