Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rrz518
Yes, I agree, as both Hanoi and Hoi An seem to be universally recommended. I've seen recommendations for a night train from Hanoi, but 16 hours seems to be a bit much. Is it possible (or recommended) to drive? I suppose flying to Da Nang is a good way to go as well.
If anyone is going to Hoi An, I would recommend not eating any seafood at the moment. Lots of dead fish washing up and accusations that the steel company released chemicals into the ocean.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Definitely too much for me. Just fly to DAD.
And no way you gonna drive there. You'll understand why as soon as you'll arrive in Hanoi
Driving a car in the city sucks, but it isn't bad outside of the city. I drove a moped around, which was easier to maneuver.

Originally Posted by Mickidon
LOL on the driving comment. It took me 12 hours just to get the courage to cross the street on foot. Did lots of loops around the Metropole in Hanoi upon arrival.

And I think both cities are doing in this short time frame.
The secret to crossing the street is to let go of your fear and just walk across. They will avoid hitting you.

Originally Posted by Daawgon
Everyone but everyone in Asia want to learn English, and what a great way for tourists to meet the locals. On my recent trip in March, I spent at least 2 hours every day around Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi, and students, young kids and even one 93 year old man came up to me and asked if they could practice their English.
No one ever came up to me asking to practice their English. The only people I spoke English to in Vietnam were tourists and expats. LOL
Old May 4, 2016, 8:42 pm

Spent 2 days in Hanoi last fall.

Loved it, for all the reasons noted above. It was not what I was expecting, completely different from Hong Kong. And from most cities I've visited, for that matter.

Chatting with the university students around the lake was a great way to get an insight into what it's like to live in Vietnam.

I can't wait to go back, this time to both Hanoi and HCMC.

Flew Dragonair from Hong Kong.

Check Cathay Pacific--every week they post cheap flights to various cities. You have to sign up, and they send you an e-mail notification. Fares don't last long, but deals to be had.

I stayed at a small hotel near the Cathedral (Joseph's) and it was perfect.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Three days in Hanoi was plenty for me, and the Intercontinental Hanoi West Lake was very nice (and they actually recognized Spire members).

I'd take the extra 2 days and go to Ha Long Bay because it's absolutely beautiful ... but if you're a "night life" type of person, book one of the overnight junks that caters toward the party crowd.

You can read about our time in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay on my blog if you like. It was done partly independently and partly as part of an organized tour.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:37 am

I'll be the dissenting voice, just for the other side of the coin. HAN is hotter if you're going in the northern summer, and air pollution is getting worse than in SGN. Also I think the food is way better in the south. Other than that though, it is more quaint and more of the common history I suppose, so that part is somewhat right.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:24 am

I prefer the people in Saigon. People say there's not much "local" stuff there, and in the sense of history, yea, it isn't quite the same. But just like in every big cities there are hidden finds: where you can watch the sunset from the bridge, there is a very nice lake with a mall around it somewhere outside district 1, much more diverse selection of food (including alleys with Japanese restaurants!).
Old May 9, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
there are hidden finds: where you can watch the sunset from the bridge, there is a very nice lake with a mall around it somewhere outside district 1, much more diverse selection of food (including alleys with Japanese restaurants!).
Can you give us a better idea of where this place is at? Google Maps isn't helping much
Old May 9, 2016, 11:16 am

I'm guessing he's talking about Crescent Mall in D7 Phu My Hung area for the lake with the mall. But quite a few small parks have little lakes in them.

Lots of places to watch the sunset and many thousands of alleys with little restaurants. Main Japanese ones are in d1 E/NE of Vincom towards the Techcombank Tower.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
To be correct, the "half moon lake" at the Crescent Mall in Phu My Hung is an artificial lake.

The Japanese restaurants can be found on the stretch of Le Thanh Ton street, starting from the intersection with Ton Duc Thang street, ending around the intersection with Thai Van Lung Street.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by hxhbk
To be correct, the "half moon lake" at the Crescent Mall in Phu My Hung is an artificial lake.
It is good in Vietnam to be "artificial". I think of natural like the Mekong, horrendously dirty. Or the Saigon River.

But yes, I was referring to Crescent Walk.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It is good in Vietnam to be "artificial". I think of natural like the Mekong, horrendously dirty. Or the Saigon River.

But yes, I was referring to Crescent Walk.
But what alley by Crescent Walk has the Japanese restaurants? Is it part of the mall complex or a separate alley that has existed for decades?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
But what alley by Crescent Walk has the Japanese restaurants? Is it part of the mall complex or a separate alley that has existed for decades?
The alleys are in District 1. Where hxhbk said. And pretty decent, even though it isn't cooked by Japanese people (at least the ramen place I went to).

The Crescent Walk doesn't have any, as far as I know.

Sorry, things are pretty spread apart in Saigon. Well, 20 minutes by motorbike ...
Old May 12, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by vh_bu98

The secret to crossing the street is to let go of your fear and just walk across. They will avoid hitting you.

No one ever came up to me asking to practice their English. The only people I spoke English to in Vietnam were tourists and expats. LOL
Watch the traffic for a bit then just slowly start to walk across the road. Bikes will go around you. Don't dart through traffic or run. They will see you. Or, stand near some locals and go when they go.

I had people talk to me and say they wanted to talk in English. One funny young guy said he went to Uni in Australia and asked if I liked eating dog! He joked that he loved it then said.... I only kidding. He was lovely. As were the young girls that helped me cross the road then chatted to me after for 10 mins.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:04 am

[QUOTE=Annalisa12;26613461]Watch the traffic for a bit then just slowly start to walk across the road. Bikes will go around you. Don't dart through traffic or run. They will see you. Or, stand near some locals and go when they go.

The key is NOT to change you pace as you cross. Bikes are good at adjusting
if walkers don't surprise them. The first time I crossed the street, our guide
took my arm, told me to close my eyes and just walk at a steady pace.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:45 am

2 nights in Hanoi
1 night in Halong Bay
2 nights in HCMC
OR
2 nights in Hanoi
2 nights in HCMC
1 night in Mekong
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Hanoi is the best of this country, no question. I would not try to see both places - you'd just be wasting too much time in transit (things move slowly here, even planes!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.