Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Overland travel from HCMC to Phnom Penh - what are options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Friend of mine is looking for options to get from HCMC to Phnom Penh over land because one way ticket is >$150 and it is too expensive for him.

Could you please tell, what are reasonable options? As you understand, budget is the key, but it is not everything - safety is necessary and adequate level of comfort is required as well.

How much time such trip would take? One thing is clear - under no case he should take a bus/minivan which travels at night - this is big no-no.

One more thing - he is planning to have Cambodian e-visa, but it is also important that the place where bus is going to cross the border has ability to process his e-visa.

Last edited by invisible; Jul 8, 2016 at 9:15 am
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:07 pm

A business associate does the trip by bus every few months.
Similarly friends of ours, one spouse working in HCMC, other working in PP do the bus run fairly regularly.

If memory serves me correct, they said about 4-5 hours (?)....do a google search for detail timetables -- operate daily in daytime.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
http://seat61.com/Cambodia.htm#Saigon to Phnom Penh
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:29 pm

I'm a bit confused on what you're trying to ask.

Land travel usually implies vehicles with wheels. So there are cars, trucks, vans and buses. You can find one that goes during the day. The link above goes over bus options.

Is that what you are asking or are you trying to find some specific information that you haven't specified?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by invisible
Friend of mine is looking for options to get from HCMC to Phnom Penh over land because one way ticket is >$150 and it is too expensive for him.

Could you please tell, what are reasonable options? As you understand, budget is the key, but it is not everything - safety is necessary and adequate level of comfort is required as well.
The bus is cheap, comfortable and very, very easy. Cambodian operators are preferred. For under $20, it's a steal, and it only takes six hours or so. I've always got a visa at the border: perfectly straightforward (the Cambodian bus hostess usually helps; Vietnamese counterparts would probably be looking for a tip). No idea about e-visas, I imagine they're processed, but I wouldn't bother - it's not going to make any material difference to the border crossing time.

There's a more complicated, more expensive route via ferries I've never investigated.

Canby has the best website for things Khmer: here is their page regarding Saigon Phnom Penh links: http://www.canbypublications.com/phn...sp.htm#vietnam
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:45 pm
Suspended

We took bus from HCM - Phnom Penh with price 14 USD but it was long way. Departure HCM at 07:00 AM - arrive Phnom Penh at 2:00 PM. Bus was fine and we had time time to see local people.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:00 pm
Suspended

You go from HCMC to PP via a daily bus or riverboat. Then a Bus/Riverboat from PP to Siem Reap.

It's a total of 500-600km depending which mode of travel you take and will cost you $25-$40 roughly for the whole trip.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I'm a bit confused on what you're trying to ask.

Is that what you are asking or are you trying to find some specific information that you haven't specified?
Was not not clear in the original message? Let me repeat:

What are reasonable options? ...budget is the key, but safety is necessary and adequate level of comfort is required as well. How much time such trip would take?
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Very useful, thank you. Answers all the questions.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Canby has the best website for things Khmer: here is their page regarding Saigon Phnom Penh links: http://www.canbypublications.com/phn...sp.htm#vietnam
Thanks Ian, exactly what he is looking for.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Was not not clear in the original message? Let me repeat:
So take a bus then
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chrisphh
You go from HCMC to PP via a daily bus or riverboat. Then a Bus/Riverboat from PP to Siem Reap.

It's a total of 500-600km depending which mode of travel you take and will cost you $25-$40 roughly for the whole trip.
Last I heard, about 6 years ago, the boat to/from Siem Reap was $35 each way. On top of the price it's cramped, slow and demands tuk tuk negotiations in Siem Reap. It's hands down the least desirable mode of travel excepting the views.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Last I heard, about 6 years ago, the boat to/from Siem Reap was $35 each way. On top of the price it's cramped, slow and demands tuk tuk negotiations in Siem Reap. It's hands down the least desirable mode of travel excepting the views.
I've done it before. The views are nice for 30 minutes. You're stuck on a dingy boat, and then packed into a minivan that drives you into PP. Then you are dropped off at a place where dozens of tuk tuk drivers try to force you to ride with them. It was interesting the first time, but bus is more comfortable and faster.

It was interesting pulling the boat over to go through immigration though!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: traveling
There are quite a few routes from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh everyday. The bus starts in Pham Ngu Lao street and it takes 5 hours to come to Phnom Penh. The price is about 12 USD.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:34 pm

Anybody know about the "night bus"? I read there wasn't really a night bus. Just a normal bus that stops for hours at the border.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I've done it before. The views are nice for 30 minutes. You're stuck on a dingy boat, and then packed into a minivan that drives you into PP. Then you are dropped off at a place where dozens of tuk tuk drivers try to force you to ride with them. It was interesting the first time, but bus is more comfortable and faster.

It was interesting pulling the boat over to go through immigration though!
I was responding to the PP/REP boat in the post I quoted, but I see that wasn't entirely clear.

Having also done the international boat up the Mekong I'd say that was more enjoyable than the one from PP to REP, but it was also before the road was in decent condition between the two countries and the boat might well have been the quicker method then.

Now there's no reason to do anything but a bus.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:48 am
Suspended

the cheapest way to travel from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh is taking a bus. It takes about 6 hours for transfering and the ticket is about $11-$13.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.