Wiki Posts
Search

Mongolia in Late Nov - Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Mongolia in Late Nov - Bad idea?

So, I have a bunch of days off around Thanksgiving. By taking a few more days off, I am planning trip somewhere.

I've been considering Mongolia. But I am not sure if it is a good idea to visit Mongolia around Thanksgiving. I understand perceiving weather is very relative. I live in SoCal and not-a-big-fan of cold weather, but thats not to say I cant endure it. FWIW I was in Copenhangen last December and found it not too hard to manage with the right clothing.

So, like the title says, Is Mongolia (UlaanBataar and around) a bad idea in second half of November?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: various
A bad idea indeed. It's much colder than Copenhagen in December. In Fahrenheit terms (since you are US-based), think 0-15 degrees daytime. Potentially howling winds coming down from Siberia. Endure would be an appropriate word, even with the right clothing. Plus, lots of tourist infrastructure is closed. To see much of Mongolia you really need a couple of weeks at least, preferably late May to early September.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by jiejie
A bad idea indeed.
Thats what my friends and family said.

Jokes apart, Thanks for the reply. I'll push it out to next summer!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jiejie
A bad idea indeed. It's much colder than Copenhagen in December. In Fahrenheit terms (since you are US-based), think 0-15 degrees daytime. Potentially howling winds coming down from Siberia. Endure would be an appropriate word, even with the right clothing. Plus, lots of tourist infrastructure is closed. To see much of Mongolia you really need a couple of weeks at least, preferably late May to early September.
Just book a flight to Edmonton.....a lot closer and you can enjoy the same type of temps.

If you really want a frigid blast, try late January. You will never forget it.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Mongolia in winter: Freeze to death outside, die of heat exhaustion inside.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I went during Naadam in July and it was pleasant with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the upper 40s. I think that's the warmest time of the year. All downhill from there. I think UB is the world's coldest capital.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.