Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One week in Southeast Asia for first time visitor

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

One week in Southeast Asia for first time visitor

Planning a first trip to southeast asia with the wife for late November and having trouble finding the right balance for a fairly short itinerary (7-8 days). We're in our 30s, and want to experience different cultures (fwiw I'm American and my wife is Taiwanese), and see the sights. We like walking around and exploring, hiking. Beaches / water activities are good, but not mandatory. We've been to Taipei before, but never anywhere else in Asia. Thailand and Vietnam seemed to stand out in early research, but I'm open to any ideas. It would be great to see a couple areas/cities, so somewhere with easy day trips would be a plus, or we could add a short flight in the middle. This is probably the last international sightseeing trip for a long time (babies are in the near future), and want to get the most out of it.

We'll be traveling for around 15-16 days in total, but the last 7-8 days are already set to be in Taipei to visit my wife's family. We would leave from LAX originally and would return to LAX from TPE at the end of the trip. We have about 350k AA miles, but would otherwise spend cash on the flights (most likely economy, unless I can find rewards).

I appreciate any help!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:37 pm
Suspended

For 7-8 depends on your interest you can choose Thailand or Vietnam. I spent 20 days in Vietnam from North to South, with your short time you should visit north if Vietnam only as Hanoi - Sapa - Halong, Hanoi street food, walking in old town or live music on street at weekend were our great experience. Soft trekking in Sapa to visit local people and local market, Halong Bay is beautiful and good place to relax, swim or do kayaking.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: most of them
I'd say 7-8 days is enough for one country. Personally I much prefer Thailand. I think it's basically the easiest intro to SE Asia.

You could easily do Bangkok and something like Chiang Mai and surrounding areas. Plenty of outdoor-ish activities in the north (around CM) if you like hiking and so forth.

Do you really need to go back via TPE? Seems like it's usually possible to find seats on Cathay Pacific from BKK to LAX via HKG where you could use AA miles.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
It might worth to consider Java and Bali in Indonesia.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:45 am

What about the Philippines?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:51 am

November is the perfect time to visit Thailand, start of good weather and high season. Plus I'd also highly recommend a 2 day visit to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Btw these two countries, you'll have a great 7-8 days. PM for additional details.

You can get non-stop from Taipei to Bkk on Eva Air, plus also Lax/Tpe on Eva.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:39 pm

I'd do Angkor Wat, Hanoi and Huế.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I would consider Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. Kanchanaburi offers lots of national parks and historic sites, especially the Australian war memorial at Hellfire Pass.

Alternatively, consider splitting your seven days between Penang and Langkawi in Malaysia, probably with a day in KL on your way in or out. Amazing food and history in Penang and (IMO) one of the more interesting urban areas to explore on foot in SE Asia, plus Langkawi offers lots of outdoor recreation (beaches, jungle treks, mangrove tours).

CI offers nonstop flights to Penang.

With only seven days I would try to stick to a relatively small area rather than trying to cover an entire country.

Links:

Kanchanaburi

Langkawi

Penang
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:00 pm

Bangkok is not really a very pleasant place, and if they're spending time in Taipei then Bangkok won't provide much a change of pace. May as well just go to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Travelling Vietnam and Thailand during 15 days, you can spend a week in Thailand and a week in Vietnam. In Vietnam, you can book tour or DIY to Hanoi, Halong, HCMC and Mekong Delta as well. You can refer at https://www.vietnamtourbooking.com/en/ to make itinerary
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: traveling
With over one week, in Vietnam, you can visit one region like Hoian - Danang - Hue (Central Vietnam) or Halong - Halong - Sapa (North Vietnam) or Saigon - Cu Chi tunnel - Mekong Delta (South Vietnam).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by 889
I'd do Angkor Wat, Hanoi and Huế.
Having spent the pat four years living in SEAsia, I'd second this for someone wanting to get a quick taste. Not too ambitious, but a variety of culture, food, and sights.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by 889
Bangkok is not really a very pleasant place, and if they're spending time in Taipei then Bangkok won't provide much a change of pace. May as well just go to Hong Kong.
Bkk and Taipei are completely different in terms of tourist sites, food, things to do. I've lived in both cities for extended periods of time, my wife is originally from taiwan and she spends more time in Bkk than Tpe.

HK is great city to visit, I didn't mention it as not normally considered SE Asia.
Vietnam is also well worth exploring.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:19 am

I would personally recommend Thailand over Vietnam to you. It will be more comfortable, more "exotic" and better foods. Both countries are a lot different than Taiwan, and I think you will have a good time.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the replies, it's been very helpful. I've narrowed down my list a bit, but still not sure how to settle the Thailand vs Vietnam debate.
I do think I should limit myself to one plane ride mid-trip, so the Angkor Wat suggestions sounded good, or maybe another area of the same country, but probably not both. These are my leaders right now-

Bangkok, Kanchanaburi / Angkor Wat
Bangkok, Kanchanaburi / Chiang Mai
Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa? / Angkor Wat
Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa? / Hue, Hoi An?

And to the person who asked, the Taipei part of the trip is outside of my control, so I will be flying from SE Asia to Taipei for a week and then back to LAX.

If anyone has any other thoughts I'd be happy to hear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.